Best ecollar with vibrate feature?

wberry85

Best ecollar with vibrate feature?

Post by wberry85 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Seems like vibrate is a rare feature on ecollars. I couldnt find anything from TT except for thier Sport Basic with a "buzz" feature.

The H20 1820 from DT Systems looks nice but I have never owned/used a collar from them before. Any others I am missing?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Best ecollar with vibrate feature?

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:02 pm

That H-20 is a good one. You won't find anything better as far as my experience goes.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:13 pm

I'm not fond of my sportdog sd 1820/1800 because of my experience with bad ones, even though the one I have now seems to work ok

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm

I like the vibrate feature just fine on my SD-2525 Prohunter. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Why cant they just make a collar with vibrate/tone/continuous/momentary stimulation all in one??

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

wberry85 wrote:Why cant they just make a collar with vibrate/tone/continuous/momentary stimulation all in one??
There is no real use for a vibrate feature. That's why they have never been popular. Most trainers do NOT believe in warning a dog. For simple recall, the tone is as effective as a whistle.

Every time you warn a dog without a correction, you solidify in his mind that he can do something incorrectly at least once without being corrected for it. Next time he'll try it twice.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 pm

wberry85 wrote:Why cant they just make a collar with vibrate/tone/continuous/momentary stimulation all in one??
They do. My ProHunter has Vibrate, Tone, Momentary, and Continuous Stimulation.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:28 pm

with the newer collars I see no reason for vibrate as the lower levels of the e collar it self has less stimulation value then that of the vibrate.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
There is no real use for a vibrate feature. That's why they have never been popular. Most trainers do NOT believe in warning a dog. For simple recall, the tone is as effective as a whistle.

Every time you warn a dog without a correction, you solidify in his mind that he can do something incorrectly at least once without being corrected for it. Next time he'll try it twice.
I have a soft dog that kind of shuts down when I zap him. I am using the lowest level on my SD800 and he still will just kind of go non responsive with pressure. I was hoping the vibrate warning could let me send a message to him without putting too much negative stimulation on him.

Yes, he is a whimp.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Sounds like he has no idea of what the stimulation os for and in the process learned that shutting down is his way out of doing what you wanted.

I do not zap my dog my dogs go through a process of learning cues I start with a command lead over lay to the check cord and then over lay to the e collar we work on bending exercises in the field and then work them to come to me...

I am betting one of his first sensations to feeling the e collar was on a recall command

If he is that reactive to the stimulation of the e collar he will have the same response to the vibrate JMHO
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:46 pm

He responds well to ecollar with recall and most other commands. He responds very poorly with things like heel. Maybe he just doesnt know the command as well as I thought he did...

I always try and keep a goal to not ever have his tail between his legs when we are training and always keep things fun. Stimulation shuts him down quick and he loses a lot of will to keep going when I apply pressure but I think maybe I am being too tough on him. I am used to training hard headed dogs and he is so soft its a totally different way I have to go about it.

JKP

Post by JKP » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Disagree....I don't use the pager as a warning...I use it to hunt without making any noise....I use it to bring the dog around without having to whistle or make any sound. I like hunting without the noise and although I can't prove it, IMO it keeps more game in the field/grouse in the woods. I know its a whole lot more pleasant than hearing someone whistling for his dog when I'm hunting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 pm

kninebirddog wrote:with the newer collars I see no reason for vibrate as the lower levels of the e collar it self has less stimulation value then that of the vibrate.
I think you are right and that is why I like it. Works wonders when the dog's mind is wandering.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:11 pm

I have the Dogtra 200NCP Gold ; it has the nick ,cont, and the vibrate feature [pager]work nice ; i use it on my deaf dog.
the shock goes from 0-100,,,you select.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I agree with JKP, that is the same way I use my collars, my favorite has been the Dogtra series. I have no complaints with my SD 1225 Sportdog to date, hopefully it lasts 8+ years as well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 pm

wberry85 wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:

I have a soft dog that kind of shuts down when I zap him. I am using the lowest level on my SD800 and he still will just kind of go non responsive with pressure. I was hoping the vibrate warning could let me send a message to him without putting too much negative stimulation on him.

Yes, he is a whimp.
The dog's yankin' your chain. Either he is not properly collar conditioned of he has YOU conditioned. There is NO such thing as too soft a dog. Any dog can be trained with one of today's ecollars using the various stimulus modes.

When they shut down, you MAKE them do it anyhow, sometimes by raising the intensity. Even it the dog rolls on it's back, it's simply testing you.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 pm

http://dogtra-ecollars.net/2500.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:59 am

I also have a dogtra 200ncp gold with the vibrate feature and love it. Had it for 3 yrs and just put new batteries in it and it works great .

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:48 am

Best little collar out there - and its successor in the Dogtra line is almost as good and also has the vibrate function.

Agree with GH - it's not a necessary or oft-used aspect of e-collar training. But it can have some fun side-effects if used on a dog that's been trained only with stimulation and by indirect pressure. (Yes, I know that's Greek to most on here but...Some are trying to get out of the dark ages - I see kninebirddog seems to have the idea.)

The vibrate function used as direct pressure in giving the "leave it" command or (for retrievers) the "get out of there" command if the dog goes back to the area of an old fall will wise them up in a hurry. Doesn't hurt the dog, doesn't scar the dog (maybe scares it a little), and is very effective at conveying the message.

But what the original poster really needs is to have his basic obedience down with his dog and then move on to collar conditioning - and forget about the vibrate function.

MG

RoseRich

Post by RoseRich » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:26 am

kninebirddog wrote:Sounds like he has no idea of what the stimulation os for and in the process learned that shutting down is his way out of doing what you wanted.

I do not zap my dog my dogs go through a process of learning cues I start with a command lead over lay to the check cord and then over lay to the e collar we work on bending exercises in the field and then work them to come to me...

I am betting one of his first sensations to feeling the e collar was on a recall command

If he is that reactive to the stimulation of the e collar he will have the same response to the vibrate JMHO
Knine, when you overlay the e-collar, what order of stimulation do you use? The dog first responds to turn off the stimulation from the check cord. When it's time to put the e-collar on, do you leave the check cord on the dog, but just give him a electric stimulation and expect him to turn/quarter? Or give him a tug with the cord and a shock at the same time? Basically, how do you make sure that the dog knows that the shock is replacing the tug for stimulus? Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:06 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:

Your're right but I use the vibrate button for a dog that is deaf and blind but still wants to hunt. I'm not going to give him a correction every time I want him to check in , but the vibrate option works great for him.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett