Pudelpointer in AKC events

pointshootretrieve

Pudelpointer in AKC events

Post by pointshootretrieve » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew if I could run a Pudelpointer in hunt tests, trials even though they don't recognize the breed?

Vision

Re: Pudelpointer in AKC events

Post by Vision » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Nope. Only AKC registered dogs can compete in AKC events

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:17 pm

If they are FSS, they may be able to enter in non-competitive events. That's something the parent club has to request. Not sure where they'd land with AKC. Have you checked into NAVHDA?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:34 pm

I think in some events non-akc dogs can be entered as "mixed-breeds" or "non-recognized" but I believe they must be spayed or neutered.

UKC recognizes PP's.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:08 pm

One of the founders of NAVHDA (Bodo Winterheldt) is credited for bringing the Pudelpointer from Germany to North America. http://www.navhda.org/started.html The most prominent PP breeder in the country (Bob Farris at Cedarwoods) uses the NAVHDA Utility Test as a breed qualifying test before he continues a line of his dogs. His method roughly parallels the German test requirements with the DD. Bob only breeds dogs that are Utility prized or higher.

Several PP's have also been titled in NSTRA. Here's the search function for winners. http://www.nstra.org/Members/trialsearch.asp

I don't have time to look them up. I would guess that looking in the NW United States would be the most productive since that's where the highest concentration of PP breeders are. Look around the Boise area.
Last edited by AzDoggin on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razor

Post by Razor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:20 pm

It is similar to the german testing system but not the same. They do not use fur, and the german system has much more difficult standards that have to be met to breed.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:30 pm

They are recognized by the Canadian Kennel Club, might want to look there.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:44 am

Not allowed (AKC) - however, there's the possibility of running a PP as a "demonstration dog" in either pointing hunt tests or retriever tests, as I've done with dogs down the years.

A number of the continental breeds - first among them spinoni, followed by WPGs and GWPs - became eligible earlier this year for AKC retriever tests. Which is why if I owned a draht, just for funsies and to get to play in the AKC games, I'd want to also register it as a GWP.

MG

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:03 am

they can run in AF events, why even bother with AKC...NAVDA, GNA of PP club, you have NSTRA and AF that should cover any type of event your after I would suspect. I would just pray the AKC never gets that breed into it's registry

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:18 am

ymepointer wrote:they can run in AF events, why even bother with AKC...NAVDA, GNA of PP club, you have NSTRA and AF that should cover any type of event your after I would suspect. I would just pray the AKC never gets that breed into it's registry
Agree with you - and so do the PP breeders in the breeder's alliance. Their main venue is NAVHDA - but they want the focus on breeding for performance, not confirmation alone. That's a good thing in my mind (not trying to offend anyone here) because with all the variation in PP coats, it would change the breed if folks started seeking confirmation as the #1 priority.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 am

ymepointer wrote:they can run in AF events, why even bother with AKC...NAVDA, GNA of PP club, you have NSTRA and AF that should cover any type of event your after I would suspect. I would just pray the AKC never gets that breed into it's registry
They won't unless the Pudelpointer Club petitions them to be included just like every other breed that has been included.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 am

The heinous thing about it is any Tom, D*ck and Harry and a couple of others can declare themselves a "breed club" and petition AKC for inclusion. That's how your favorite breed, Ezzy - you know, the Boykin spaniel - got shanghaied into AKC a couple years back over the vehement objections of the true breed club, the Boykin Spaniel Society. Does have its benefits, however, in Boykins soon being eligible to compete in the best retriever tests, which are AKC. In fact, when it comes to retrievers, AKC's best at about everything (best and "only" for retriever field trials).

For a versatile breed that has more retriever lineage (pudel or poodle) than any other, that might be worth considering by pudelpointer people. NAVHDA's great, and great fun, but when it comes to retriever requirements and skills, it's squarely at grade school level.

MG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:35 am

crackerd wrote:The heinous thing about it is any Tom, D*ck and Harry and a couple of others can declare themselves a "breed club" and petition AKC for inclusion. That's how your favorite breed, Ezzy - you know, the Boykin spaniel - got shanghaied into AKC a couple years back over the vehement objections of the true breed club, the Boykin Spaniel Society. Does have its benefits, however, in Boykins soon being eligible to compete in the best retriever tests, which are AKC. In fact, when it comes to retrievers, AKC's best at about everything (best and "only" for retriever field trials).

For a versatile breed that has more retriever lineage (pudel or poodle) than any other, that might be worth considering by pudelpointer people. NAVHDA's great, and great fun, but when it comes to retriever requirements and skills, it's squarely at grade school level.

MG
And this can't happen if the true club had petitioned to be reconized as the official Boykin Club instead of just saying they are.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 am

But who would they petition to? AKC, of course.

They're recognized as the "true parent club" by those who work their gundogs - just like the pudelpointer's true parent club.

In other words, they could've petitioned AKC for continued exclusion of their breed, but it would just fall on deaf ears until a splinter group of show people asked for Boykins (or tollers or Russell terriers) to be recognized by AKC.

And then AKC $hout$ a big welcome...come one, come all.

MG