Must have's for first time owners

isuhunter

Must have's for first time owners

Post by isuhunter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:39 pm

As we are narrowing down our search for our first hunting dog (GSP female), we'd like to make sure we are completely prepared.

What are things that you guys view are the "must haves" for first time owners? I ordered a copy of the training for the versatile hunting dog and the NAVHDA greenbook. Thanks!

proudag08

Re: Must have's for first time owners

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Crate, checkcord, patience.
Thasts from a wise ol Cajun that hangs around here sometimes... :)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:03 pm

If your pup is going to stay in doors, a box of foam ear plugs is a must 8)

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:13 pm

The same kind of puppy food the breeder is feeding.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:25 pm

Some 'non-squeeky' things that they are allowed free access to chew on. I like nylabones and bully sticks.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:30 pm

Crate, checkcord, patience.
What brand of crate and size do you guys recommend? Sounds like the puppy we are likely going with will be approx 50-55 lb full grown.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 pm

Buy a crate just bigger than the puppy or one with a divider in it that can be moved as he grows. The crate need only be big enough for the dog to turn around in. This makes crate training/potty training a whole lot easier. It should be small enough that if he pees or poops (he shouldn't b/c you're going to make sure he gets outside enough) then he has to lay in it. If the crate is big enough that he can pee in one side and sleep in the other, that defeats the purpose of crate training for potty training. You can buy a bigger crate as the dog grows. I get them off Craigslist regularly. I like the wire crates - keeps the dog a part of what's happening in the house because he can see out of it easily.

Google crate training and follow the advice given - it's a good deal to have a dog that is crate trained. Good in emergencies in case he needs to be transported and kept somewhere (like the Joplin tornado - lots of dogs in the shelter for weeks) and a great aid in potty training. The crate is NEVER to be used as a punishment place. This is his "den", his home, where he eats and sleeps and chews on his kong or bully stick.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Do you guys recommend keeping some pheasant feathers frozen to have for training?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:45 pm

isuhunter wrote:Do you guys recommend keeping some pheasant feathers frozen to have for training?
Totally useless. I will use frozen birds for some retrieving, but that's all.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:06 pm

+1 On the crate, check cord and patience.
Read plenty of different books and fimilarize yourself with the equipment you plan on using.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm

RoostersMom wrote:Buy a crate just bigger than the puppy or one with a divider in it that can be moved as he grows. The crate need only be big enough for the dog to turn around in. This makes crate training/potty training a whole lot easier. It should be small enough that if he pees or poops (he shouldn't b/c you're going to make sure he gets outside enough) then he has to lay in it. If the crate is big enough that he can pee in one side and sleep in the other, that defeats the purpose of crate training for potty training. You can buy a bigger crate as the dog grows. I get them off Craigslist regularly. I like the wire crates - keeps the dog a part of what's happening in the house because he can see out of it easily.

Google crate training and follow the advice given - it's a good deal to have a dog that is crate trained. Good in emergencies in case he needs to be transported and kept somewhere (like the Joplin tornado - lots of dogs in the shelter for weeks) and a great aid in potty training. The crate is NEVER to be used as a punishment place. This is his "den", his home, where he eats and sleeps and chews on his kong or bully stick.
Should not only be able to turn but should be able to fully stand up.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:10 am

Great suggestions from everyone, and I would add the Huntsmith Puppy Development 1 and 2 DVDs. They will give you an idea of how to start on a path to your long term goals in the field without overloading your pup. Sign up for a Foundation Seminar from Rick or Ronnie Smith for next summer. Best thing I ever did.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 am

Everything so far is great advice, but you really need to run to the store every pay period and buy two to three bags of patience at a time. you will need plenty but your wife will be the biggest consumer of your patience supply. Have plenty of toys to chew on. The best I have gotten so far for Kona is the small tire on a rope. She is 7 mos now and is on her second one. Good luck and send pics when the new member hits the house.

BE CONSISTANT IN YOUR TRAINING,

Joe

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 am

We've ordered the NAVHDA green book and Training for versatile hunting dogs.

Are there other books more about obedience that we should be looking at too?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:11 am

If you are referring to Chuck Johnson's book, it covers basic obedience, socialization and manners quite well. If you just want additional reading material, Dog Training for Dummies is a really good reference. Most of the behavior you want in a dog comes in the original package. You just have to reinforce what you want and not try to reinvent the dog.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:16 am

Yep the Chuck Johnson book is the one I ordered.

Are there any toys that you wouldn't let a pup have right away? I can remember hearing two friends talk about not letting their lab pups play with bumpers.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:23 am

Bottles of Nature's Miracle or similar carpet cleaning/enzyme neutralizing products, a case of paper towels, plenty of spic n' span or similar stuff. Ask family members for their old, ratty towels (GREAT for dog baths after crate accidents). A kong toy and a jar a peanut butter. Definitely Nylabones. Stick them in a bag of dog food for a few days before offering them to the pup. They'll be WAY more interesting then. Don't bother getting any cute ceramic food bowls. Tried that. They got stomped on, launched through the air, and shattered. Stainless bowls are a must.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:26 am

Save your money because toys will be destroyed. Get a cheap fleece throw, cut it in 12" strips, fold, twist and knot. Inexpensive, tough and washable. Get some elk antler chews, big ones. Stay away from squeaky stuffed toys because you will be throwing them away in an hour. Some people like to reserve training tools like bumpers for training only. My take on that is you don't want the pup to get habituated to those items and bored with them, so let her have her stuff for herself and you keep your stuff (training dummies, etc.) for when you want to use them.

Join NAVHDA. If you are not a practiced gunner, join a gun club, so you can actually shoot with a fair degree of accuracy when you get to that stage.

Aries

Post by Aries » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:41 am

isuhunter wrote:What are things that you guys view are the "must haves" for first time owners?
$$$$ and more $$$$ :lol:

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 am

Ask your friends, neighbors, relatives, etc., about vets. Ask them how much it costs them to get shots annually.

My old vet charges $30 a shot, no office visit (not bad). My new vet charges $25 office visit and $15-35 a shot. Still not bad. A vet I considered charged $85 office visit! I never asked how much shots were...I couldn't afford the darned office visit!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 am

isuhunter wrote:Yep the Chuck Johnson book is the one I ordered.

Are there any toys that you wouldn't let a pup have right away? I can remember hearing two friends talk about not letting their lab pups play with bumpers.
That's a good book!

May want to consider the DVD Puppy Development I by Hunstmith. It brings that first year or so together - how to reinforce "calm" behavior, introduce birds, etc.
http://www.pointersupply.com/products/P ... ccess.html

Not sure I'd consider this a "must have" but would be a nice Christmas present :D There is a very, very well done DVD called Crate Games by a lady who trained numerous obedience/agility champions - she's from Canada - linky - http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=dta287 The DVD is well-done and includes inducive, fun methods that can be used with young pups. Pups learn to LOVE their crates after these type of activities and learn how much fun learning in general is.

You are correct about bumpers. Remember YOU own the toys, the dog doesn't own the toys. Keep "hunt training" stuff separate from "chewing, playing" stuff. That said, you are bringing a young alligator into your home. Have plenty of toys for him to chew and play with.

Most importantly, have fun!! This time will go by in a flash.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:15 pm

A philosopher once stated that art requires time, love, and money. I think that it applies here... in spades.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:26 pm

gps collar with e-collar is awfully nice.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Birddogz wrote:gps collar with e-collar is awfully nice.
It's an awfully nice seven Benjamins, too. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:42 pm

The only must haves for the first time owner is a puppy and lots of love and caring. Later there will be other things we all have or would recommend. My personal list does not and has never included any of the high priced nice to have tools but I am sure you will mke up your own mind about them when the time comes. For now you have a puppy that needs to learn how to live in your household with the other residents.. In a few months it will deveop all on it's own into a birddog puppy that wants to hunt. At that time you will enter a new phase of training that will teach the pup to hunt in the method you want it to. At no time do you teach a pup to hunt as it comes with that ability if you will give it the chance to learn.

Have fun with your pup, stop worrying, and ask questions as they come up.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
Worth every penny though. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:54 pm

Birddogz wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
Worth every penny though. :D
Only if you have it and have nothing more important to spend it on.

Ezy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:22 am

GPS collar would be nice but I think I need to buy a lot of other things first. That's going on the 'wishlist'

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:03 pm

A 10' puppy check cord and a 20-30' check cord later.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:19 pm

I didn't realize kongs came in so many sizes and puppy vs. adult. Is the puppy kong really better for the mouth like the kong package says?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 pm

isuhunter wrote:I didn't realize kongs came in so many sizes and puppy vs. adult. Is the puppy kong really better for the mouth like the kong package says?
Gimmick. Get the black one.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:46 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
isuhunter wrote:I didn't realize kongs came in so many sizes and puppy vs. adult. Is the puppy kong really better for the mouth like the kong package says?
Gimmick. Get the black one.

That was my thought.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:07 am

The puppy ones are soft and squeaky. That means you'll buy four of them when one black one will do.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 am

I absolutely love the answer of Patience and a crate......

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:53 pm

orbirdhunter wrote:I absolutely love the answer of Patience and a crate......
Crates... We are getting a small kennel for while she is a pup from a friend. Does anyone have experience with "Ruff Tough Kennels" ??

Deets

Post by Deets » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:24 pm

I am supprised no one has mention this............. but the most important thing you need is BIRDS! You need access to pigeons or pen raised birds. I am currently finishing out my first pointer, and I really underestimated the importance of having access to birds. I catch my own feral pigeons, and it is a pain in the "bleep". I will not get another puppy until I have a well estabilished pigeon coop. I would get started building a pigeon coop before you even bring the pup home. That way you can concentrate on the pup and when the time comes you will have pigeons to train with.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:49 pm

All is great advice. I agree with the kennel, the one I found to work best was the wire ones with the divider. Had one for me 7 month of Female GSP and its night and day compared to how my 1 year old male did in his large plastic crate. The Kongs and PB are a great tip too, they keep the do occupied. I agree with also getting the large one as you will replace the others rather quickly.

GSP's are a high energy breed, be sure you have the time and place to allow them burn some of that off. Get them some play time before bed and it should help you sleep through the night.

Also, be sure to use the search function and never post a thread about "what dog food should I feed". ;)

Good Luck and keep us posted on the puppy selection.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Also, for me I wish I would have done more research on the training method I was going to use before I got the pup. Books and Videos will help you out. Perfect Start/Perfect Finish to me was one of the better training guides for someone new to gun dogs like myself.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:12 am

Get a good steel safe to put your shoes in when you take then off! And a shelf at about 7' to put up other editable items. ie, TV remotes, cell phones, ect! :mrgreen: And there made a law for puppy owners, you have to love'em! :mrgreen:

I don't know how I forgot. Rubber bands to hold the doors under to kitchen sink where the garbage goes and you really ought to remodel and make the kitchen counter tops a min 6'8" high. Run all your electrical cords thru a metal conduit. Make sure the little woman doesn't mind a visitor in bed at night! She does like to sit on the other end of the couch, right?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!