Holding point

redman25

Holding point

Post by redman25 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:07 am

Just moved back to WV and have been working my young dog on ruffs. He's 16 months old and had done well at 6 months old on woodcock last year and started out well on grouse with solid points to flush on his first few contacts this year....and then I shot one down. It was still alive and he chased it down and retrieved...almost to hand :). Since then we've had numerous contacts and he's holding his point for 5 to 10 seconds and then rushing in. I have a manual launcher, but I have no access to pigeons at the moment, or I would go back to that and staunch him back up. Should I keep him in these wild birds, shut my mouth, and hope he catches on? Should I take him out of the woods until I can work on this? I'm not shooting these flushed birds, by the way, I'm waiting for solid points. He's smart, maybe too smart, any suggestions would be appreciated.

buck

Re: Holding point

Post by buck » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:11 pm

My experience with grouse is that they generally don't hold long, especially after they've been hunted. Also, many times before they flush they will walk a few steps before they fly. Are you sure they are not already moving when your dog moves in? I would shoot at the flushed birds. The dog found them and alerted you to them. To ignore them IMO, is treating them as trash birds.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Take him out and don't shoot a thing if you don't think it was handled well.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:37 am

DonF wrote:Take him out and don't shoot a thing if you don't think it was handled well.
+1

Unless you want a flusher..

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Take him out of the woods/fields (now that you know he knows how to point and find game) and teach him the "Whoa" command. There are various methods culminating in making the dog stand still while birds are walking on the ground around him/her. Then take the command and make him stand his birds in a controlled situation in the field, generalize him to different locations. He/she doesn't know what's expected of him/her. My $.02
Tom