First Pheasant!@

isonychia

First Pheasant!@

Post by isonychia » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:24 pm

Well here it is, our first 2 pheasants. Didn't see a one on the opener yesterday but today was a much different story. The first one I saw was after 3 hours of hunting today on top of 8 yesterday of no birds, I was caught off guard and missed/crippled the bird. Unfortunately I was more concerned with reloading my gun than watching where it landed. I am so used to hunting grouse that drop quickly and often have friends still in the cover ready to flush. My dog only pointed the first bird right after it flushed. From then on my dog didn't help much. He got on a bird trail which was great, but went out of view 200yards and the next thing I know I see 2 pheasant flying way off in the distance. My 1 yr pup wastes a lot of energy chasing meadowlarkes, etc and I had to start using the collar when he was charging through disked sunflower after song birds. The first pheasant I shot, my dog was behind me as I was crawling up to the top of a ditch shoulder high in weeds and sunflower, he didn't even know it happened but I let him find the dead bird. The second bird was in a funneling patch of cover I zig zagged and close to the end he caught sent and ran in and flushed the bird. This was an 8 hr drive to get here for 2 days of hunting (last 2 days of pointing dog hunting for me this year probably) and so I shot this bird, nice older rooster too. So after 2 days I ended up with 2 roosters, I guess it could be better but the burlington roundup land is 98% unhuntable, the WIA was MUCH better, and free mind you.

I guess I am reaching desperate measures now to find access to pigeons, I may have to resort to sending my dog off to a trainer if I can not line anything up. Anyone have any tips for a renter in town on how to get some pigeon action lined up? Its going to make or break our season next year. I could have done MUCH better if my dog would point by scent and not SIGHT!@ I thought he would learn after the initial pigeon/quail work before I moved, then we got 50+ grouse this summer (though it was hot and we were not hunting), but maybe not, granted pheasant are new to him. Either way I would rather have only gotten one pheasant that my dog pointed than limit both days on my own accord, it is for him after all that I made this big trip!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by isonychia on Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birddogz

Re: First Pheasant!@

Post by Birddogz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Fantastic! Great lookin' Brit too. :D Memories forever. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 pm

I know it is frustrating but remember he is just a year old, regardless of the training he has had. Those pheasants are tough for a dog, especially a puppy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:14 pm

birddogger wrote:I know it is frustrating but remember he is just a year old, regardless of the training he has had. Those pheasants are tough for a dog, especially a puppy.

Charlie

Thanks, I was actually looking for someone to tell me this but didn't want to ask outright :? We have only been hunting the harder birds, grouse and pheasant. Either way I know we could benefit from pigeons this spring. There is only one way to steady a dog that I know of, and it doesn't involve using wild birds. It is mostly important in grouse hunting, because with blue grouse, a limit can be had with a single point if the dog doesn't break in after the first shot.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:20 pm

isonychia wrote:
birddogger wrote:I know it is frustrating but remember he is just a year old, regardless of the training he has had. Those pheasants are tough for a dog, especially a puppy.

Charlie

Thanks, I was actually looking for someone to tell me this but didn't want to ask outright :? We have only been hunting the harder birds, grouse and pheasant. Either way I know we could benefit from pigeons this spring. There is only one way to steady a dog that I know of, and it doesn't involve using wild birds. It is mostly important in grouse hunting, because with blue grouse, a limit can be had with a single point if the dog doesn't break in after the first shot.
Yes, you can benefit from pigeons if used properly.

Good luck,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Thats awesome, great looking britt and a nice subie!
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)