Introduction/ Seeking local Idaho advice

Idahohunter

Introduction/ Seeking local Idaho advice

Post by Idahohunter » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and fairly new to dog training. I grew up in Boise hunting chukar in the Owyhees and upland game everywhere else. I graduated from college this past year and I am itching to get another dog. I recently found this gold mine of a forum a couple days ago and have been reading as much as I can. I have probably quadrupled my knowledge just over the last few days but I am looking for some local advice now. I intend to get a dog february '12 and was hoping someone on the forum could recommend some good local breeders of good chukar hunting brittanies or GSP. And probably more importantly, I was hoping someone could give me some recommendations of mentors/trainers/organizations in Idaho or Eastern Oregon (the closer to Boise the better).

Thanks for the help in advance.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Introduction/ Seeking local Idaho advice

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 am

You are very close to Paul Trout of Vomorion Kennels in Caldwell, and Jeff Funke, a well known trainer in the Boise area. Paul breeds Drahthaars, and I believe Jeff does as well. They can tell you who to go to for the dog you want.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:42 pm

Hello and welcome,
I also live in the Treasure Valley and there are several good resources for all things bird dog related in the area, The German Shorthair Pointer club of Idaho http://www.gspcidaho.org/ is located here. Take a look at their links page and there are several other dog clubs listed there. I belong to the club and there's a lot of good folks that are experienced and willing to help.

As for recommendations of breeders for GSP's and Brit's I can't help there. I do know where you can get a good Gordon :)

As for finding a reputable breeder I would attend one of the GSP club meetings and ask a general question or send an email to the club prez. he may know of a litter or two.

Good luck in your search I've heard that there are a lot of good bird dogs in this area.
Tom

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:55 pm

If your really want a shorthair, just west of Seattle in Dan Hoke with Dunfer Kennels. South and west a bit near Quincy is R.J. Marquart and Quick Silver kennels. I'd recommend either of them. I've seen a lot of their dogs run and I owned a Quick Sliver dog in the past. She was one of the best ever. Type in Dan Hoke or R.J. Marquart and both have a web sight. The dogs photo's posted by Doug Favor on here are from Dunfer Kennels, ask him what he thinks of them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Get ahold of Dean Crabbs, Jon Young or Rick Dodge. They have some of the best dogs around you.
If you want to look in Utah I know of a very good litter but I'm a bit biased :wink:

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 pm

Head South...Joel Hilkirk at Highland Gundogs in Cedar city has some great pups as well. Think he may have 1 or 2 left GSP's that is

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:58 am

Good recommendations all!! There are some excellent dog folks with excellent dogs in your area for sure!! I'm in the forgotten corner of the state or I'd offer my services - folks often remark at how good of an example me and my dogs are of what not to do...and there is learning in that!! :lol:
The dogs photo's posted by Doug Favor on here are from Dunfer Kennels, ask him what he thinks of them.
Just came back from picking up one of my dogs from Dan's/Dunfur Kennel last week. You could certainly get in on what I think historians will refer to as the Liver Roan All Age Prairie Champion project... 8)

Did someone say photos...BIG mistake!! :lol: :lol: My Dunfur dog:

http://vimeo.com/18415366
Last edited by DGFavor on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 am

Those are some great pictures of a killer looking dog! :mrgreen:

Idahohunter

Post by Idahohunter » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Time to make some phone calls. Also, great photos dg.

Hopefully next March I will have a pup with me when I head back into the mountains of Idaho for work.

I have been doing some reading and was wondering when is it to early to start getting birds on grouse and how often is too much? I work a weir and screw trap and live out of a trailer for 10 days at a time and the dog would/could be on grouse nearly everyday.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 am

If you're in the market for a pup..did I say pup...I guess this isn't exactly a puppy...Anyway, I received this link from the GSP club of Idaho for a rescue GSP that appears to be a nice dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21314649
Tom