Dog Boxes and ATV's?

codym

Dog Boxes and ATV's?

Post by codym » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I finally got a pickup that I would rather not have scratched to pieces by mesquites. So with that in mind I'm trying to figure out how to mount some crates or a small dog box on my standard polaris sportsman. I just started kicking this idea around so im not sure if it's even possible. I have friends that have polaris rangers with dog boxes in the bed, but I don't really have the cash to spend on one of those rigs. So has anyone on here had any success doing something like this? Pictures would be greatly appreciated thanks!

postoakshorthairs

Re: Dog Boxes and ATV's?

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:12 pm

We used to mount plastic dog crates on the back rack of a standard ATV. Their light so when you add the dogs it's not so rear heavy. We mounted some 2x runners across the rack to widen and raise it then mounted the crates to the rack facing backwards. Sorry don't have a pic.

codym

Post by codym » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Did you have any problem with the crates coming loose? My biggest fear would be going down a dirt road and loosing a crate with a dog in it!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 pm

before I had my license I used to haul a pair of coon hounds all over the country side in a 2dog box on a trailer behind my 4wheeler. a small garden trailer worked perfect for me. Or if you have a small trailer you use to haul your 4wheeler then you can just use it.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:47 pm

codym wrote:Did you have any problem with the crates coming loose? My biggest fear would be going down a dirt road and loosing a crate with a dog in it!
Ratcheting straps.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:44 pm

codym wrote:Did you have any problem with the crates coming loose? My biggest fear would be going down a dirt road and loosing a crate with a dog in it!
No. Secured the 2xs with brackets then ratchet strapped the box to both. It's not a real smooth ride for the dogs so we didn't ride real hard.

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:18 pm

It can be done but be careful with the mounting. I watched as my dog take a wild ride of the back of my buddies Polaris after his brother mounted the kennel. Funny looking back at it now, not funny watching it.
ps, the dog is ok