Male or Female German Short Hair Pup

Pappy

Male or Female German Short Hair Pup

Post by Pappy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:16 pm

I have been thinking about purchasing a female short hair pup, I was told that females are easier to train than males, is this true. Also how messy is it when the female comes into heat. I have two male dogs now and I could see having a female could cause some problems. I sure don't want her to get breed by my Brit. Also if you get the female fixed does that affect there hunting drive. I am not afraid to purchase a female short hair but getting her fixed will cost me extra $200. I am getting the dog in Texas and having it flown to California. I am sure that is going to cost me some more money too. Also have any of you heard of this kennel in Texas here is the site. Some one on the forum tip me off to it. I have been doing some research and they look to have some good dogs. http://bluemountainpreserve.com/d2shorthairs.html

remmy

Re: Male or Female German Short Hair Pup

Post by remmy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm

The decision between a male or female comes down to you. There is no difference in training. Each dog has it's own personality so saying male dogs are stubborn or females are easier to train is all folklore. You never know what you will get. When a female comes in heat is can be messy. There will be blood, how much differs between females. Getting her fixed will not affect her hunting drive...again, folklore or old school mentality.

I checked out the dogs on that website and they have some nicely bred dogs. You should do really well with one of those pups.

Good luck with your decision.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:38 pm

I have dogs with some of those bloodlines, including a Buddy Lee grandson. They are consistently sharp tempered if another dog takes a notion to start something, but are not overtly aggressive. Good workers, natural retrievers.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Ive had experience w/those bloodlines -Wonderful hunters.

I prefer females only because their generally a little smaller in stature.