Setters/cold weather

Gertie

Setters/cold weather

Post by Gertie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:36 pm

It looks like winter is here for real now and I have an ES that is about 4 months old that gets really cold running around outside in these temps (around freezing). I'm wondering if you setter people who live in colder areas utilize some sort of dog jacket (especially for pups) and/or dog boots? Ideally she'll grow more hair by next year and I won't have to worry about it but I just hate watching her shiver. Thoughts?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Elkhunter

Re: Setters/cold weather

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:34 pm

I hunt with my buddy that has two setters, one sort of does not like the cold. His male is like a polar bear, loves the cold.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm

If your setters live inside the house, they don't develop the coat and metabolism for very cold weather, IMO. They will adapt to cold weather pretty quickly. I live in California, but hunt all over the West and some in Canada. The dogs sleep in the dog topper and do very well running and hunting in cold weather. They're setters, after all.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:17 pm

I had a big setter as a kid. Winter never bothered him at all but he was a traditional Ryman type and would get to 75lbs in the winter.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:47 pm

It's below freezing here right now,I've got 10 year olds,a six year old,a 7 month old and 6 3 month old pups all living outside(pups have an outside access kennel off of my shed) not a one of em bothered by the cold.Hunted the older dogs last year in SD in 10 degree weather with a 30 mph wind and snow on the ground,not a one of em flinched at the duty at hand.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:52 pm

She's definitely a house dog and she's pretty small (20 lbs). It sounds like she just needs to spend some more time outside acclimating. Actually took her for walk out by the river in the snow today and once she started running around she was fine.
'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:00 pm

My guy's get out quite a bit and the weather doesn't bother them much. Fisrst time they saw snow, they cane and asked to go out. Took them to the door and they hit the brakes before stepping out. Later that day the went out, now they love the snow. My boys were about four mos at that time.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Setters4ever

Post by Setters4ever » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 am

Ive got an almost 7 yr old, 3 yr old and a 7 month old. They all house dogs and love the snow when they go out. They do develope snow balls between there toes from the snow. So I do moniter that but let them inside to melt once I see they are trying to pull them off.

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Hunted my setter in SD during late dec 3 deg had no problems except the balls of snow hanging off his featherings.

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 pm

My small field bred english setter, who is a house dog, is fine when out hunting in the cold weather. Snow balls on her feet are bigger issue than the cold.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:50 pm

Looks like I can, once again, chalk it up to first time pup paranoia :roll: :lol:
'Gertie'

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Grange wrote:My small field bred english setter, who is a house dog, is fine when out hunting in the cold weather. Snow balls on her feet are bigger issue than the cold.
Those snowballs can be a problem but if you can trim all of the hair between the toes and at least as high as the top of the pastern it should solve most of it and you can add some grease to the feet and that will help also.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:57 pm

In addition to the puppy coat, it could also be the nervous jitterbugs. Some dogs shiver or trimble when they are excited or pumped up. My last setter had the shivers every time we went hunting, and sometimes it was close to fifty degrees on certain days.

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Grange wrote:My small field bred english setter, who is a house dog, is fine when out hunting in the cold weather. Snow balls on her feet are bigger issue than the cold.
Those snowballs can be a problem but if you can trim all of the hair between the toes and at least as high as the top of the pastern it should solve most of it and you can add some grease to the feet and that will help also.

Ezzy
I do trim the fur and add Vaseline. It helps but it doesn't get rid of the issue.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:43 pm

IMO cold and heat tolerance are genetic to a certain extent. Dogs that are bred for several generations for the grouse woods are likely to be cold tolerant. The dogs we breed here in the South are bred for heat tolerance.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:02 am

I was told by my vet not to use vaseline. Has petroleum in it that isn't good for them to ingest. There's some stuff called 'musher's secret' that is plant based and that's what she recommended that I use for that. As of now the hair between her digits isn't long enough to be a problem but I can definitely see this being something that we'll have to manage at some point. Should be interesting to trim her feet considering that she turns into a complete spaz when I trim her nails. I wonder if she remembers her dew claws being removed or something? Strange because so far that seems to be the only the thing she's afraid of.
'Gertie'

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 pm

Gertie,
Mushers and Cowboy Magic will get the job done after you clip the hair form between the dogs pads, the Cowboy Magic works well on the entire dogs coat also, both to keep snow balls from forming and as a detangler for briars and such. Welcome to the wonderful world of Setters.
RGD/Dave

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks Ryman! Having a blast so far and we haven't even gone hunting yet! Next year those chukars had better look out :lol:
'Gertie'

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:32 pm

My setter pup is now 7 months old and she shivered and wouldn't stay outside for the first few days of cold weather but she has apparently become used to it now. I have to practically drag her back inside most days. I think they do become acclimated.

My dad's 4-year-old English Setter adores snow. It snowed on Christmas Day last year and he went crazy for it. He likes to put his whole face in it, eat it, roll around. It's fun to watch. One of my favorite photos is Reuben with his face in the snow on Christmas morning.