Dog Bit - Now What?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Bit - Now What?

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:07 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
Brittlver wrote:Take it to a trainer and let them take care of it. That is what they get paid for. If he/she says they can't fix it or it is a problem that won't stop then make the decision to put it down.

Jesse
I think you'd have a hard time finding any HONEST trainer that would tell you he could train a dog not to bite. Biting can be a family and dominance issue. A dog may never try to bite a trainer, but put it back in the house and it will bite again.

There are very, very, few people that understand dog aggression.
Agreed...and much starts at those little levels that the puppy got away with with the worst excuse I hear ..Oh he is a puppy and will grow out of it...Sorry even a puppy needs to learn mouthing biting nipping is unacceptable.
I have heard you say this before but I have never been able to make a connection from puppy playing to an older dog biting. The two just come from a completely difference source with a completely different motive. I have had lots of puppies that love to rough house but have never had one that was a biter, and this included not only Britts, Toy Terriers, but Doberman's as well.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:18 am

Put her down.

It almost brings me to tears to think about, but, I speak from experience when I tell you that you were lucky. when my daughter was 3 we were camping with my parents. Both of their dogs were there, family dogs that had known and been around my kids since my kids were born. Bubba was a 5 year old male that I never saw be sharp with my kids or people. Until he was.

On the 2 hour ambulance ride they were pretty sure she would lose the eye. She had lacerations from temple to temple and from her chin to the top of her head. ER surgery, and two plastic surgeons later she has both her beautiful eyes, and will have scars forever.

The dog was immediately put down (within the hour). When people ask my daughter about it today she tells them "Dogs that bite, can't live with people"

The question I would tell you to ask yourself is how will you feel when it happens again.
after2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

live4point

Post by live4point » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:56 am

I'm glad you put the photos on here,you just might get through to someone and save a child.A dog is an animal,not a human,too many people seem to forget that.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:54 am

live4point wrote:I'm glad you put the photos on here,you just might get through to someone and save a child.A dog is an animal,not a human,too many people seem to forget that.
I know what your saying and not trying to pick a fight but what makes us any more special then a dog. We are animals too so just because we have a bigger brain means that we are better. People also seem to forget we are on the same genetic map as they are. If we could speak their language we might actually learn something. They have been around longer then us.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:56 am

troutbum13 wrote:Put her down.

It almost brings me to tears to think about, but, I speak from experience when I tell you that you were lucky. when my daughter was 3 we were camping with my parents. Both of their dogs were there, family dogs that had known and been around my kids since my kids were born. Bubba was a 5 year old male that I never saw be sharp with my kids or people. Until he was.

On the 2 hour ambulance ride they were pretty sure she would lose the eye. She had lacerations from temple to temple and from her chin to the top of her head. ER surgery, and two plastic surgeons later she has both her beautiful eyes, and will have scars forever.

The dog was immediately put down (within the hour). When people ask my daughter about it today she tells them "Dogs that bite, can't live with people"

The question I would tell you to ask yourself is how will you feel when it happens again.
after2.jpg
Thank you for sharing. That is truly devastating. My father was also attacked by a dog. Of course his came from a home that abused it but it is what it is.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:09 am

SO sad to see those pics, i can not even imagine if that were my child, you must have been devastated and the worse part is once it happens it happens, you cant turn back the clock at that point, now just imagine if you KNEW that dog was a risk and THEN that happened :!: the guilt you would feel and the lack of trust not only your daughter would have for dogs but the lack of trust she would have in you as her parents for not preventing it..this situation proves that something always has to be considered by all of us and that is our children, spouses, other family members and our friends trust us when we bring any dog into our lives that they are safe with the dog/dogs when they are around them in our home..the trust my friends and family put in my hands outweighs everything in my opinion, they are living with our decisions to have gunddogs or any dog for that matter so i feel we owe it to them to never have a dog we have reason not to trust 100% and if we are given reason not to trust it 100% it needs to go, period..i really hope the OP updates on whats going on and i hope the best for him and his family....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Red

Post by Red » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:12 am

but what makes us any more special then a dog.
Wow, speechless.... :? :?
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:42 am

Brittlver wrote: what makes us any more special then a dog. We are animals too so just because we have a bigger brain means that we are better. People also seem to forget we are on the same genetic map as they are. If we could speak their language we might actually learn something. They have been around longer then us.
The day that anyone considers dogs to be an equal, is the day that person is heading for huge problems with dogs. They are not our equal, they are not human, they are not superior. They are animals and so put here for our use. We are, or should be, ALWAYS dominant over them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:45 am

ezzy333 wrote:
I have heard you say this before but I have never been able to make a connection from puppy playing to an older dog biting. The two just come from a completely difference source with a completely different motive. I have had lots of puppies that love to rough house but have never had one that was a biter, and this included not only Britts, Toy Terriers, but Doberman's as well.

Ezzy
I agree 100% with K-9 on this. I believe that if you let a puppy bite you in play, they grow up believing they can dominate you. The German's greatly warn not to allow any pup to bite you. I never have, and never will, allow any pup or young dog to bite me, even in play.

Even in play as a pup, if they bite my hand or arm, they are immediately slapped on the muzzle and told NO.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:16 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
I agree 100% with K-9 on this. I believe that if you let a puppy bite you in play, they grow up believing they can dominate you. The German's greatly warn not to allow any pup to bite you. I never have, and never will, allow any pup or young dog to bite me, even in play.

Even in play as a pup, if they bite my hand or arm, they are immediately slapped on the muzzle and told NO.
The picture above says it all...A dog should never and yes I will stick by my guns as this needs to be learned as a little cute puppy that the mouth is never an option to be used on a human..Period. and it is much easier to start on good habits as a pup then it is to allow the pup to ever learn play biting is ever acceptable
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:52 am

Lots of dog knowledge on this board, and many valid opinions have been expressed and several generalizations made, but it seems by now we may have strayed from the OP's question, which was:
I don't plan on getting rid of the dog, but would like some advice on going forward.
I'm sure most would agree that there may be different circumstances leading up to a dog bite, and that not every single dog who has bitten a human needs to be put down or rehomed.

The pics of the little girl bitten are horrifying and I absolutely support her parents decision, but none of us can know whether that situation is in any way comparable to this one. People get shot with shotguns too, but it doesn't mean we need to all give ours up in case it may happen...

One alternative that I don't remember reading was kenneling or crating the dog while the pack leader is away, and then tethering the dog to him during the time he is in the house with family. If you choose this option, you'll like need a padlock to keep the dog locked up, or the kids would have him out again. If it were my dog and my kid, I'd want a little more control over the situation - but that's me.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:44 am

I don't really have an opinion on keeping or getting rid of the dog, to each their own, their family, their dog. There is a difference between a "bite" and a "nip" as well. A snap of get away from me is alot different then a bite of I want to destroy you. Some won't accept either, some will except both. Doesn't make us wrong, just different. We can all make assumtions of what makes the dog do what it does, but only the owner sees that dog on a regular basis. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will give my opinion on the "getting rid" part.

I was starting to count, but I didn't want to take my shoes off. "give the dog to a family of adults," "re-home the dog and tell them what happened" "dog needs a new home."
UGHHHHH PEOPLE, what ever happened to bullet in the back of the head????? If this dog is so "dangerous" that your telling him he shouldn't have it around his family, then why would we tell him to put that onto someone else? Rather it be the bite issue, the color issue, hip issue, crooked tail, droopy eye lids, aggresive issue, etc. The reply is alway the same, have it neutered or spayed and re-home it. Good idea people, lets put out problems on someone else, "they are ignorant to what I like so they'll be happy with it." There are plenty of cute and gentle mutts in the pound that would love to have a good home. If it isn't good enough for you, then just kill the sucker. It takes 10 minutes to dig a deep hole, 100ft from the well and your neighbors well. split second for it all to be over with, cover it up, cry a little bit, then jump on the computer and start doing research for another pup.

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 am

I agree a nip is not a bite, I also agree that not all bites are the same. Only the owner knows what is really going on.

When my father put down the GSP that bit my daughter, he bawled. He loved the dog. He did not kill the dog in anger, or for revenge. He killed the dog because he knew he would never be able to trust that dog again. You can get your kids to feed that dog, and alpha-roll her and have them become the dogs "pack leader". OK. What about the neighbor kid? Your children's friends? Someone at the park?

The OP asked for advice and already told us, what nobody on the interwebs could ever know, how he feels about the dog.
Grousehunter74 wrote: I feel the dog will bite again.
It is irresponsible to let that dog live if you feel this way.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Retiredbirddogman wrote:If it were my dog it would go to another home, with full disclosure on what had happened. I could not live with myself if something happened after I knew the risk.
That is just me, and doesn't mean it is the only right answer. I don't envy your decision.
+1
brenda

windswept

Post by windswept » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:47 pm

I know what your saying and not trying to pick a fight but what makes us any more special then a dog. We are animals too so just because we have a bigger brain means that we are better. People also seem to forget we are on the same genetic map as they are. If we could speak their language we might actually learn something. They have been around longer then us.[/quote]

Are you serious???? That has got to be the most far out post I have ever seen on any forum I've ever visited. I love my dogs but they are just DOGS. They are in no way, shape or form on any type of equal plane as you and I. What do you think you could learn if you could "speak their language"? There isn't a thing in the world they could teach you. Lastly, the good life domesticated dogs live is allowed only by the kindness of man.
Last edited by windswept on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:07 pm

If the death sentence for a single bite was universally observed, thete would be a lot of groomers, vets and dog trainers lacking for clients. The vast majority of dog bites are reactive and could have been prevented. We work with aggressive dogs a lot because we have client dogs who never leave home except when they come for vaccinations. Owners should do a better job acclimating them, but what do you do?
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:19 pm

I was given a very nice alpha male the that the owner used the hands off approach because he was the dogs buddy or vice versa. The dogs name was even Bud. He let the dog rule the roost its entire puppy hood. He then realized he had a problem with the dog and did not trust it. So he brought it too me for training. The first time I tried to make the dog submit too me was like wrestling a bobcat. But I won and he learned to submit without any fight. I worked on obedience with the dog and then Whoa broke the dog. He was a very nice dog, one of the best I ever had my hands on in regards to field work. He ran and hunted like a maniac and I had him steady to fall within a month. Smart and cooperative with plenty of desire. I gave him back to the owner and he told him what I did and that he needed to make the dog submit too him also. In the owners defense he was about 70 years old and weighed about 140 lbs and smoked like a chimney. I knew he was not physically capable to man handle the dog if needed. But I told him to not take any crap from this dog or he would run him over. About a month went by and he called me back and asked if I was going to be around that day? I said Yes,and asked why? He said he wanted to bring Bud back down to me. I told him that if he was having problems in his household with the dog that he needed to address the issue. I can`t come live with him. He has to take the bull by the horns. He informed me that he was giving me the dog, knowing how well I liked the dog. I asked why? He then told me that the dog growled at him and he didn`t trust the dog around his grandchildren and the dog had to go. I offered serious money to him but he refused. He brought me the dog and the dog lived with me for six months. He was always trying to be alpha and even took a couple of swipes at me. Finally one night I let the dogs out and he got into a fight with one of my other males. I immediately broke it up and gave them both holy heck. They know fighting is not allowed. I let the other dog into his kennel and went back to get Bud. He was always the last dog to go back inside. I would tap him on the head and command kennel and in he would go. Did it a thousand times. I went out to bud to give him the head tap and he let me have it. I had to open his mouth with my left hand because he would not let go of me. I got away and told him in strong language that he was sleeping outside. I went in and cleaned up the wound but it was serious. The next morning I went to the local ER and they sent me to Madison hospital. I needed surgery on my hand and spent 3 days in the hospital. Once I got out I had to go too the local hospital everyday for 6 weeks for intervenes meds. which took an hour a day. I had to go to Madison once a week for the Dr. to keep an eye on it. They had serious concerns and treated it as a bone infection, just to prevent me from getting a bone infection. The cost was over $5000 after the insurance paid.
I had 3 days to think of what I was going to do with the dog. I decided the best thing was to have my friends dig a hole for me and I will bring him over, which I did. It was a done deal.
I am writing this because I would not want this to happen to anyone else. especially a child. I took a chance with the dog because he was a very gifted bird dog and I loved watching him in the field. He was the real deal. But I will never again give a dog like that a second chance, no matter how good a dog it is. I learned the hard way.
Good Luck in your decision

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:22 pm

This is the hand. A year later it still bothers me everyday. I will live with the hurt the rest of my life.
Bit hand.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Brittlver wrote:
live4point wrote:I'm glad you put the photos on here,you just might get through to someone and save a child.A dog is an animal,not a human,too many people seem to forget that.
I know what your saying and not trying to pick a fight but what makes us any more special then a dog. We are animals too so just because we have a bigger brain means that we are better. People also seem to forget we are on the same genetic map as they are. If we could speak their language we might actually learn something. They have been around longer then us.
I agree Britt, However dogs that can't conform to the environment we have placed them in unfortunately have no place in our society and have nowhere else to go. It's not their fault but it is the truth. The ecclesiastical argument is another can of worms that I am afraid is not appropriate to debate here.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:28 pm

Speaking from experience on being bitten, even mildly, it's hard to be totally confident and unafraid with the same dog the next time. Sometimes I know I am projecting anger even. Even as an adult with alot of self control, you will find yourself hesitating and being more cautious with that dog. That's needed and useful. BUT if your daughter is going to be working with the dog, she already does not have the respect that she should from the dog, and she will also be more worried now that she knows the dog might bite. The dog will know that she is fearful, even if she does well in hiding it. There is always the chance that the dog will respect her when YOU and your spouse are watching, but will act out when you are out of the room.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:01 pm

I can't tell you how much it ANGERS me to hear people say an animal is the same as a human!! but a child are you for real ?? :twisted:
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:02 am

I could not keep a dog around that bit one of my kids, no way.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 am

Zep, of course a child or a person should be more important to you and I then a dog, but I don't think at a macro level we are really any more important, just a lot smarter.

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:14 am

Winchey wrote:Zep, of course a child or a person should be more important to you and I then a dog, but I don't think at a macro level we are really any more important, just a lot smarter.

:? This just baffles me....really? Are cows, horses, sheep, birds (that we all shoot), CATS on this equal level also? Where and how do you come up with the, any more important line, you have drawn? Macro level or no macro level, animals are never put on a line of equal importance with humans! I also beg to differ a bit, because I have also seen many dogs that I think might have been smarter than a few of the humans I have to deal with! :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:22 am

Brittlver wrote:
Sorry Jesse, but this sounds like something from PETA. All of us dog people love our dogs and can become very attached to them. They have been domesticated for our use and yes, we are more special and more important than dogs. If their brains were twice the size of ours, they still wouldn't be able to teach us anything, and by the way, they don't have a language either. As far as being around longer, if that is true, it has absolutely nothing to do with it. Also, there is a lot more to it than our brain. Sorry for the rant but it just blows my mind when anybody puts any animal as our equal but unfortunately, I talk to people almost daily with this mind set. Unbelievable!!....Just simply unbelievable!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:28 am

Personally, I think the ethics debate should be a different thread. It'll bury and detract from posts trying to help this OP and their serious concern.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:38 am

mountaindogs wrote:Personally, I think the ethics debate should be a different thread. It'll bury and detract from posts trying to help this OP and their serious concern.
I agree mountaindogs but some of these comments just can't be expected to go unanswered. However, I will refrain from posting on this thread anymore. BTW, I like Jesse and he is a good man.....We just have a huge difference in our beliefs on this subject.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:42 am

peoples different views and experiences on this thread has really got me thinking, im going to start a new thread to get some insight on rehoming situations and what kind of dogs people tolerate or keep in their home/kennel and for what reasons, hopefully people will chime in..ruth

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:05 am

My argument is not that dogs or cows or anything else is more important, but that humans are only important in our own minds and historical records. We all live we all die, it doesn't really mean anything. If you want to bring in souls and other abstract things, well they only have any merit to those that have faith. Not that I am anti religion, just not a believer.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:36 am

Put the dog down. The fact that you have children in the house makes the circumstances and situation of the bite/nip/snap unimportant. It's not fair to your kids to keep a potentially dangerous dog in the house. And it's not fair to anyone else to give them an unpredictable dog.

There are too many not-so-damanged dogs waiting for homes to let this one stick around. I will add, though, that training your kids to properly treat the dog and give it space is as important as training the dog. 75% of all dog bites occur in children 5-12 years old, most of them to the face (according to some pediatric web site). Dogs aren't people, they don't need to be kissed or hugged... sit, treat... it's the same as a hug to them.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:59 am

Cajun Casey wrote:If the death sentence for a single bite was universally observed, thete would be a lot of groomers, vets and dog trainers lacking for clients. The vast majority of dog bites are reactive and could have been prevented. We work with aggressive dogs a lot because we have client dogs who never leave home except when they come for vaccinations. Owners should do a better job acclimating them, but what do you do?
I thought the same thing... I've been bit by my wife's Chihuahua twice, both were from fear (he was abused pretty severely before we got him) because of the circumstances and lack of severity of the bites we made the decision to not.

This one sounds to me like a fear bite, not an aggressive bite. COMPLETELY different in my opinion.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 am

When there is a child involved can any one sit there and honestly say they would keep a dog that has already bit their child...Sorry I can't believe it would even be a thought...fear bite or reactive ...When Children are involved there should be more concern for the child then the dog.

You want to keep the dog?...Then put it out in a kennel where it never is around the child.

Think about this..If the dog does bite the child again this post here could prove child neglect because the "responsible" adult did not remove the KNOWN danger from where the child lives.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:07 am

A bite is a bite & in my opinion a Fear biter is the MOST untrustworthy especialy around kids.Kids don't know what they are doing but NO EXCUSE to get disfigured & frightened of man's best friend for life.
Come on people we are talking about children here use your BRAIN!!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:13 am

I've got a WPG that will be 1 yr old in a few days and she bit my 10 yr old daughter on the chin the other day while I was at work.
Best keep him away from other kids, if that dog bites another kid and has a record of this you will be sued and it wont be good for you. You have publically stated this here so now the dog is a known biter. Here you get harboring a dangerous animal and they want jail time now.

Best think it over before you decide on what to do.

If it was my dog, he would now be in a grave. I seen what a dog can do to a person and it isnt pretty. That little girl was lucky.

There is a boy in CB Iowa had his genitals bit off at about the same age. I would not want that on my conscious for the rest of my life.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:26 am

The dog is a basket case. Can't believe you justified all the behavior and now are wondering what to do with this dog now that it bit your daughter.
Face reality.Denial will possible change your lives for the worse.
You're willing to risk your daughter's well being for a dog. A dog.
Give it back to the breeder. The dog is young. The breeder needs to take some responsibility.
FWIW, lack of training probably escalated all the behavior issues you mentioned.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 am

Move the dog to an adult only family or back to the breeder... the dog should never be trusted around kids.
Last edited by ACooper on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:28 am

Grousehunter74 wrote: I haven't seen it, but my Wife told me about a week ago that my daughter walked by the dog and it growled at her. My kids are notorious for putting their face in the dog's face in an loving way, but we have emphisized this is a no-no, as well as bugging the dog when she is eating. I have also explained that dogs consider the family members as part of the "pack" too and will establish their place in the pecking order.
x
First, chill out people. He is asking for help, knows there is a problem. Quit with the public record stuff, or no one will ever ask questions, get help, or prevent future bites since they will be "afraid to ask" about their "felony committing dog." It may be true, but we need not overdo it.
Now, (1) The second sentence in the above quote is the beginning of the problem. Why would you not let your kids take away food from the dog, take treats away, take toys away, get in their face etc.... When the dog is a puppy, everyone is higher raking and puppy knows that (Hopefully :roll: ). THAT is when everyone can teach the puppy that the food, toys, and whatever do not belong to the dog. They are given by the people, and can be taken away at any point, without retaliation. By teaching the kids to back off from the puppy, and not vise versa you are paving the way for the puppy to grow up thinking food and toys are owned by the dog, and can be defended. I know you are protecting your kids, and that is smart, but you also have to get that stuff established. When I have puppies around, I take away food then give it back, pet them and touch their face while they are eating, take toys away and give them back, and we curb any growling or possesive snapping as it shows up. It will. It's puppy's pack behavior to try to defend it's food. But here, with kids, puppy has to learn that this behavior is not okay. Once you have a growling toy/food possesive adult, or if you got the dog as an adult or older puppy, you cannot let the kids help with this AT ALL. You have to restablish the rights to take and give everything, letting the children do this may be needed for the dog, but is too risky for the children, until you are 100% sure the dog will give up anything with no trouble. (2) The dog does sound jumpy, perhaps a nervous dog??, but the incident of the bite sounds to me exactly like a dominance play. Especially with the previous growling. Perhaps fear initiated, but the dog is telling the daughter don't do *whatever the action was- in this case shoving/yelling* or I can retaliate. Not just run away, but fight back. That is the problem. You will never eliminate all the startling things in life, but retaliation should not be on the dogs list of options ESPECIALLY towards your family. It can have 1)ignore or 2)move away, but not really anything else. You can and should reduce the dogs sensitivity to everything that is noisy, jumpy, flashy, and loud. No need to be scared by life.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:32 am

When you put the dog down you reduce all that plus the chance of it ever happening again sorry not going away on this issue.FEAR BITERS ARE THE WORST!! Never trust them.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 am

Quit with the public record stuff
Mountaindogs, he put it out there for the world to see, lawyers do use internet posts and blogs in their courts. I know this 100% and if his dog bit my kid, the lawyer would use it against him to win the case and he would win.

If ity was my dog well he wouldnt be breathing and yes I have put a bullet in a few dogs in my day for this type of stuff. My kids are way more valuable to me than any dog or cat or deer or well, most people.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 am

My feelings about biters no matter the reason is around adults where there are no children involved Fine try and work through it...
Children though is an entirely different story...There is just no way I would allow my grandkids around a dog that has bit someone I would be mortified if something happened and caused the dog to bite again and caused harm to my grandkids

So I said it before ...The dog can go out in a kennel never to be trusted around children...Adults is a different story entirely

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

Dog wouldn't make it out of my yard alive if it bit one of my kids. I have a border collie burried at my Dads house that bit my daughters hand. Dad shot it before I had the chance. All he said was "a dog that bites kids is no good" He's a wise old man

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:09 am

You should either put the dog down, or give it to someone that does not have children and very specifically explain to them what happened. If you choose to keep the dog, please have his canine teeth pulled.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I can't tell you how much it ANGERS me to hear people say an animal is the same as a human!! but a child are you for real ?? :twisted:

I think you guys are taking what I said wrong. I never said that they WERE equal to us I said that I can we say they are not. I am thinking totally Biological here. Yes dogs have been around longer then us, Just not domesticated ones. Domesticated dogs are still from the same gene pool as a wolf or coyote or any other wild dog, were do you think they came from. And dogs do have a language, all animals do. I am sure they could also teach us things too. But we will never know that either. I agree with everyone else. If the dog bite in rage or any other way that came across attacking then I would bring it out to the woods and shot it just like anyone else. In this situation I think the dog reacted in fear or maybe even in surprise but definitely not aggression. So please don't jump on my case when I am just pointing out the facts.

Jesse

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:55 am

Justifying can be dangerous.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:09 pm

GH74,
Having dealth with Setter dogs all my life I sent you a private message, I will post some of what I recommended for the membership to see. If this dog is a Setter definitely return the dog to the breeder, no Setter should turn on a family member, even if the dog is harassed or even abused. The breeder is turning out a seriously flawed product, and needs to be aware this happened with one of his Setter dogs. If the breeders is reputable, he will replace the dog for you, every once in a blue moon there is an over agressive Setter dog born, it decides to become higher in the pecking order than a human child. George Ryman culled these dogs on sight.
RGD/Dave

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:15 pm

First sentence of the first post said it was a WPG.

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:24 pm

very long post for a very simple solution. growl at a child and you become an outdoor dog or get rid of it to someone that doesn't have children. bite a child and you die!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 pm

sckwest1 wrote:very long post for a very simple solution. growl at a child and you become an outdoor dog or get rid of it to someone that doesn't have children. bite a child and you die!
+1

deke

Post by deke » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Just from reading your post and about half of the page of posts, i would think that it was a fear thing with the dog. When the dog stepped on and knocked over the pieces it scared her and then when your daughter pushed her she went into defense mode. One of my labs has always been really touchy about his back feet, he was bad enough that we had to warn our vet not to touch his back legs. How we fixed that problem was I sat on his chest and held his back feet, he growled and even tried to snap at me, but with some persuasion to keep quiet he eventually submitted and let me hold his feet. We repeated this step a few times, and now you can grab his back feet. He still does not like it, but he learned that if he shows any aggression he gets some shown back to him. I am not sure how or even if this can help you. From my expirience with dogs, you have to show the dog at a young age that you are dominant because if you dont show him where he lies in the family he will decide that he is higher up than he really is. I think that when you got home you should have taken the dog to your daughter , make the dog see your daughters face and then apply some sort of punishment; people say dogs dont rememeber and they wont understand why they are being punished, i have found a pair of chewed up shoes after a week of being on vacation in my dogs kennel and as soon as i pull them out they both run and hide in a corner, my point is they know what they did wrong and if they dont you just have to remind them.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm

so many things scream red flag in the original post..the OP states he feels the dog will bite again, his wife told him the dog growled at his kids a week before the incident, he dont trust the dog enough to allow his kids around it while eating or even to being loving in the dogs face, she barks at shadows, she barks at all noises outside and at people, obviously has insecurity/fear issues.. he stated he is keeping the dog, not judging him as its his life and his family but just curious as to why the decision to keep her...ruth