Little dog training ...little quail shooting

Greek

Little dog training ...little quail shooting

Post by Greek » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Did a little training with some older dogs and had my 13 wk old pup pointing quail. He did a great job marking them, but the one thing that really caught me off guard was how great my son shot and handled the older dogs. We placed about 15 quail and man did they run fly, they were spooky, barely sat. Jordan shot all but 3 of them. We started calling him dead eye. I was able to get two shots off, but other than that he dropped them all. Falko was really bird crazy which made me feel a little relief considering I have had problems getting birds. I plan on getting about a dozen birds to work at the conservation club in a few weekends. Next weekend we are having a club fun hunt. Jordan will be handling one of the dogs we worked today, a young hard running female. Just hope the weather holds out!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Little dog training ...little quail shooting

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Had the 13 week old pup been conditioned to gun shot?

Working a pup with older dogs can lead to a dog who lacks confidence in himself/independance.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Greek

Re: Little dog training ...little quail shooting

Post by Greek » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

We didnt work the pup with the older dogs...we just placed quail had him point them then we flushed em for him to chase and mark. No shooting while pup was on the field. The pup just ran the field while on a line pointing birds and chasing them as we flushed them. Then we marked where birds went and got the older dogs out to get them. However I will say that the pup thinks he is high on the food chain and has no fear of older dogs, gunshots or really anything. Very strong temmperment. Trying to keep him this way, so I do not like him to have contact off leash with other dogs or close range gun fire. I plan on getting some gun conditioning going next month. We have thrown a few frozen birds with gunfire once this month and he did exceptional. I just go with how I read the pup. He is alot of dog and needs worked at least 2-3 times a week even at this age. I just do real short sessions and make it all fun play. He is whoain at feeding time really well and when he is on point he does really well. Sometimes its hard to keep in mind how young he really is and not to take it overboard. I am really enjoying this pup!!!