GSP's at the dog park

nanney1

GSP's at the dog park

Post by nanney1 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:50 am

Seems like every time I take my dogs to the local dog park, I see GSP's. Every now and then a Weim or Brittany, but the Shorthairs seem to be popular pets in my area.

In any event, I had some free time over the holiday weekend and a damaged fence in my backyard that needs to be replaced soon. To get some exercise for my dogs, I took them to the park.

On Saturday, we saw an 8 month old lean GSP bitch, maybe 45lbs. She ran and wrestled with a small Walker Hound the entire time we were there. The Walker was a small and skinny 30lber and the GSP smoked her at every turn. Eventually the owner of the Walker left but the GSP stayed. We were there over an hour and I never saw her settle to anything less than a trot, even if someone tried to pet her. She was constantly galloping and then sprinting. She could really accelerate when she wanted to. She was there when we arrived and still going when we left after over an hour.

On Sunday, another GSP bitch was there. She was more of a trotter, but at 3 years and probably 65 lbs, she wasn't as fast or as energetic. Probably needed to lose at least 5lbs as she was a little thick through the middle. For whatever reason, my 100lb American Bulldog decided to run and play with her in a game of chase. To my surprise, he was able to stay right behind her for short periods before tiring. He's just not made to run for days on end but surprised me with his bursts of speed. Of course, she was a little overweight, and not near the sprinter we saw the day before. Still, she was fast and needed regular running to burn up her energy.

I love to watch the sporting dogs run, but I'm not sure how the average pet owner can exercise these dogs. I'm sure some people end up with a fireball as a pet and can never tire their dogs out.

mcclinj

Re: GSP's at the dog park

Post by mcclinj » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:00 am

Before I had a yard, it was generally either 2-3 hours at the dog park once, or 1hr trips twice a day.

-John

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 pm

nanney1 wrote: I love to watch the sporting dogs run, but I'm not sure how the average pet owner can exercise these dogs. I'm sure some people end up with a fireball as a pet and can never tire their dogs out.
I think there are many people out there who haven't done their research on GSPs to the point that they wind up "re-homing" them back to the breeder, rescues, etc. IMHO what you describe is the #1 reason for this problem: the dogs don't get enough exercise! As a result they become destructive, and generally impossible to handle.

Although we live in an urban environment we have sourced out several equestrian parks (that are rarely used) and fields where we can run our guys at least every other day. We are also lucky enough to have access to some prime training grounds as a result of being members of the Central FL & North FL GSP Clubs.

Frankly, we've found very few dog parks have enough room for GSPs to "stretch their legs"... the exception being some nice ones on Tampa Bay where the dogs can run into the water.

FYI, as I type this both my GSPs are sleeping. :mrgreen:
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:32 pm

Since we are on this topic, you say you run your guys every other day or so... how long each day? Do you run with them and they are heeling or are they just freerunning?

helpful_cub

Post by helpful_cub » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 pm

My boy loves Greyhounds, Sheep dogs, and other Pointers. Basically anything that actually runs, he's game to play with. The others he tends to ignore. Typically he lasts 3 hours at the dog park until he gets bored. Its not a matter of getting worn out. Plus, all of the dogs he plays with tend to wear out after about 20 minutes and then go home. So it takes a good rotation of dogs to get him to burn enough energy to be happy. One of his favorite games is to chase the ball and play keep it away from the retrievers as he runs away with it. He's a good instigator. He's been known to make the cranky 14 year old dogs play with him.

As a general rule I live by the rule of 3. He needs exercise at least once every 3 days. If I mess that up, on the 4th day something in the house will probably get destroyed... More often is always better. He can do back to back day hunting trips without a problem.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:59 pm

proudag08 wrote:Since we are on this topic, you say you run your guys every other day or so... how long each day? Do you run with them and they are heeling or are they just freerunning?
I'm retired so life is easier - poorer but easier. I run mine for 1 1/2 hours every second day. I enjoy it and they enjoy it.

I feel badly when i see the sporting breeds being walked to the corner and back. They don't what they are missing and will never be all that they could be.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:36 pm

i have a lab/britt mix thats 5 months old, a boxer thats 2 years old and a shorthair thats 3 months and we go for an hour walk minimum every day either morning or night depending on kids and work ect and i take my boxer on runs on lead threw park trails because hes older, we always make the time to go to places they can run off lead safely at their own pace, my husband and i have both been known to carry a pup at times..i can say for sure my dogs are content and lay around because they get alot of exercise and stimulation with games like fetch and frisby as well as swimming..we also go to dog parks for an hour above and beyond walks for socializing and play with the other dogs and they love it....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm

proudag08 wrote:Since we are on this topic, you say you run your guys every other day or so... how long each day? Do you run with them and they are heeling or are they just freerunning?
When our guys are out it's a minimum of 30 minutes. There's no way to keep up with them: not only are they gone in the blink of an eye, but they're trained to cast out far afield. They are both on e-collars but are whistle trained (more ingrained in the older one right now) to come back on one particular whistle or show themselves at another.
=SubMariner=

rick,b

Post by rick,b » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41 pm

HI GANG, the doggie parks around my neck of the woods are far and few and a small fenced in area i take my gsp to state parks and wma there are trails and open areas to take him off lease so he can run almost every day 1 to 3 hours if not he will drive me nuts :(

nanney1

Post by nanney1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:20 am

I grew up in a rural area (though it's not rural now) and dogs were allowed to roam. My first dog was a pointer mix that we kept tied at night, but she was allowed to roam during the day. Once released, she would run full speed circles in our yard to burn off her initial energy, and then take off through the field and be gone for hours on end. Who knows how far she got. I could call her by name or whistle and she would always come. Sometimes it might take as long as 5-10 minutes, but she would come back running hard. So, she was pretty far out. Lived on table scraps unless we didn't have any, and then she got cheap canned food. Every now and then some semi-moist food from a bag and Gaines Burgers as treats. Stayed hard and lean and could run forever.

We also had some friends who lived 2-3 miles away who had a large Weim. Probably 28"and 80lbs. Big, muscular dog that loved to run. Every day they would let him out at a certain time and he would eventually make his way though our yard and continue on to who knows where. Later on, he would make his way back on his way home. This was easily a 6 mile run round trip for him, but most likely more.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks all for the info! Looking forward to getting into a routine with Frio!

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 am

I'm ripping this off from Knine's FB post....but too funny. Speaking of dogs in the park...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:00 am

southernblues wrote:I'm ripping this off from Knine's FB post....but too funny. Speaking of dogs in the park...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU
oh goodness, that cant turn out good :lol: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:17 am

Thats why I do not sell GSP pups to pet only homes...
brenda

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:14 pm

snips wrote:Thats why I do not sell GSP pups to pet only homes...
But Brenda, that was a Lab. That couldn't POSSIBLY happen with a GSP... <evil grin>

:mrgreen:
=SubMariner=