what would you have done ?

pinebrookkennel

what would you have done ?

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:46 am

Question to all?
So on thurs morning against my better jugment we went to some state land for a release hunt. Again not my idea but
with the family dinner and plans, morning was best for all who were hunting.
We arrive half an hour before sunrize and there are trucks in every parking lot and along the roads :roll:
As we are looking for a place to park we see people all over, a lot of people!!!
Shoting time comes around and I watched as a herd of orange flow through the feilds side by side. At that point we
Headed back to the truck and put the dog away and packed up. Imho it was not safe of ethical the way the mob was
Hunting the feilds
To the piont, as I'm putting the dog away I see a rooster run by the truck. Not two second later a boom and tink tink tink
There were bb hitting the quarterpanel and windsheild of my truck! At this time my son and brother were standing at the back
Of the truck putting there gear away. We were not hit by any lead thankfully
How would all of you handled this?
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

windswept

Re: what would you have done ?

Post by windswept » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:57 am

Did someone ground pound the rooster that ran by? Any damage to your truck?
If the truck was damaged and you know who did it I would have called it in. If not I'd get the heck out of there before it happened again.

This almost sounds like the weekend of the South Dakota resident only season. The weekend before the regular opener a 3 days season is held for residents only. The problem is that the season is only for public walkin land. No private ground hunting at all, even if you own it yourself. The result is similar to what you've described. I don't even go anymore, I just wait for the regular opener the next weekend.

So tell us, what did you do?
Tom

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:00 am

Count my blessing that no one was injured and drive away as fast as I could! I sure wouldnt stick around to confront someone that has already shot in your direction once.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:02 am

topher40 wrote:Count my blessing that no one was injured and drive away as fast as I could! I sure wouldnt stick around to confront someone that has already shot in your direction once.
+1
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:13 am

When I saw all the vehicles and people I would have left right then.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 am

DonF wrote:When I saw all the vehicles and people I would have left right then.
+1

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:45 am

I think you were right to not hunt, but I would have given that person a piece of my mind I think...even if he didn't see you there he's still shooting at someone's personal property. It's reckless, disrespectful and most importantly dangerous and he should be put in his place

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:02 am

That's why I don't pheasant hunt in Ohio any more. Too many dumb butts with guns in too small a space. It's a wonder more people aren't getting hurt.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:49 am

Ditto Dognewbe, sorry iam not that friendly a fellow when it comes to safety of my family and friends. I wasnt raised to be confrontational but there are certain things you dont back down from. What ever you did was the right choice for you there is no wrong way just saying.

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 am

I never hunt a field if there is already someone in it....Why would you stop with that many hunters walking it already?
No excuse for shooting your truck ;you did the right thing by leaving ;never argue or fight with someone holding a gun !!
I think our west here we must have a little more land to hunt.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 am

At frist I lost it and was yelling who the f$$k just shot my truck. After the response I got back I just laughed and told
My son to get in the truck for his own safety.
The guys respones was, I was shooting at the ground and couldn't have hit your truck!!!
I thought about calling the game warden that was @ the hunt. I figured we would be there for hours and the rest of the day
Would have been shot in the "bleep" with paperwork people getting arrested ,myself included. Frankly I have a bad taste for game
wardens.
The truck had a few bb marks in the side and a small chip in the winsheild but that's why I have her as a hunting beater
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 am

brad27 wrote:
+1
+2

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:01 pm

pinebrookkennel wrote:At frist I lost it and was yelling who the f$$k just shot my truck. After the response I got back I just laughed and told
My son to get in the truck for his own safety.
The guys respones was, I was shooting at the ground and couldn't have hit your truck!!!
I thought about calling the game warden that was @ the hunt. I figured we would be there for hours and the rest of the day
Would have been shot in the "bleep" with paperwork people getting arrested ,myself included. Frankly I have a bad taste for game
wardens.
The truck had a few bb marks in the side and a small chip in the winsheild but that's why I have her as a hunting beater
wow...what an idiot. Hopefully he's just hard headed and knows he made a mistake. If that were me I'd still be shaking thinking about how lucky I was I didn't kill someone :roll:

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

jimssetters wrote:Ditto Dognewbe, sorry iam not that friendly a fellow when it comes to safety of my family and friends. I wasnt raised to be confrontational but there are certain things you dont back down from. What ever you did was the right choice for you there is no wrong way just saying.
+1

I am glad you brought it to the shooter's attention, even if they were too dumb to know about ethics, safety, etc. Maaaaaybe, and I know that's a huge maybe, they will think more about what they're doing the next time...because of your bringing it to their attention. You may have prevented a future accident in doing so. Those kinds of folks though are the reason I seldom put my dogs down with strangers afield.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:26 pm

...all over a single pheasant. This is exactly why I cannot hunt around others anymore and I really limit any guiding I am willing to do. Weapons are meant to kill....this is not a college football game where you go shirtless in the 10 degree weather because you are a dip wad, NOPE in this activity you kill someone because you are a dip wad...I don't know how to answer your question, I would hope I would call the warden and wait there to drive home a point as legally as I could, but I probably would have left...without the kid there I couldn't let it go...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Did it that way for quite a number of years for stocked pheasants.

We always parked where there were plety of cars and just sat and waited. When the surge moved forward at legal shooting time, we would get out of the car and get ready. By the time we were ready to go, the crowd was somewhere around 200- 300 yards to the front.

Invariably one of the dogs would lock up on a bird they overran in the first hundred yards or so and we would walk, up, check our surroundings , then flush and fire. Members of the advancing "skirmish line" would turn to see where the shooting was coming from and occasionally a couple of hunters would waffle wanting to come back toward us, but almost always they would get sucked along by the rest of the mob. By the time the line of hunters started to break up and go in varying directions, my dad and I generally had two to three birds. We would usually leash the dogs and walk out, knowing full well that it was entirely possible for us to come across our fourth and final bird on the way.

It only got sticky when someone saw one of the dogs on point and a group of them(almost always dogless) converged on us. Usually we just turned to them and said that as long as they were in range, we would wait... and after a couple of minutes they would realize that we were not going to flush the bird and they turned and walked away, at which point we flushed and shot. Occasionally the group of hunters was stubborn and would not leave...at which juncture we would collar our dogs , move to one side and then invite them to hunt through. That usually got rid of them after a few minutes. They would thrash through the cover and geneerally fail to move the tight sitting bird. As they would be walking away we would release the dog(s), they would re-establish point and we would quickly flush and drop the bird. Then go south to hunt some quail .

RayG

deke

Post by deke » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Funny you should ask that question. Just this year I have seen three fist fights and have been in one out in the middle of a public huninting land over someone shooting at, near, or next to someone or their dog. The last one was on Thanksgiving, and happened when someone shot at my dogs and me. Needless to say his gun is now in the lake, and my buddy the game warden wrote him a massive ticket.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Would have flown the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate and left that area being Thankful no one was hurt

Amazing how many inconsiderate JA's come out for first day of a season

I spent day 2 of Dove season morning cleaning up over 1/2 a bag of bird parts and garbage some low lifes left on our local dairies property and to boot they did nto have permission to hunt there...But at least I still have privileges only because I cleaned up the mess those other scum buckets left..and we wonder why hunters get a bad name :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Well,since ya asked.....................I happen to live less than a mile from two release sites that have the same clowns show up weekend after weekend.I do not ever partake in the 8am goat ropings,fact is I didn't buy A "chicken ticket" this year due to work and house projects that needed to get done.Those places are best to steer clear of until well into the afternoon.The hours here are from 8-4,I almost never went until 2:45 for the last 10 years.Thanksgiving morning is the last release of the birds and as such every yahoo with a card is chomping at the bit to geter done come heck or highwater.The way it works is if your license is and "odd" or "Even" day you can start hunting on your specified "Day" at 8 am.If it's not your "Day" your legal hours are 10-4. Well imagine what it's like turkey bird morning................pee wees big event,dog fights,screaming,yelling,running,risque shooting,unsportsmanlike conduct.All in the name of some pen raised birds.......uggggh

My awnser would be................slept in,got up,went out to the shop,fiddled around and listened to the sound world war three from up the road all the while.................snickering.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 am

Wildweeds you wouldnt happen to live in washington would you?

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 pm

All of the horror stories talked about in these posts is exactly why I pretty much quit Pheasant hunting on public land in Ohio and took up Grouse hunting over 35 years ago. Even with Grouse hunting, if I pull up to one of my honey holes and a truck is there, I'm gone somewhere else. I have a list of over 2400 grouse "possibles" in 6 states. When I choose a site, I always drive past it for a mile or so. If there are hunters in that stretch of roadway, I'm gone. There is too much real estate out there to endanger me, my friends and the dogs.
I also will not ever deer hunt on state or federal land. I had an experience that ended that for me. I had someone move into the area I was hunting around 10 am. This jerk fired at a deer on a logging road I was hunting by. After the 3rd shot, I dove on the ground, as each shot was coming my way. After the 4th & 5th shot the deer fell dead in some brush about 30 yds. from me. I stayed on the ground until this goon gutted the deer and dragged it away. I was afraid to move thinking he might throw more lead my way. Thought sure I was back in the NAM.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

asc

Post by asc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:52 pm

lost my temper, got arrested for battery and aggravated assault.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:06 pm

birddogger wrote:
brad27 wrote:
+1
+2

Charlie
+3. I never hunt where anyone else it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:38 pm

Never hunting were there are other hunters is an easy thing to say! Around here even the private land gets a lot of
Hunting pressure.
The same day we headed to some private land and there were 6 people hunting in the feild I wanted to hunt.
With grain Prices @ an all time high and bird numbers on the decline in the past few years it hard to find good hunting in nw ohio
So the thought of not hunting because you see other hunters is a dream.
You might as well give up hunting and feild trial your dog :roll: :lol:
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 pm

asc wrote:lost my temper, got arrested for battery and aggravated assault.
+2 and might have even shot back.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:24 am

tommyboy72 wrote:
asc wrote:lost my temper, got arrested for battery and aggravated assault.
+2 and might have even shot back.
this is what my husbands answer was when i told him what happened...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 pm

"You might as well give up hunting and feild trial your dog "

Are you kidding me dude? Are we gonna bring this crap up again?

I take my dogs hunting and field trialing. They are good at both.

I'm gonna guess that you have never, ever field trialed before. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:32 pm

I should apoligize for that comment it was way off the subject
It was meant as a joke to see who would respond. That's why I placed the lol at the end of the sentence
The endless debate on this subject amuses me
You are right I have never feild trialed, or been to an event for that matter.
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:58 am

It's not a funny joke, if you ask me. Let's just let it go.

Justin

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Yessir............ I drive to eastern washington to hunt...........went last weekend,saw 3 other hunters all weekend..........found 20+ covies of quail in a 1 1/2 days worth of hunting.
deke wrote:Wildweeds you wouldnt happen to live in washington would you?

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Pheasant haunting in Ohio is disaster waiting to happen. I really shocked no one has been killed and seriously injured. I have had me fair share of run ins with these types of idiots. There are few steps the state could take to make this much safer but they could care less.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Wildweeds Would it happen to be up around the bellingham area, if so you should of been out thanksgiving it was deffinatelly a good expirience, not to many people, very sportsmanlike conduct :wink: goat roping indeed, we ended up sitting in the parking lot waiting for the herd of people to go away and then went out and shot our limits in the same field these "hunters" went through right before us.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Took my 13 week old pups up there after 4 and ran them around a little bit,to get their sniffers aworkin one pup got a nice point on a hen. I've had more than one yahoo get all worked up over my field trial dog running big(to them 250 yards is big,he will do some big edgeline casts,hit 900 at BP site),and also had yahoo's shoot birds over the dog as I was on my way to him.
deke wrote:Wildweeds Would it happen to be up around the bellingham area, if so you should of been out thanksgiving it was deffinatelly a good expirience, not to many people, very sportsmanlike conduct :wink: goat roping indeed, we ended up sitting in the parking lot waiting for the herd of people to go away and then went out and shot our limits in the same field these "hunters" went through right before us.

shot2high

Post by shot2high » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:06 pm

I got shot on a dove field three years ago. Spent the whole evening in the ER having shot pulled out of my shoulder and the side of my head/face. We were on a youth hunt, and an 11 year old cut down on a low bird and blasted me. I got up and went straight for him and his Dad when another hunter stepped in and got me to focus on my 2 kids who were crying because they saw there Daddy get shot. It hurt like heck and believe me all the shot does not get there at the same time, it is like a wave of hornets. We just have to be careful and mindful of idiots and inexperienced people while on public ground.

There won't be a next time for me because I now hunt my own field and I ain't going to shoot myself.....well at least I hope I don't! :wink:

deke

Post by deke » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 am

wildweeds most dogs out there are house dogs and dont know how to hunt and just get lucky and stumble upon birds now and then. Most hunters wont let their dogs range that far out there because most are labs with a few gsps thrown in the mix. We run straight labs, usually four but one is a pup and one is a year old, granted he put up the most birds this year. It is funny to watch people shoot birds your dogs put up though isnt it.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:46 am

The only thing to do is to stay home on those days. The broader public, close quarters and firearms go together like gas fumes and fire.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:32 pm

I find it not very funny at all that someone is rude enough to stop their truck,jump the field fence,flush and shoot 3 birds over my dog while I am in the process of walking over to his point 300 yards away,this happend at 2 oclock in the afternoon. Combat birdhunting nothing gentlemanly about it,running with a weapon is a bad idea unless it's during a time of war.
deke wrote:It is funny to watch people shoot birds your dogs put up though isnt it.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Wildweeds wrote:I find it not very funny at all that someone is rude enough to stop their truck,jump the field fence,flush and shoot 3 birds over my dog while I am in the process of walking over to his point 300 yards away,this happend at 2 oclock in the afternoon. Combat birdhunting nothing gentlemanly about it,running with a weapon is a bad idea unless it's during a time of war.
deke wrote:It is funny to watch people shoot birds your dogs put up though isnt it.
I would have been so mad... If I saw a dog on point while driving throught he country I would pull over and watch from a distance. Its a shame that people take advantage of others hard work, but this is America after all :roll:

deke

Post by deke » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:13 pm

i was being sarcastic, it happens alot though combat hunting

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:34 pm

deke wrote:i was being sarcastic, it happens alot though combat hunting
I've heard of combat fishing, but combat hunting?!?! That sounds dangerous and if you're taking it as far as shooting over a strangers dog, that's just straight up rude.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:36 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
deke wrote:i was being sarcastic, it happens alot though combat hunting
I've heard of combat fishing, but combat hunting?!?! That sounds dangerous and if you're taking it as far as shooting over a strangers dog, that's just straight up rude.
I've never heard of either... please explain...

deke

Post by deke » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm

80 guys going out into the same fields all in different directions, walking at eachother shooting birds that get up in the middle of them. I have been shot twice, i have seen and been in fist fights, seen dog fights, watched a dog get shot. Basically the worst possible scenario for hunting you can think of times ten.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:24 pm

And there you have it,exactly why I don't play................ but rather pay for fuel to drive acrossed the hump
deke wrote:80 guys going out into the same fields all in different directions, walking at eachother shooting birds that get up in the middle of them. I have been shot twice, i have seen and been in fist fights, seen dog fights, watched a dog get shot. Basically the worst possible scenario for hunting you can think of times ten.