Thinking about trials

wberry85

Thinking about trials

Post by wberry85 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:01 pm

I am on my second GSP and I have been thinking more and more about trials with him, as he comes from fairly decent trial stock. My first GSP I trained myself and it has become my favorite hobby. Trials seem fun and a great way to "take it to the next level" but I am clueless when it comes to trials. GSPCA, NAVHDA, NSTRA...all so confusing with all these different tests and titles. I at least want to start out with a JH or NA test to see if I enjoy it. I hear so many different (and strong) opinions on what tests hold weight.

Is there a place that I can read about how all of this is run and decide what direction I want to take this?

Brittguy

Re: Thinking about trials

Post by Brittguy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:23 pm

AKC.org you can get some idea from their website. Better to go to a hunt test and talk/watch

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:48 pm

And go to the NAVHDA web site to read about their tests. Best to attend one and talk to some of the members though. As far as trials, you can find information about the different kinds of trials on the web also. But still better to observe a few. I will say the NSTRA trials are probably the most affordable and accessible IMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:09 pm

The main difference is that some events are competitive (1rst. second, third place maybe 0, and other events measure the dog against a written standard( pass, fail)

The first thing to decide whether you want it competive or not.Tthe second decision is whether you want to shoot the bird yourself or test while someone else shoots.

Once you make those decisons the trial/test events that you want , become more obvious.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:11 pm

hunt tests are just that a test when you are done you are done.

field trials are competitions with no end to them. yeah your dog can get a fc but there are still championships etc.

imo comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges.

steamer

Post by steamer » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm

http://www.navhda.org/ http://www.nstra.org/index.html hope these work and help. i dont know much about the akc trials but there are plenty of people on here that do and can help with that

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:23 pm

there is a vizsla club just north of you in atlanta, that is fairly active in doing ft's. You could check them out when they have their next trial and see what you think. I know they just had one the Thanksg week.

brandon

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 am

I would suggest going out to the different trials and watching some to help make up your mind. In Georgia there is a trial somewhere just about every weekend until March.

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks guys. One question on NAVHDA... Are the dogs tested for their ability on ducks and furry creatures? I dont have much interest in that and I mainly only train for upland game like quail, etc.