Upland hunting during deer gun season

Munster

Upland hunting during deer gun season

Post by Munster » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 am

Who does this and how do you keep it safe?

it is 1st season shotgun here in Iowa, after that comes second. If I chose to wait to hunt my dogs I have to sit out for 3 weeks! I am definatly hooked on this stuff and dont want to wait.

My plan is to hunt during the week and to get hi viz vests for the dogs.

Does anyone else do tis or do you just wait.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Upland hunting during deer gun season

Post by nikegundog » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:10 am

We hunt during deer hunting after are deer tags are filled, just have to avoid certain public land that have deer hunters on it. I hunt with flushers and friends that have pointing breeds don't range all that much. If I had a dog that ranged 300 yds, I would never hunt on public land during deer season. If we are pheasant hunting we are guaranteed to move a big buck, and if were doing a deer drive we are guaranteed to move a large amount of pheasants.

isuhunter

Post by isuhunter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:32 am

Munster wrote:Who does this and how do you keep it safe?

it is 1st season shotgun here in Iowa, after that comes second. If I chose to wait to hunt my dogs I have to sit out for 3 weeks! I am definatly hooked on this stuff and dont want to wait.

My plan is to hunt during the week and to get hi viz vests for the dogs.

Does anyone else do tis or do you just wait.
I'm just west of you. We usually stay away from public ground and only go on places we feel are safe or don't go at all.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:52 am

We have a LOT of public land here in Wi. If I get there and someone is there, I go to a different spot. I also always have the dog in an orange vest, deer hunting season or not. I have never had a problem.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 am

Like was said, private land only, usually where we know there isn't hunting on adjoining properties...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 am

Here in ohio we cannot hunt small game during deer gun season at all.
Found that one out the hard way, the first year they added the second weekend
of gun season :oops:
Be safe out there,
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:22 am

At our local WMA the only upland bird we could hunt would be woodcock, and during the week the public area doesn't get a whole lot of deer hunting traffic. That said while hunting in deer season we blaze orange up and don't really bust too much brush. Always seem to have pretty good luck and often have the woods to ourselves. I don't think I would go out during the weekend as the public land can attract some real cowboys.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am

Maybe I'm just a worrier but I don't hunt any public land during deer season. It's just not worth it. And I'm just as worried about me shooting a hunter as I am about a hunter shooting me or my dog. Camoed blaze orange is surprisingly difficult to see in the woods and most deer hunters will sit quietly and let you pass. While I consider myself to be a safe hunter and by no means am I trigger happy, the off chance that I, or someone else, could make a mistake is enough to keep me out of the woods. Bird hunting and deer hunting just don't mix well and couple birds just isn't worth a potential life of regret.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Gentlemen & Ladies
Here in Pa it is against the law to hunt with your dogs in rifle Deer season, except on a regulated shooting grounds. So we do not hunt or train during this part of the season.
RGD/Dave

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Dog goes in an orange vest, and if anyone shoots at the dog I'm shooting them. Since they stock here most deer hunters avoid those areas. My bigger problem is keeping my ranging pup from running up to other bird hunters. :oops:

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Gentlemen & Ladies
Here in Pa it is against the law to hunt with your dogs in rifle Deer season, except on a regulated shooting grounds. So we do not hunt or train during this part of the season.
RGD/Dave

I do not think that is correct. The below is from the Pa game commission site.

Dogs are not permitted to hunt big game, except for turkeys during the fall. All State Game Lands are closed to all dog training activities from the Monday prior to the start of the youth pheasant season until the close of the youth pheasant season. On Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas dog training is prohibited from the first Sunday in February through July 31 each year.
• There is no closed season for training dogs.
• A hunting or furtaker license is not required for dog training.
• Dogs may not be trained on private land on Sunday without the landowner’s permission.
• A person may not carry a rifle, shotgun or bow and arrows while training dogs.
• Dogs are not permitted to injure or kill wildlife. Owners are liable for any wildlife killed or injured by dogs. When training dogs, hunters need to
be aware of and avoid areas, especially wetlands, where birds are nesting.
• All hunters are urged to respect dog owners and their sport. Dogs can be attracted by electronic calling devices, as well as turkey calls. Be sure of your
target. While the law requires dogs to be under the control of their owner or handler at all times, dogs often are not within sight of their handler while tracking game. Dogs cannot read no trespassing signs and do not heed fences. If you see a hunting dog running or barking, even though you may not see the handler, he or she is probably not far behind. It is unlawful for dogs to chase or pursue big game, however, the PGC recommends that dogs not be shot unless they are actually in the act of attacking a big game animal and there is no other option. If you see a dog or dogs chasing any deer, bear, elk or turkey, please contact the Game Commission and report the violation. Hunting dog owners have significant amounts of time and money invested in their dogs, and they consider their dogs hunting partners and friends. Please do not shoot hunting dogs just because you do not immediately see their handler.
• There are appropriate penalties in the Game and Wildlife Code to deter owners from permitting their dogs to chase big game. If you shoot a dog that is not attacking a big game animal you could be subject to prosecution under the Crimes Code as a misdemeanor offense with penalties of up to $5,000 and two years imprisonment, as well as civil liability for the restitution of the dog. Any person who destroys a dog (licensed or unlicensed) attacking a big game animal must report the incident to the dog’s owner or a Game Commission officer within 48 hours, as required by law.
• Electronic devices may be used for locating dogs while training or hunting, including such devices as e-collars, radio-telemetry dog tracking systems and beeper collars.
In addition to the regulations, dogs should be handled in a safe and humane manner, with adequate consideration to temperature and ventilation in transportation cages and compartments.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 pm

crazyboy wrote:Dog goes in an orange vest, and if anyone shoots at the dog I'm shooting them. Since they stock here most deer hunters avoid those areas.
My bigger problem is keeping my ranging pup from running up to other bird hunters. :oops:
:lol:
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm

It is not against the law to hunt birds during deer season here in NC, but it is way to dangerous to even try. My friends and I hunt some private land with some pen raised just to get the season started and to work the cob webs and kinks out of the dogs and US!!!! :D :D .....Everyone and their brothers deer hunt in the area and surrounding areas, so its hard to hunt or train and not make someone mad. I used to be able to walk my pup and train him on certain things on Sundays but they have just passed a law to make it legal to bow hunt on Sundays. So....now I have to practice patience and wait my turn to run the fields and woods.....no biggie.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Several of the CA areas in MO have special deer hunting restrictions, during firearm season I'll run the dogs on the areas that only allow bow hunting.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm

stlgsp wrote:Several of the CA areas in MO have special deer hunting restrictions, during firearm season I'll run the dogs on the areas that only allow bow hunting.

Ditto!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 pm

gpblitz wrote:I don't hunt grouse during deer season. To many folks up here still believe a dog in the woods during deer season is a dead dog.

Exactly . Out of respect for the deer hunters I don't hunt public land during deer season. I don't want my dog running under someone's tree blind.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 pm

I go after our deer tags are filled.

Like stated earlier, dogs in blaze vests and keep 'em close. Don't hunt anything with other hunters on it or on adjacent land.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:43 am

Sharon wrote:
gpblitz wrote:I don't hunt grouse during deer season. To many folks up here still believe a dog in the woods during deer season is a dead dog.

Exactly . Out of respect for the deer hunters I don't hunt public land during deer season. I don't want my dog running under someone's tree blind.
Nothing against public land, or those that use it.

I have little to no respect for the half wits that occupy the public lands during deer gun around here. I avoid it because I am afraid they will shoot me or my dog, with an unknown degree of intent.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Wired

Post by Wired » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:39 am

Munster wrote:Who does this and how do you keep it safe?
Munster, I live in WI & the rifle deer season here for me is a dangerous time to chase birds with my dogs. When the deer rifle season opens, my dogs and gear get packed and we leave the state.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm

I've never let deer season stop me from hunting birds. If I pull up to a piece of property and there is a deer hunter parked there already, I go look for another place to hunt. Deer season was open in North Dakota when I was up there a few weeks ago, and I have hunted birds in Kansas during their deer season. In NoDak, the deer hunters will follow us around and watch from the road to see if we move any deer out of the fields. We also came upon a couple of deer hunters that had shot a nice buck on the course of the VCA NAFC. If I thought there were any birds in NE Iowa I would have been out hunting today instead of hauling deer to the locker, but I haven't seen a pheasant around here since March.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I think what Ryman means is that all the species that you would hunt (traditionally anyway) are closed to hunting during the 2 week rifle deer season here in PA. It is unlawful to hunt deer with dogs in PA and dogs caught chasing deer can be killed. I here there is a bill in the state house which would allow the tracking of a downded or wounded deer with a dog.

-John

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 am

I don't think it's illegal in mn to hunt with a dog during deer season, but I also am pretty sure it's legal to shoot a deer chasing dog. I like to take the pup out to nature centers where he can tromp around during the season and maybe even bump a pheasant or two. I don't need to shoot a bird to have fun out in a field.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks for bringing this up. It never would have occurred to me that this would be an issue, as I have done all of my hunting in Alaska up till now. We're moving to the south east though, so I guess I'll have to start thinking about this...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:57 am

Glad shotgun is over today. I was just reading the article about the guy that got shot in the head yesterday, who was in a party of 12. That's one of Iowa's deer shotgun accidents this year--three on 1st opener weekend alone as I recall. We went out 3-4 times during their season this year, but never on the weekend. I truly believe that's when the yahoo's come out. Saturday I was on my way to get the mail and saw hunters laying flat in the gravel road ditch .5 mile from my house. I might not have seen them if I'd been in the car, but there was no missing them in the taller truck, especially when I could see a dozen drivers out in the creek bed across the bean field. Being in the ditch is legal, but it was the 1st time I've ever seen that, and it kind of surprised me.

Of the 3-4 times we went out during this shotgun season, we ran into one deer hunter. We were on a patch of county land, with no other vehicles in the parking lot. That's our rule most days out, and definitely during shotgun. The ground is all grassland, with a lot of road frontage, 3 brushy fencelines, and a wooded creek line that edges a corner. As we neared that farthest corner, I spotted orange on the perimeter fence, and we immediately turned. I'm not sure if the hunter stepped out to make his presence known, or if that was just the first chance I got to see him through the tall prairie grass. Since my dogs had already worked ahead of us, and probably would have barked being startled to see him, I'm guessing he stepped out after they had passed near. At any rate, we were able to work the rest of the field back with zero issues and no confrontation. It was to me, the way things should go. We all have legal licenses to be out there, and it's a shame that we can't work together and be reasonable with each other when we do happen to rub elbows.

The safety issue of folks that shoot at any sound or any movement, scares the heck out of me though...so I tend to talk much more to my dogs during this season. While I won't knowingly go out in the field with any deer hunter, you can never be 100% sure that you aren't sharing the field. I whistle and call em back to water more and make my presence known. My dogs always wear orange vests and collars too, so there's no doubt why they are in the field.
In NoDak, the deer hunters will follow us around and watch from the road to see if we move any deer out of the fields.
We moved a beautiful buck on Friday. Must have been at least a 12, and I was thinking that exact thing.

MTJoe

Post by MTJoe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Here in Montana your dogs can get shot by people who simply fail to identify the target, or they will say it was running livestock, or looked like what was running livestock. I hunt birds on public land, and I simply go to my next spot if vehicles are present, it is not worth me going to jail for shooting the moron who didnt see a bird dog in orange! :twisted:

Munster

Post by Munster » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:53 pm

I played it pretty safe. I only went on the weekdays. I hunted during times that deer hunters werent out and I stayed in the open. I kept Max close and was just aware of what was going on around me. I actually walked out when I saw a hunter in orange walk in at one point.

But, wems brings up a good thought. If hunters are shooting people in their own party that they know are there, I guess we need to be more careful.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:57 pm

John,
Thank you sir, that is exactly what I was saying. Further if you have a dog in the woods during Deer gun season here in Pa and the WCO see it, get ready to due some tall explaining.
RGD/Dave