finally after 4 years of asking it finally happened.

sjkennels

finally after 4 years of asking it finally happened.

Post by sjkennels » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 pm

After finally selling my other dogs and 4 years of asking last night my lovely wife finally gave me the ok. to keep bella my gsp in the house for good or at least when i'm not at work since we dont have a fenced in back yard. thankfully she doesn't bark at night when in the kennel. so went out bought her a new bed, new food and water dishes a brush and a lent roller for the wife. this is the first time i have had a dog in the house. so does anybody have advice on house breaking her? i have just been letting her out every couple hours. and any other advice that anyone wants to give me i am all ears or eyes in this matter.

kick'em up knock'em down

proudag08

Re: finally after 4 years of asking it finally happened.

Post by proudag08 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Putting my pup on a leash and going to the same part of the yard and saying "go potty" or whatever you want to say worked well!. He knows that as soon as he gets out there its time for business or he doesnt get to go back in. Now thats its cold, it helps him hurry it up. :)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Like button!
brenda

wberry85

Post by wberry85 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:25 pm

If you can catch him in the act, just say "NO!" and then take him outside. When he goes outside praise him. Seems to work well enough. My 13 week old is finally scratching at the back door to go out after 3 weeks of doing this.

If you see pee on the floor dont scold him after the fact. I dont think it works unless you catch him doing it.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:00 pm

my advice would be not to let her have full run of the house where she can go out of sight until you know shes fully house trained..if you can block off an area such as the kitchen it allows you to keep any eye on ques she gives when she has to go out and if she does have an accident its not all over the house its confined to one area..bringing her out on a leash is a good tip, we do it too because it lets the pup/dog know its potty time not play time, good luck, she sure looks like shes comfy :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:21 pm

I can't remember where I saw this post, but someone on here was saying don't praise the dog because sometimes the dog will associate the praise with peeing, not with peeing outside, and will actually run up to you in the house and pee thinking she is doing something good. My pup learned fine with the praise method, but I could see how just keeping your mouth shut and letting the dog make the location association on her own may speed the process up and keep your wife happy too! My pup definitely peed the first couple times right in front of me and looking back I wonder if that's because he thought he was doing something good. The other thing that is helpful for an indoor dog is training it to ring a bell at the door if she wants or needs to go out. It's as simple as knocking the bell with her nose every time you let her out. The only thing to watch out for is making sure the dog doesn't learn a cue for you to let her back in. Otherwise you'll have a dog that is constantly going in and out of the house.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Lucky thing I don't have a wife! :P House breaking is pretty easy. Crate the pup up in the house and when it get's resless, take it out. Out after eating and if you can swing it, have her on the bed with you. When she needs out she'll wake you up moving around. Whatever you do, take advantage of the pup most likely being a clean dog and won't mess it's nest. There are dogs that do but most don't.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:53 pm

DonF wrote: House breaking is pretty easy. Crate the pup up in the house and when it get's resless, take it out. Out after eating and if you can swing it, have her on the bed with you. When she needs out she'll wake you up moving around. Whatever you do, take advantage of the pup most likely being a clean dog and won't mess it's nest. There are dogs that do but most don't.

+1

asc

Post by asc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

sjkennels wrote:After finally selling my other dogs and 4 years of asking last night my lovely wife finally gave me the ok. to keep bella my gsp in the house for good or at least when i'm not at work since we dont have a fenced in back yard. thankfully she doesn't bark at night when in the kennel. so went out bought her a new bed, new food and water dishes a brush and a lent roller for the wife. this is the first time i have had a dog in the house. so does anybody have advice on house breaking her? i have just been letting her out every couple hours. and any other advice that anyone wants to give me i am all ears or eyes in this matter.

Bought my wife a new bed too... dogs don't kick me in the side near as much as the wife does :lol: We just took the dogs out after they eat and several times at night, like DonF said (they get restless, time to go out). We praised them when they went outside and scolded them when we caught them in the act, worked good.

Enjoy!
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

solon

Post by solon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:22 am

One tip in addition to those already posted: depending on the degree of privacy you have, pee yourself in the yard where you want the dog to pee. She will smell it and scent mark on top of it. This works well for the evening piss call (when it is dark anyway, if you have close neighbors). All our dogs line up to mark the same spot. Use a command that they can learn by repetition; I say Go PeePee!