Anyone live near the 2012 invitational location?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Anyone live near the 2012 invitational location?

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:43 am

i know its 9 months away but time flies by especially once spring gets here and testing and training the dogs start, plus having 5 kids and our own business my husband and i have to plan for vacations very early... we are planning on attending the 2012 invitational and hopefully do some volunteering as well as spectating..its in searsboro iowa and is a 10 hour drive each way so we are making it a 5 day vacation and setting up camp to attend..ive spoke to a few members by pm about what to expect and got some great info (thanks :D ) and now i wonder if anyone of you can help with info who either live in the area or have hunted the area where would be the best place to either set up our RV or if it would be better to get a motel dog friendly of course, places to eat in the area and all that good stuff..we will be bringing the dogs so any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated also if anyone else is planning on attending or has a qualifying dog i hope to put a face to a name and say hello, thanks again...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

steingre

Re: Anyone live near the 2012 invitational location?

Post by steingre » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:18 am

Welcome to Iowa!!!

I live about 70 miles SE of Searsboro-- and pheasant hunt a lot about around the Sigourney, IA area. I'm also the chair of our local County Conservation board, so I'll direct you first to campgrounds that the Poweshiek County Conservation Board manages, in Montezuma, IA- 10 miles from Searsboro:

http://www.poweshiekcountyparks.org/

Montezuma, population 1350, is the county seat, and typical small town Iowa- friendly people, a couple of gas stations, a couple of small eateries, high school sports, and a lot of quiet times!!!

Grinnell is the largest town in the county- about 13 miles from Searsboro, sits close to Interstate 80- several motels in the area- can't speak to pet friendliness!

Let me know if I can be of more help!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 am

steingre wrote:Welcome to Iowa!!!

I live about 70 miles SE of Searsboro-- and pheasant hunt a lot about around the Sigourney, IA area. I'm also the chair of our local County Conservation board, so I'll direct you first to campgrounds that the Poweshiek County Conservation Board manages, in Montezuma, IA- 10 miles from Searsboro:

http://www.poweshiekcountyparks.org/

Montezuma, population 1350, is the county seat, and typical small town Iowa- friendly people, a couple of gas stations, a couple of small eateries, high school sports, and a lot of quiet times!!!

Grinnell is the largest town in the county- about 13 miles from Searsboro, sits close to Interstate 80- several motels in the area- can't speak to pet friendliness!

Let me know if I can be of more help!

THANKS for the nice welcome :D so excited to see iowa and im thinking camping out will be the best bet but im looking into the motels too, thanks again and if you or anyone else has any more info feel free to share, i bet theres lots of out of state folks going and could use some info as well, sooooo excited :mrgreen: ...ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

thanks for all the pm's, you guys are a great help!! IOWA is going to be great..looks like we are going to stay in the RV and looks like we will be camping out with some great members on here as well, everyone feel free to post any info about the area and what to expect at the invitational as far as food, accomodations, hospital or vets near by, it all helps :D ...ruth

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:46 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:thanks for all the pm's, you guys are a great help!! IOWA is going to be great..looks like we are going to stay in the RV and looks like we will be camping out with some great members on here as well, everyone feel free to post any info about the area and what to expect at the invitational as far as food, accomodations, hospital or vets near by, it all helps :D ...ruth
Don't know if they'll be there next september but watch out for the two ladies hawking hotdogs in the parking lot......... 8)

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:thanks for all the pm's, you guys are a great help!! IOWA is going to be great..looks like we are going to stay in the RV and looks like we will be camping out with some great members on here as well, everyone feel free to post any info about the area and what to expect at the invitational as far as food, accomodations, hospital or vets near by, it all helps :D ...ruth
Don't know if they'll be there next september but watch out for the two ladies hawking hotdogs in the parking lot......... 8)

Coveyrise64
:D :D :D

I hope to make it over for a day or two, since it's just 2 hours from me. Mary ("Munster") will surely be there too.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:42 pm

wems2371 wrote:
Coveyrise64 wrote:

Coveyrise64
:D :D :D

I hope to make it over for a day or two, since it's just 2 hours from me. Mary ("Munster") will surely be there too.
HMMM i wonder who the 2 ladies hawking hotdogs are :lol: hope to see you there :D ....ruth