thinking on a new kennel

harvester28

thinking on a new kennel

Post by harvester28 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:46 pm

im thinking on building me a new kennel. i usually keep room for four to five dogs. any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated. maybe even pics. thank you

LaTexCLB

Re: thinking on a new kennel

Post by LaTexCLB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm

I just built one using 2 x 4 treated pine frame set up in 5' x 12' sections on 2.5' centers. For the floor, I used treated 1x4's w/ about a 3/8" gap so the pee would run through fairly easily. The gap is not big enough for puppy feet or big turds to fall through, but with a slight slope designed in - the solid waste should wash off the kennel deck easily enough. I also painted the 1"x4"'s with exterior acrylic paint to help reduce the urine from soaking into the wood. As for the 5' x 12' sections, w/ 1x4 decking on top - they are light enough that two people can move them if needed - but plenty sturdy to walk on. I have two (2) 5'x12' sections positioned side-by-side with a 10'x10' chain link kennel setting on top. I have the frame sitting on cinder blocks - so the kennel deck is about a foot off the ground. Pretty well brand new, but I like it so far. For the roof, I've used U-bolts to attach a couple of 12' 2x4's - to which I nailed roofing tin to provide cover from the rain. Wood + chain link kennel nearly $600.
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Here is my new kennel set up. It is still a work in progress but is getting there. Things that need to be done yet are Roof, Tarp for sides, Going to at two more 6' sections so the kennel goes all the way around the decking. It is 2 8'X10' Sections with Decking boards on top. Everything is treated and will get sanded and stained in the spring. No more digging or dirty dogs when it rains or snows. Easy to clean up after them too. Also the house has to be finished up with Shingles and trim boards, then it will be painted.

LaTexCLB

Post by LaTexCLB » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:28 pm

The photo above is very similar to the one I just built - except I've also included a plywood roof mounted on 2x4's.
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133