GWP acting like a Lab

Colo kid

GWP acting like a Lab

Post by Colo kid » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Just got back from a pheasant hunt on the Colo & KS border. The birds are really bunched up this time of year. When me and the dog would approach a likley spot, the birds would begin the flush. My GWP Would not point, he would jump in to help the flush. He did not chase. Instead he would root the buches picking what ever sent was left. Several times I noticed a cottontail would come out the other side of the cover. I am thinking he might be rabbit hunting. although he doesn't chase rabbits anymore. Should I use the E-collar if I suspect he is hunting rabbits? It's a very fine line, is he searching for birds or rabbits. I only notice this when he is in heavy cover. I observed this from being on top of a tank dams. Thanks for any help.
By the way he is not a broke dog only steady to the flush.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: GWP acting like a Lab

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:18 pm

What training has he had so far? How old is he?

Don't use any e-collar unless he has been broke in the yard first. You transition to the e-collar for correction in the yard first - transitioning from CC to e-collar.

If he's a young dog , untrained, let him run and flush until you see pointing starting.One reason to bring up a dog to point and hold on the flush and shot is so you don't shoot a flushing dog. Be careful.

E collar is only used to correct a behaviour that your are SURE the dog knows well.Timing is everything. You're thinking that correcting him on rabbits would solve the problem. It quite likely would make for a pile of other problems. The dog doesn't think like we do. He could be saying, " I guess I'm suppose to avoid bushes."
I don't see where he is broke to the flush as he is "helping us flush".

I would never use an e-collar while dog is rooting around in a bush. A bird could go up . Forget the rabbits ,give him bird experience in a more controlled setting.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett