Cancun

dog dr

Cancun

Post by dog dr » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Anybody ever been there?? thinking about booking a trip for my wife and me, for her CHristmas gift. Just not real sure about it, as i have never been out of the country. What resorts do you recommend, is it okay to do this withOUT a travel agent, am i gonna get kidnapped??? tell me what you know, please.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Cancun

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Was there for spring break in 1990 the year i graduated highschool :mrgreen: sorry its all a blur 8) ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm

I've been to Mexico twice (and several other places like it). The kidnapping problems are mainly on the other coastline and are in areas that as a tourist I wouldn't go anyway. We use a travel agent because I want someone to contact if things aren't right. We had a friend buy a trip from an online site and they gave them a European package instead of the all inclusive package they bought. Long story short...they had to charge everything then try to recoup the money. Go to http://www.trip adviser.com and check out the reviews and travel forums for the right place. Keep in mind that there's always someone who will complain about something. I took my wife to the Dominican last year and booked an adult only trip in a swim up suite...it was awesome. I haven't stayed in cancun but we stayed at a Riu resort in the riveiera Maya and it was very nice. Most of the time you can spend a little extra and get a bottom floor room with an ocean view. I personally wouldn't book a room too far from the ocean because I want a short walk but it's not important to some people.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Check out Telum and Isle De Mujeres. Some really cool snorkeling or scuba diving around there as well as some fantastic ruins. Jealous btw.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

You might also try somewhere in the carribean... less dangerous and you might be suprised at the similarities of the prices... There is also a cruise to consider... IMHO thats the best way to "go to Mexico"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Doc, if this is for you and your wife, go to the Rockhouse in Negril Jamaica. I have been to almost all the islands, some more than once, and that resort is one of the finest I have been to. It is also a steal of a trip. Flights are easy to Montego Bay. Because of the location on the cliffs children must be 12. It is not expensive at all. You will have your own villa on the reef. Negril is a hoot of a time. It is a non-profit resort that supports and builds schools and libraries in Jamaica. 5 Stars at a 2 Star price.

http://www.rockhousehotel.com/escape.php

I have pictures I took if you PM your email.

The other I would recommend is the IberoStar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana, DR. For an all-inclusive it was great. Wonderful beach.

Between the two Rockhouse, woooohoooo

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:51 pm

I was at Cancun/Cozumel 25 years ago. It was great then but it just depends on what you are looking for. It is now very built up, lots of nightclubs etc Depends what you want.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:08 pm

The wife and I stayed at Sandos Caracol(Rivera Mia) and we thouroughly enjoyed it. Did a little snorkeling near Isle De Mujeres from a catamaran and that was great also. I would highly recommend the place. You'll see mixed reviews for Sandos on the net, but our experience was a positive one. I would love to go right now, but can't. You might check http://www.travelbyjen.com for specials, they have sandos in there from time to time.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:27 pm

My wife and I went there 5 years ago for our honeymoon. LOVED it... Will be going back. I recommend doing an all inclusive as the meals can be expensive not to mention free drinks if you drink. We stayed at the Omni and I would highly recommend them.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:46 pm

If you go to Cancun, avoid the Moon Palace. We had a bad experience there this spring. Went to Riviera Maya a few years earlier and had a great time there.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 pm

mcbosco wrote:Doc, if this is for you and your wife, go to the Rockhouse in Negril Jamaica. I have been to almost all the islands, some more than once, and that resort is one of the finest I have been to. It is also a steal of a trip. Flights are easy to Montego Bay. Because of the location on the cliffs children must be 12. It is not expensive at all. You will have your own villa on the reef. Negril is a hoot of a time. It is a non-profit resort that supports and builds schools and libraries in Jamaica. 5 Stars at a 2 Star price.

http://www.rockhousehotel.com/escape.php

I have pictures I took if you PM your email.

The other I would recommend is the IberoStar Grand Bavaro in Punta Cana, DR. For an all-inclusive it was great. Wonderful beach.

Between the two Rockhouse, woooohoooo
+1 on Negril! Beautiful beach. The only drawback is the bus ride from the airport!

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:33 am

If you are thinking about international travel in the near future, you should apply for your passports now.

We have been to Cancun and the Riviera Maya several times over the last 7 years. We went to Punta Cana one year because Cancun was hit by a hurricane. The Dominican was really nice, but more expensive than Mexico. We look for an all-inclusive resort with a variety of ala carte restaurants, several swimming pools, and a nice beach. We rarely leave the resort except for day trips like snorkeling. I would recommend staying at least 5 nights because your first and last day of the trip are spent traveling. My wife books the trip herself through Apple Vacations or Fun Jet, but you can't go wrong using a travel agent for peace of mind.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!! Lots of great responses and I got a little help from each one.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:56 pm

We went it was ok. Definetly do all inclusive. We went on a company trip so most of it was paid for. Can tell you be careful we had alot of people get sick. Seemed to have happened on the way hoe or last day there. My wife started getting sick on the flight back to St. Louis. By the time we got there she was feeling pretty bad. I got sick the next day about mid day. We were very careful with what we drank. We also did a cruise to the Bahamas, I think I may have liked it better.

Papa Drake

Post by Papa Drake » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Go check this site out. mexicandestinations.com. This is one of my wife's companies websites. ask for Noel Michaud she is the best agent for this area.

Sorry this is not SPAM I just travel through my wife and everything always seems to go off without a hitch.

Good luck I wish I was going. Take your flyrod plenty of great tarpon, bones and permit to chase

Papa Drake

legallyblonde

Post by legallyblonde » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:42 am

Definitely check out Apple Vacations. We just booked a trip to Riviera Maya through Apple, all inclusive and a direct flight both ways. My boss goes every year through Apple Vacations and said it can't be beat, especially for the price. He recommends the 5 and 6 star resorts, some are pricey but you can also get some ridiculous deals too. I've been told the 5 and 6 star resorts have their own water processing/purification, so it's safe to brush your teeth, have drinks with ice, eat fruit, etc. We're going at the end of Feb and I can't wait!!
Sara
SHR UWP CH Abbe Lane's Prince of Darkness TAN NA-I
UWPCH CA GSJCH USUVCH Boogerman Loverboy Oskar CGC TDI

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 am

You can have a drink with ice as long as there is alcohol in said glass :)

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:31 pm

ultracarry wrote:You can have a drink with ice as long as there is alcohol in said glass :)
I've had alcohol in almost every "said glass" I've had on resorts and I've never had an issue, :D My wife and I have also had lots of fountain soda without alcohol without issue but we have only stayed at nicer places through apple or funjet. I brush with bottled water...or tequila :wink:

deke

Post by deke » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:54 am

We go to Pueblo Bonita Mazatlan every year or two and it is always awesome. Get the all inclusive package though because it pays for itself after breakfast. Also El Salto is just a short drive away and the resort has package deals. Awesome bass fishing, we caught 30 bass over 8 lbs last year.