Idaho Pheasant

wills1235

Idaho Pheasant

Post by wills1235 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:00 am

Hey I'm going to be moving back to North Idaho (as far south as I can talk my wife into). Does anyone have any info re: pheasant in the Plummer/ St. Maries area? I've seen a few quail. Are they Californias? Seems to be a lot of grouse too, which is great, but I'd like to know how far south I need to go to have phezz in the back 40. I've seen lots of phezz between ID and WA around ID 6....
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

fishvik

Re: Idaho Pheasant

Post by fishvik » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:55 am

My experience going to school up there and returning over the years is you really don't get into good pheasant habitat until you get to Potlatch and south.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 am

After you've eaten a couple Blue Grouse, you swear off pheasant for life.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Not many up in the handle area, your better off in Dayton, that is pretty good pheasant country.

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 pm

I grew up in Northern MN eating lots of Ruffies, and I've managed to eat a few blues from the mountains around here too, so I know how good the table fare is. But as ymepointer says I'm in some pretty good pheasant country, and they're a lot of fun to hunt. So are all the quail, hun, and chukar that I can find within a half-hour of my house. Never mind the ruffies and blues within 20 minutes either direction. But since moving is pretty inevitable, I want to prepare myself for how bad it's gonna be. Cause it's pretty good out here. Pretty "bleep" good. Went out after work today- had 40 minutes of shooting light and ended up with 6 quail and 2 roosters.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

Vision

Post by Vision » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:53 am

DonF wrote:After you've eaten a couple Blue Grouse, you swear off pheasant for life.

Really?