Man These Dogs are Dirty

ROTTnBRITT

Man These Dogs are Dirty

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am

So my dogs have kind of taken over my basement. We rarely spend anytime down there now. It is all finished with tile floors, granite bar, big screen tv..... anyways it makes nice place to hang out when we have company. The problem I am having is that it get dirty so quickly. We can do a complete cleaning down there and in just a few days there is a film of dirt on everything again. So Im looking for any helpful ideas that would cut down on the amount of dirt coming in the door.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Man These Dogs are Dirty

Post by DonF » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 am

Let them upstairs in the house. Take them out more.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:12 am

Pave the yard: Not much you can do unless you have a compulsive disorder. :mrgreen:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 am

I was just thinking today about how great it is going to be when I win the lottery and have a dog shower and drying system in the garage, and a garage for that matter, and someone to clean my filthy house for me.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 am

Winchey wrote:I was just thinking today about how great it is going to be when I win the lottery and have a dog shower and drying system in the garage, and a garage for that matter, and someone to clean my filthy house for me.
That would be nice.

The ground is freezing up now, so that will help. We had a pretty wet year and the dogs did a good job of making a trial around the house. I was thinking about doing some pavers coming off the steps from the deck that comes down to the basement door. That path gets hit pretty hard.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:57 am

We have always made our dogs stop when they come in the door on a mat.. Helps the pups learn "whoa" too... after a while they figgure out the drill and stand there and hold up one paw at a time to be wiped off... it's easier than you think... kind of a pain, but it cuts down on a TON of dirt in the house... :roll: and biscut rewards never hurt...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Unless your like me, you clean your house more than you do the basement, you'll seldom notice dirt by the dogs. If they track a bit of mud in here, I let it dry and vacume it up, works great! You keep them in the basement and how often do you clean down there? Of course it get's dirty if it's being used.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:09 pm

DonF wrote:Unless your like me, you clean your house more than you do the basement, you'll seldom notice dirt by the dogs. If they track a bit of mud in here, I let it dry and vacume it up, works great! You keep them in the basement and how often do you clean down there? Of course it get's dirty if it's being used.
We Clean the living area once a week, sometimes it goes two weeks.(sweep, mop, and wipe down everything) There is a seperate room for the dogs, we usually just sweep up the hair and dirt in there and occasionally wipe down the cabinets and counter top and mop the floor.

One good thing is it makes a nice staging area before we bring the dogs upstair. They can dry off and leave the mud and dirt there. I didnt have a basement in my old house. The back room where the dogs came in was carpet. We had to vaccum that almost daily and steam clean it weekly.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:59 pm

There's only one other choice besides deal with it :( And I'm to old to be sleeping outside in Wis. in the winter :D
2 GSP's 24/7 in house here.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:06 pm

We have a hot and cold tap set up outside the back door on the deck to wash feet (kids and dogs) before coming in if they are muddy, we use it after the dogs have been at the beach and are covered in sand as well..dont need it in the winter with the snow BUT if we did need it we just hook the hose back up and turn it on warm, spray em down and unhook the hose again, make sure the lines are empty and were good to go :D we use it alot so if you can do it i recommend it highly..oh ya it makes for a great shower when the kids are covered in grass before going into the pool too so it dont get all stuck in the filter :wink: ..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 pm

When they are really bad we wash feet and bellies in walk-in shower with detachable head. Designed into the house, but you could rig something up. Or, in a pinch we damp towel them off at the door like everyone else does. The know the drill. Paw, whipe, paw, whipe, paw, whipe, paw, whipe, etc. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe the long hair tracks in more dirt, but my v's are pretty clean once you get them whiped down.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520