Help a new guy/ dog out

hunterw/newhobby

Help a new guy/ dog out

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello all with infinite wisdom,
So sunday I was out hunting with the dog and yours truely, just the two of us (which I love), and started to think about ways to increase our success rate. While doing this deep thinking the dog (2.5yrs gsp) was hunting about as good as she ever has (made the day even better). Here are a couple of the questions that came to mind during the hunt.
1) When walking through REALLY thick (10-12 ft tall in some places) CRP, is there any tricks to push birds into areas where shooting is more successful (ie. non 10 ft tall areas) without flushing the birds? I know they are wild but any tricks of the trade would be great. The dog did her job and then it was next to impossible to put the birds down while swinging the gun through the tall stuff. I knew that's where the birds would be so we went there but couldn't do much when there. I'm also getting tired of the dirty looks from the dog.
2) What are the "pinch points" you guys/gals look for when laying out a plan of action for a field when hunting alone?
3) Just in general, what does a new person to this danged old addicting hobby need to learn to be more successful when out hunting (both with and without others)?

I would like to have this topic not only benefit myself but also others who are new to the sport so please feel free to add anything productive that could help the newbies.
Happy hunting
Ross

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Help a new guy/ dog out

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:42 pm

hunterw/newhobby wrote: 3) Just in general, what does a new person to this danged old addicting hobby need to learn to be more successful when out hunting (both with and without others)?
Stay out of cover that is 10-12' high. :lol:
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:28 pm

On private land, hunting alone, I park my truck in a location to block birds in. I put my truck where I'm going to finish and where the pheasants are going to run to, it makes a huge difference for holding birds that would normally run out the end. If you are concerned that you might shoot your truck, don't do it.

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Nike, Thats a good idea, I mostly hunt walk ins but I could start pushing them to the truck.

yes I typically wouldn't hunt 10-12 ft tall stuff but that's where I know the birds are... refer to question #1 :D

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:57 am

Ross... Good post topic... You are asking good questions. When you get the answers... Write a book! The rest of us dummies would love to know too! My son and dog sat and laughed at me fighting my way out of the briars this year... Son had the low clear side so he could get a shot at anything and I followed the dog... When I finally broke thru shredded and bleeding they were howling with laughter... :evil: I think there may be something to Ruffshooters "walking point" as my dog was trying... Just creeping at point and trying to nudge without flushing... No shots but she was trying... :? I think the more birds the dog encounters, the better they get at getting the bird to react the way we need it to. I dunno...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln