Winter camping tips

RdHawg

Winter camping tips

Post by RdHawg » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm planning to go tent camping/ice fishing around Lake Tahoe in Janurary and would like to take my 2 Griffons with me. Being house dogs all their lives and one having hair that's pretty thin to begin with anybody got suggestions? Things to take with us? Ways to keep them warm during the day/sleeping at night? Just leave em home? :roll:
Web P4010013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishvik

Re: Winter camping tips

Post by fishvik » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:06 am

Start leaving them out side during the day. When you camp make sure they have insulation below them and maybe bring a blanket to throw over them. My guess is they will be warmer and happier than you at night.

terrym

Post by terrym » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:22 am

Bring a chunk of blue styrofoam to put under thier blanket. It will insulate way better than just a blanket.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 am

Buy a buddy heater.... I hate camping when its cold. That's why I switched from rifle hunting to archery....

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:34 am

Add one more and enjoy a couple "three dog nights." :wink:
Happiness is a warm gun.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:40 am

They'll do just fine........once they worm into the sleeping bag with you. :lol:
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 pm

I once heard an ad from a HVAC company that said, "Eskimos sleep with dogs to keep warm on cold winter nights. You're not an Eskimo."

But apparently, I am! It's why we have a king sized bed. :D

I'd set up the tent in the yard and practice having the dogs in it before you go. Dogs that are kept outside become acclimated to the cold, so leave them outside when you can. They also tend to need more food - they burn more calories when its cold. Our outside dogs eat more than twice as much as the inside dogs. Those propane heaters are great, but can also be deadly. The consume oxygen and can set a tent (or truck) on fire.

And if you can get those foam sheets to put inside the tent on the floor, that will make a huge difference to you and the dogs. Just cover them with a blanket or tarp or something so they don't get torn up.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:25 pm

ultracarry wrote:Buy a buddy heater.... I hate camping when its cold. That's why I switched from rifle hunting to archery....
X2 on the buddy heater $65-$70 will keep you warm and it stays cool on every side except the front so you don't have to worry about were to set it down. My also double as a snow emergency kit, it would keep me car warm for days if it ever came to that. They are equipped with an automatic low oxygen shutoff system.