What color lab?

Ranger351

What color lab?

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Is it true the color of a lab dampens hunting drive?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: What color lab?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Of course not. Absolutely no connection.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:17 pm

No color has nothing to do with drive in a lab any more than it does in anything other breed. But you may find that alot of your FT breedings for labs are black dogs.... or at least that has been my experience.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Most field trial dogs are black male dogs. Chocolates have been breed just for color and with disregard for everything else in some cases. While it is possible to get very good chocolate labs expect to spend more money and do more research. So yes on average a chocolate is going to be less of a dog, than a black lab. The color doesn't dampen drive, breeding strictly for color dampens drive. If we are strictly talking about pups within the same litter, no color has nothing to do with drive.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:27 pm

nikegundog wrote:Most field trial dogs are black male dogs. Chocolates have been breed just for color and with disregard for everything else in some cases. While it is possible to get very good chocolate labs expect to spend more money and do more research. So yes on average a chocolate is going to be less of a dog, than a black lab. The color doesn't dampen drive, breeding strictly for color dampens drive. If we are strictly talking about pups within the same litter, no color has nothing to do with drive.
Well put.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Black for me please, is there another color :)
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:22 am

Yeah, several. Including the color name of what's in this one's mouth -

"fox red" is a flavor of the month for Labs both here and the UK, but at least it's a legit color (unlike "silver" Labs). It's also considered a yellow - and several of those have won NRCs and national amateurs in the last decade.

Only thing that hurts a Lab's drive is a poor pedigree or an even poorer trainer.

MG

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 am

Fox red is the color of the first lab i ever bought 9 years ago. I thought i was taken for the longest time. The questions about what kind of dog he was didn't help my confidence either. We still have him and he's white in the face now but still gets every dove, duck and goose we shoot. He also sired two pups that went on to be assitance dogs for the blind at assistance dogs of the west here in santa fe. NM. I finally came across a tv show on ESPN. with a fox red lab out of Yellow Rose Kennels that resembled him. Long before then he never failed to amaze me and it didn't really matter what odd color he was.
Since he was getting old we purchased three choclates from dutch acres labradors in wisconsion. We hope to develop a replacement so we can retire old bob the builder.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:34 am

Ok I just heard blacks have more drive followed by chocolate then yellow and seems like any one I see with one only has black. I love the looks of a deep chocolate so was just curious that's all.

gsp-fan

Post by gsp-fan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:36 am

Are you looking for a buddy for your GSP? A friend has a lab & GSP that get along & hunt so great together :-)

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 am

No just debating with a friend so was asking on here

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 pm

Ranger351 wrote:Ok I just heard blacks have more drive followed by chocolate then yellow and seems like any one I see with one only has black. I love the looks of a deep chocolate so was just curious that's all.
I would say the most wins are by black followed by yellow then choclate last. I had a hard time getting a choclate with lots of wins in his pedigree. I ended up with "dutch acres big debut from sunnyburke" as my new stud. His pedigree comes up on google searches i would link it here but i can't off my phone. PS i do have pups for sale i am only keeping one.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 pm

crackerd wrote:Yeah, several. Including the color name of what's in this one's mouth -

"fox red" is a flavor of the month for Labs both here and the UK, but at least it's a legit color (unlike "silver" Labs). It's also considered a yellow - and several of those have won NRCs and national amateurs in the last decade.

Only thing that hurts a Lab's drive is a poor pedigree or an even poorer trainer.

MG

Red or Fox Red is just fancy slang for dark yella......

Ive seen to many inconsistencies mentally and physically in too many Choclate dogs to ever own one.....Black or bust :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:32 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Black for me please, is there another color :)

Silver. :wink:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:52 pm

Firemedic wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Black for me please, is there another color :)

Silver. :wink:

Like I said :lol:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:10 am

Chocolate labs have a not too good reputation among British field trialers and even among those of us who just go shooting. I'm told they tend to be slow and stupid compared to blacks and yellows. I've only ever trained one chocolate lab and she was the odd girl out among a litter of blacks from field trialing blood. She was as easy to train as any of my black labs . I think when chocolates are being scorned for being slow and/or stupid it is because their sires and dams were bred to deliberately produce chocolate rather than to produce top class gundogs.

Yellow lab pups used to get bumped on the head here because their breeders didn't want anyone to think their dogs could produce these "monstrosities !" One of the earliest kennels here to deliberately produce labs of fox colouring was the Duke of Buccleughs. This kennel is still on the go today but is now better known for quality working spaniels ......... mainly thanks to the efforts of the exceptionally good trainer employed by Buccleugh.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Bill, does Davy Lissett also handle Buccleuch's retrievers in trials - and if so, how has he fared since taking on the Labs supposedly descended from the Duke's original pedigreed animals?

MG