Trying to find Brittany Pups Homes - Need advice

chukarmandoo

Trying to find Brittany Pups Homes - Need advice

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Long story short. Had a litter of pups but are unable to find them homes. The sire comes from line breeding background ( Shambo's Dark Shadow and Tequila's Joker being his granddad's). Both parents are good dogs. At first we tried to sell them but had little success. Now at nine months we are trying to give them away. I only want them to go to hunting homes as they are hunters. I have hunted them and they are better than their parents were at their age. Just woundering what I should do next. I didn't want to put a free ad out there but got to do something.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Trying to find Brittany Pups Homes - Need advice

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:57 pm

That is tough..

I wouldn't put a free tag on the pups at least ask something for them to make sure that people will at least cae enough not to just impulse take and then later dump them at a shelter

maybe contact the local brittany rescue and see if some one there can help

This is unfortunately what people do not plan on is when puppies don't sell

Have you done anything with them..Check cord work Bird work field intro sometimes you can find people that really do not want to start with a puppy but at least want a dog that shows desire for birds

Anyways Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Chuckarmandoo, Where are you located?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Why hunting homes only? We bred our dual champion to our show champion and had 7 puppies...we kept 2 to compete with, sold 3 to homes that hunt, and the last 2 went to just pet homes. We carefully vetted homes, but didn't care if they hunted, showed, field trialed or just wanted a pet. Good homes were our priority.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Karen, I tried that. The lady told me that they had just lost their brittany and they wanted another one. This was when they were 10 weeks old. Another long story short. She wanted me to take him back. So I did and gave her money back. This pup should not have gone to her but I figured it might be good company for her and her husdand .I was wrong and so was she. The pups doing fine and he is a clown. Dan

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Sorry Karen, didn't really ansewer your question. These pups are for hunting. I could just put them in the paper for free.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I don't feel that way Karen. I also want "good homes" but a situation that allows a dog to be all it could be is what I include in a good home. A walk to the corner isn't going to do it for most sporting breeds. I never have a litter unless I have deposits on 2/3rds of the pups ahead of time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Sharon wrote:I don't feel that way Karen. I also want "good homes" but a situation that allows a dog to be all it could be is what I include in a good home. A walk to the corner isn't going to do it for most sporting breeds. I never have a litter unless I have deposits on 2/3rds of the pups ahead of time.
How do you know how many 2/3 is before the breeding?
All of the pups we sold went to pet homes. Some of those folks also hunted with their dogs. Some even competed. The "pet only" homes were the ones where the dogs likely got the most exercise - "I am an active jogger/biker/runner/hiker etc. and would like a companion dog that will not hold me back." Hunting dog only homes sometimes didn't make the screening - dog in kennel for 10 mos. just doesn't cut it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:30 pm

slistoe wrote:
Sharon wrote:I don't feel that way Karen. I also want "good homes" but a situation that allows a dog to be all it could be is what I include in a good home. A walk to the corner isn't going to do it for most sporting breeds. I never have a litter unless I have deposits on 2/3rds of the pups ahead of time.
All of the pups we sold went to pet homes. Some of those folks also hunted with their dogs. Some even competed. The "pet only" homes were the ones where the dogs likely got the most exercise - "I am an active jogger/biker/runner/hiker etc. and would like a companion dog that will not hold me back." Hunting dog only homes sometimes didn't make the screening - dog in kennel for 10 mos. just doesn't cut it.
Pretty much what he said.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:38 pm

Knine, these pups are hunting. Craet trained. Yard work is comming along. Thay run big and recall easy. Not real steady yet but not putting much pressure on them. Took 2 of them to Montana the trip was short. Hunted them 3 days and they made huge improvments each day. I do work them on pigeons but most training is on wild birds, Chukars, Sharptail, Huns and Pheasant. I'm running them with e-collars and garmins,and thy're doing just fine. Guess I shouldn't have put the e-collar bit in there but all I can say is they know what it's for. Some of you have good advice. That's why I'm here. Thanks Dan.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Are they registered? AKC FDSB or both?

On Perfect pedigree you can make a pedigree of what the pups lineage is...That can also help to market the pups a bit more :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:09 pm

The litter is registered AKC.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:26 pm

I'd contact the brittany rescue in your area, but understand they may not be helpful (they might be though). They deal with breeders that have dogs like yours all the time. They don't particularly feel friendly when asked to "clean up the messes" from breeders. And I'm not trying to be an "bleep" here. Just trying to be realistic. Some rescues like our Vizsla rescue will try really hard to place dogs in hunting homes. It helps if you're willing to keep the dogs while they do the advertising. The plus to a rescue is that they probably have a waiting list of people interested in a younger dog (I know we do). And they do all the checking up on the homes and follow up.

How about your local brittany club? Maybe they could help you too. I would also post on all gundog type places and on craigslist. Get good pictures of the dogs and make sure to do a vet reference check and a home visit if possible. If/when listing on craigslist, don't mention you bred this litter - they do not allow breeders on the site. Just list one pup on the site - not multiples (since that will be the heads up that it's a litter you bred). Don't be so anxious to get rid of them that you neglect to do the home checks and vet checks - that does help insure a better start for them - it's not a guarantee, but at least it can give you some peace of mind.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Location? I'm guessin west or northwest?
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Oregon.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:29 pm

slistoe wrote:

Very intersting perspective. I'll think on that.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

solon

Post by solon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 am

You didn't say how hard you tried to market the pups. I would advise that you work at marketing them and NOT for free. People pay about $200 for neutered mutts at shelters. Your dogs have been home raised and started on birds. You need photos of pups pointing birds or even some short videos. Most digital cameras these days will take video. You need to get the info out in places like Gundog Central, Cover dog Trading Post, Upland Journal, etc.; all places where ads are free. I would give a pup to a friend or a person that was well vetted and you knew it would be a good placement, otherwise they should cost something. Advertising dogs for free can attract the wrong kind of buyer. You wouldn't want a pup to go to someone who would use it for practice for fighting dogs I am sure. Such people would be good liars about why they want the dog.
You may have an Oregon sporting web site or sporting publication that would reach bird hunters in your area. See if there is a Brittany board on the web. As advised above, get an image of their pedigree to include in your material.
Keep training them and market them as started dogs. Pointing birds, conditioned to gun fire, progress with obedience, etc. Now that they are this old and you have invested in training, they are becoming started dogs, which you should define well. There is a market for such dogs as many people don't want to put up with the puppy nonsense and they get a better idea what they are getting with the older pup. Contact some other Britt breeders in your area. PM me and I can give you a contact for someone in LaGrande.

This site has a free listing service-see the Breeders and Puppies link in the banner. I just checked, you don't seem to have a listing here in Oregon for Brittany pups as there were none.

Have you tried an ad here? http://nwsportsmanmag.com/

Or here? http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders-oregon/

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:30 am

Do you belong to the local brittany club in your area? If not, pony up the $30(+/-), join the club, get in touch with their breeder referral person and let them know you have AKC registerable puppies...email them a pedigree, and ask them if they'd send any potential buyers your way.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Karen wrote:Do you belong to the local brittany club in your area? If not, pony up the $30(+/-), join the club, get in touch with their breeder referral person and let them know you have AKC registerable puppies...email them a pedigree, and ask them if they'd send any potential buyers your way.
+1 on the regional club and the breeder referral person. Also use the gun dog breeders .com web site for an ad---you get 1 ad a year for free and it runs 60 days. You can attach pictures of pups and pedigree. You get a lot of people checking out the ads---On my puppy ad I had 346 people check out the ad in Nov. and a little over 50 people check out the ad in Dec. I've had very good luck selling pups thru this web site in the past. Good luck selling your pups.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I do belong to a pointing dog club. Just not really into it. Its a good club and a lot of the members have really excellent dogs that they compete with in different venues (AKC trails,HT and NSTRA). Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the club and my dogs do pretty good in their fun trials. They know the dilemma I'm in and are trying to find homes for my pups also. I really think its just hard times and if you don't have a lot of references and clientel its just not adviseable to have a litter of pups no matter what. My dame will probably be spayed in February after hunting season.
Thanks for your advice which I think is really good,
Dan

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:27 pm

chukarmandoo wrote:I do belong to a pointing dog club. Just not really into it. Its a good club and a lot of the members have really excellent dogs that they compete with in different venues (AKC trails,HT and NSTRA). Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the club and my dogs do pretty good in their fun trials. They know the dilemma I'm in and are trying to find homes for my pups also. I really think its just hard times and if you don't have a lot of references and clientel its just not adviseable to have a litter of pups no matter what. My dame will probably be spayed in February after hunting season.
Thanks for your advice which I think is really good,
Dan
This won't be a popular suggestion, but, have you considered donating a pup as a club fundraiser? Here, QU still raffles or auctions pups at banquets. Just a thought.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

winchester101

Post by winchester101 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:53 pm

HI just read your ad any pups left? thanks.

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:49 pm

I think 2 will be gone after this weekend. You can PM me for details. The list is short.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 am

You could contact Mark Fouts, the regional director of the RGS in Oregon. They could possibly auction them at a banquet or find a new owner for you. Contact info= rgsfouts@centurytel.net

Good luck
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

reba

Post by reba » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:34 am

WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED??????????

HOW OLD ARE THEY TODAY?

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:41 am

Reba, I'm in Portland, Oregon. Today they are 9 months and 2 days.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 am

chukarmandoo wrote:Reba, I'm in Portland, Oregon. Today they are 9 months and 2 days.
Ah. Been wondering where your out of. You may already have it but I'll PM you a local site. Fishing site with a very active hunting thred.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

reba

Post by reba » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 am

GOT IT!