Pigeons are gone

deseeker

Pigeons are gone

Post by deseeker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:16 pm

I've had my feral pigeons for about 8 months. I started out with 8 and was up to 17 because of young birds being hatched. They have always came back to the coup. The last 3 days they haven't went back inside the coop. They will fly over 4 or 5 times a day but won't re-enter or land on the coop. There is plenty of food and water inside. I've even put the bobs up so it is easier to get inside. Any ideas on getting them back inside or am I just out of luck---I need them now, because I've got a 7 month old pup that I want to work on pigeons. Thanks for any Ideas.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeons are gone

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Nothing you an do but wait. Something got in and scared them and it just depends how badly.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Maybe double check and besure the bedding is dry, and there are no ants wasps in the pen...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:08 pm

I've had a cooper hawk get into my feral pen twice. All the birds were out except one that got killed. I disposed of the hawk and they were backm in a few days. Also had an owl in another pen. Needless to say it had the pen all to itself. Took a few days for them to come back in also.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 am

I love when people admit to poaching......

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:59 am

Swagg wrote:I love when people admit to poaching......
I love when people assume.......

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:01 am

I took it as he threw the hawk out of the pen....

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:38 am

Doug, I will have a few squekers that can be weaned in a week or so. They are pure blood homers. You can have them to start your flock back up and train to home to your place. Also I have some "show" homers that is a diffrent breed all together, you can have some of them also. They are very heavy bodied birds with not much of a tail, they will only fly about 30 ft and then you can catch them and reuse them. I have been working young pups and flushers with them and they have worked pretty well.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:15 pm

phillipsgsp wrote:Doug, I will have a few squekers that can be weaned in a week or so. They are pure blood homers. You can have them to start your flock back up and train to home to your place. Also I have some "show" homers that is a diffrent breed all together, you can have some of them also. They are very heavy bodied birds with not much of a tail, they will only fly about 30 ft and then you can catch them and reuse them. I have been working young pups and flushers with them and they have worked pretty well.

Chad
Chad---
I'll probably take you up on the squekers. I don't think mine are coming back home. Yesterday they were across the road on my neighbor lady's roof(I could see the pigeon poop on her roof from the road). :roll: I'll pass on the show homers--I know the 7 month old(Star) would get to them before I could with my replaced knee. We're up to 5 roosters so far this season(in Washington Co.)---normally we have 30+ by now. It is really a bad year for phez around here--we aren't even seeing hens. Hope you are doing better down by you. I'll call you about the birds after Xmas. Doug