Pup not acting normal

Gertie

Pup not acting normal

Post by Gertie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:30 pm

So yesterday the pup got into a dead fish and ate it before I could get it from her. She seemed fine yesterday and last night but today she is really lethargic and has really gnarly looking loose stool. I'm worried she might have an obstruction or pancreatitis. I'm going to take her to the vet in the morning but am wondering if I should get her into emergency vet this evening?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup not acting normal

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 pm

She wouldn't be passing anything with an obstruction. The lethargy is troublesome. If she isn't drinking, she could be in trouble by morning.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:49 pm

That makes sense about the obstruction. She's been drinking quite a bit today. Should I wake her up periodically through the night and give her water?
'Gertie'

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:50 pm

I would take her in tonight if you have one available. It's the same price for my emergency vet as it is for the regular vet. So putting off the inevitable would be procrastination on my part....

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Gertie wrote:That makes sense about the obstruction. She's been drinking quite a bit today. Should I wake her up periodically through the night and give her water?
I would if you wait until morning. She may have a touch of food poisoning of some sort. Water, fat free broth, or very thin cooked cereal gruel every couple of hours should be fine. You'll likely be taking her out anyway.

Just for the record, an office call for most of my regular vets is half or less of AER cost.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm going to go buy a thermometer. If she's got a temperature she's going in tonight. Thanks guys.
'Gertie'

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Sounds like pup has a case of Garbage Gut http://www.petplace.com/dogs/garbage-to ... page1.aspx and yes if she is having a reaction I would get her into the vet
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Temp is normal and I got her to eat a little rice cooked in broth. We'll keep an eye on her tonight and get her in first thing in the morning. Thanks again.
'Gertie'

chukarmandoo

Post by chukarmandoo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:43 am

Gertie, being from Oregon I really watch my dogs around water. You said she ate a fish specifically a trout. I didn't think much about it when you first posted, but I'm wondering if she could have salmon poisoning. Usually it doesn't show up til the third day. I have been through this and its not good. All fish that have access to the ocean on the Westcoast can carry the parasite in their gills. I don't know if its only at certain times a year but you might check it out as soon as possible. Sorry to here she is sick. Dan

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:16 am

Go back and readcyour "pups are gross" thread where everyone thought it was cute and harmless for dogs in the PNW to consume raw fish. There's a link there for salmon poisoning.

Good luck.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:14 am

Here is shags link for the salmon poisoning that she posted over on your other post http://oregonvma.org/care-health/salmon ... ng-disease
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 am

Took her to the vet this morning. They did a fecal and we're waiting for test results but vet doubts it is the salmon disease. Apparently it is much more common closer to the coast than it is here. However, pup did have a slight fever and stool is definitely not normal. Vet gave her an iv (she was dehydrated) and an antibiotic and she'll be on a bland diet for a couple of days. Should hear back on the fecal this afternoon. I feel a lot better having taken her in. Thanks again for the responses.
'Gertie'

MTJoe

Post by MTJoe » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Do keep us updated and glad all is well so far!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Quick update. Pup is doing much better. Eating well on the bland diet, stools have firmed up and even wanted to play a little this afternoon. Tests came back negative for any parasites including the salmon disease. For all of you NW folks, that salmon disease is nothing to mess around with however, it is generally associated with Pacific slope rivers which is good for those of us on the east slope (but not unheard of east so keep that in mind). It looks like my dog just got a case of good old fashioned food poisoning. Still not good but better than some of the more scary alternatives. Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.
'Gertie'

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Glad to hear the pup is going to be OK.
Steve

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:03 am

That's good news! Glad she's doing better.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:02 am

Unfortunately with a bird dog, they will get into stuff out of your vision.

For the stuff within line of sight, the "leave it" command is useful. We use it with all of our mutts.

http://www.dog-obedience-training-revie ... ve-it.html

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:57 am

That is good news! As far as the "leave it" command goes. I use it too. Good command but when they have something in their mouth they want to eat, all mit does is make them walk slower and eat faster! Works better to call them over and get it. When I do that they come over like they'd really like me to see their trophy! Don't know if I told it or not. Ben and Duke was here while Glenn went elk hunting and Duke brough me a live mouse. All that was sticking out of his mouth was a tail!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Funny you should mention the 'leave it command'. I just started teaching 'off' (same thing) a couple days before the incident and tried to use it but we weren't even close on compliance. We'll keep working on it and hopefully be able to utilize it in the future.
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:23 pm

Might want to keep some peroxide handy at home and in your vehicle.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:42 pm

I have some both in the dog first aid kit and at home. I am assuming that you are referring to it's utilization to induce vomiting. What is the proper dosage for a 25-30 lb dog?
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Gertie wrote:I have some both in the dog first aid kit and at home. I am assuming that you are referring to it's utilization to induce vomiting. What is the proper dosage for a 25-30 lb dog?
Good for you, yes, and as much as it takes. :) I use about an ounce on my dogs and repeat in ten minutes if I think they deserve it. I tend to err on the high side because the only times I've needed it have been for rat poison ingestion.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if we run across a similar problem in the future.
'Gertie'

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Actually, I just looked it up in my Dog First Aid book and it recommends 1 tbls to the back of the mouth to induce vomiting and may be repeated in 5 min. if necessary. There is a warning that vomiting should not be induced if 1) Dog is unconscious 2) The ingested substance was caustic or corrosive 3) The object is sharp and could tear the esophagus or the stomach 4) It has been 3 hours since ingestion. That came from 'Field Guide to Dog First Aid by Randy Acker, DMV. That is the book my vet recommended I have in my first aid kit. I'm thinking if I ever had to induce vomiting a trip to the vet would be in order as well.
'Gertie'