Trail Cameras

Vman

Trail Cameras

Post by Vman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 am

I am planning on buying a trail camera. I know that Cuddeback is very good. But after looking at them, I see many other brands that seem to do the same thing. I know Cuddeback was the best 2-3 years ago. Are they still the best out there? I see Bushnell, Moultree, Wildlife, and now Leupold. Experiences anyone?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Trail Cameras

Post by ultracarry » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 am

I worked in the archery shop at a cabelas store (glendale az) and used and sold more cuddieback cameras than I could shake a stick at. In second I would say the bushnell and multree came in a tie for second. You just can't beT the trigger speed on cuddieback .

Also would like to try the primos with the no flash stuff. Might cut down on theft.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:17 am

I have all moultrie camerias and have no complaints at all with them!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:27 am

i have moultrie, stealthcam, and cuddieback.

i put the cuddieback in the most promising spots, its by far the best

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:39 am

I'd say cuddeback if you don't plan on using safe boxes to put them in. They now find it more profitable to change the configuration of their cams so you have to keep buying different boxes. For my money the Bushnell Trophy Cams are the way to go. Nice and compact with great options if you want to upgrade to Black LED's, high def video with sound, or just go basic. Takes great pics and very user friendly.

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:10 am

Have about 8 i40 Moultrie cams, have sent several back for bad LED screens and just quiting working after a couple weeks. The pics are great, even at night but seems to spook some of the deer from the shutter noise, don't think it has to do with the infrared flash but maybe. Have 2 Cuddies and they work half the time, we checked by placing a Moultrie next to it and it would have pics that the Cuddie did not. We just got 2 of the small Bushnell cams and they have worked great so far. Friend has 2 of the cheap Wildgame cams and have been in the field for 2 years straight with zero problems, just changing batteries every now and then.

With all that said I feel that it all depends on the batch you get, some function flawlessly and others have reoccuring issues. Picture quality on all except the Wildgame cams is excellent, not that their bad just not the level of the others. All seem to have great customer service for returning them and fixing or replacing them. Wish I had the coin to try a Reconyx but that just isn't going to happen.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:32 am

I really like using the Wildlife innovations brand. They are new but are hitting the market big time. They have a decent trigger speed and good quality pictures. I bought the cheap $50 one from walmart and was pleasantly suprised by the quality. They now have very nice no flash 10 MP ones if you want to go high quality but found that the $50-$100 do just fine out in the woods. The only thing that I dont think they would be good for is putting them right next to a trail. If I do that I mount it facing to the trail and up high facing down. that way you get them coming or going down the trail and have a longer time in the range. Cuddeback are really nice to but I think the others are starting to be better.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 am

Just a tip, anything higher than 8 MP is a waste of money as the human eye cannot process anything above that, just another selling point that companies try to get you to buy into. More $ for higher MP.