What's Your Rig like?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: What's Your Rig like?

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:23 am

GH, I like that! Mine is a '96 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Squirt got left in alone one thim and redecorated by ripping out the headliner. Now that that is done, they ride in crates! I have an '85 Ford Super 250 w/9.3 diesel. Don't use it though, for hunting. I can't imagine how you guy's taking diesel's hunting in freezing weather maqke out. Either? Generator to plug into? Just the glow plug?

I'm gonna steal GH's idea in the bacdk. Only room for one box there and one sideways in front of it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:09 pm

This is my first true rig, in being outfitted to transport and train out of. But I only got to use it for this past year, and now this truck is going to be used to tow our utility equipment. So there went that down the drain. :x

Image Image

This is my future rig in pieces. :D Definitely a downsize in vehicle, but the Jeep CRD has been getting a solid 30 mpg on the highway, so I can't complain about that. And I can get 2 wire crates in the back--but not much more. Then came the aluminum Owens dog box off of Craigslist. Yesterday we bought this aluminum ATV trailer off of Craigslist. The trailer is 50" x 13', so the plan is to chop it down and mount the dog box. We may mount a tongue box too or put a platform/drawer under the Owens for more storage, but we're not sure yet.

Image Image Image

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Why chop it down wems, the way it is you have room for a 4 wheeler in the future.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 am

I have a '94 F250 4X4 with a new Cannonball flatbed that I've had since I purchased it in 2000. "Whitey" has, and continues to still be a great truck. He's hauled humans and hounds to countless hunts. I recently bought my new pickup (2007 F150 King Ranch SuperCrew) and I love it. However, the only drawback is that when I drive my F150 and then get into my F250 flatbed it feels like you're driving/riding in a stagecoach. :lol:

I absolutely love my Owens Pro Series "Big T" dogbox with the 4 Seasons vents. TONS of top storage and can haul 4 dogs comfortably. I've been thinking about giving up a little top storage and having a rectangular water tank custom built and fitted in the top with a spicket plumbed out the front. We'll see...

Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 am

birddog1968 wrote:Why chop it down wems, the way it is you have room for a 4 wheeler in the future.....
I appreciate the input, but the times we've hauled our 4 wheeler and dogs simultaneously is slim and I'd just prefer to have something smaller and more maneuverable. If I do get in a pinch of needing both, I can still diconnect the gooseneck work trailer from the F250, and drive the ATV up into the truck bed or do tandem trailers with another trailer we have.
prairiefire wrote:I absolutely love my Owens Pro Series "Big T" dogbox with the 4 Seasons vents. TONS of top storage and can haul 4 dogs comfortably.
I wish they made that box taller. I'm sure they don't, because regular truck application would make it impossible to get into heightwise. But I think we're going to end up trading out our model for the taller one, and that extra top storage and the 2 doors sure would be nice.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:18 am

Wems,

Pay close atttention to the spring rating on that trailer,if you cut it down and it has 3500 pound springs,your dogs in their box will basically be riding an old fashioned buck board,Fine for short hops but I wouldn't plan on toting them acrossed a couple of states,it will beat their guts out and they will be sore............IMO.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 am

Wildweeds wrote:Wems,

Pay close atttention to the spring rating on that trailer,if you cut it down and it has 3500 pound springs,your dogs in their box will basically be riding an old fashioned buck board,Fine for short hops but I wouldn't plan on toting them acrossed a couple of states,it will beat their guts out and they will be sore............IMO.
Thanks Weeds for the input. The other half of the deck is going to become a trailer too. So the heavier torsion axle is going on the non-dog trailer, and the dog trailer will get a lighter one...something like 2000lb if my memory is worth a darn.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:45 am

I built the same rig ...My mistake was i put my dog doors facing the back...The dust from dirt roads swirled back right into the box even winter shields couldn't keep it out...Pour dogs had eye crusties and brown teeth :roll: If i ran fans it would help,sucking air from the top and pushing out ...If you cut the trailer to short you will have that problem and i would turn the doors to the side.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am

wems2371 wrote:
prairiefire wrote:I absolutely love my Owens Pro Series "Big T" dogbox with the 4 Seasons vents. TONS of top storage and can haul 4 dogs comfortably.
I wish they made that box taller. I'm sure they don't, because regular truck application would make it impossible to get into heightwise. But I think we're going to end up trading out our model for the taller one, and that extra top storage and the 2 doors sure would be nice.
Not sure what you mean Wems, why would taller be better?

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:50 am

My guess would be bending over each time you kennel a dog or get it out is a pain in the back.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am

Yeah, that's the first thing the husband said, was to put the doors to the side for dust. And taller compartments, since I have a 26" dog who proved it's a real struggle for her to get in and out of an 18" tall compartment.

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 am

That 18'' height is perfect...The dog has to lay down and relax ... If its to big the dog will always sits up and stress itself rearing to get out.
Good luck with your rig...Keep posting

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 am

"smaller and more maneuverable."

The shorter the more of a PITA it is to back up.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:17 pm

They make axles of all shapes and sizes,If memory serves me correctly there is one rated for 1000 pounds,which if it was only dogs and a few coolers would be the red hot ticket,if hubby is handy you could swingarm airspring it for a cushy ride.It's relatively easy to do.Torsion axles provide the roughest ride IMO and they are easy to bend spindles on in a tandem setup.This is a non issue for your setup however if you have a tandem trailer be it horse or RV and you've got a tire or two wearing funny or one that seems to always blowout....................9 times out of ten............. the spindle is bent.
wems2371 wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:Wems,

Thanks Weeds for the input. The other half of the deck is going to become a trailer too. So the heavier torsion axle is going on the non-dog trailer, and the dog trailer will get a lighter one...something like 2000lb if my memory is worth a darn.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Wildweeds wrote:They make axles of all shapes and sizes,If memory serves me correctly there is one rated for 1000 pounds,which if it was only dogs and a few coolers would be the red hot ticket,if hubby is handy you could swingarm airspring it for a cushy ride.It's relatively easy to do.Torsion axles provide the roughest ride IMO and they are easy to bend spindles on in a tandem setup.This is a non issue for your setup however if you have a tandem trailer be it horse or RV and you've got a tire or two wearing funny or one that seems to always blowout....................9 times out of ten............. the spindle is bent.
Thanks Weeds! Husband had been talking about a 2000 lb axle, because he'd been working on a plan with our welder/trailer builder friend for a heavier steel trailer. Then this aluminum trailer came along. The friend said to jump on it, because it was going to be about the same price just in materials to build the smaller steel trailer. They haven't revisited the axle idea, but my husband says he'll definitely have to look back into that, now that you mention it. Will check out the swingarm airspring too.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 pm

wems2371 wrote:
Wildweeds wrote:They make axles of all shapes and sizes,If memory serves me correctly there is one rated for 1000 pounds,which if it was only dogs and a few coolers would be the red hot ticket,if hubby is handy you could swingarm airspring it for a cushy ride.It's relatively easy to do.Torsion axles provide the roughest ride IMO and they are easy to bend spindles on in a tandem setup.This is a non issue for your setup however if you have a tandem trailer be it horse or RV and you've got a tire or two wearing funny or one that seems to always blowout....................9 times out of ten............. the spindle is bent.
Thanks Weeds! Husband had been talking about a 2000 lb axle, because he'd been working on a plan with our welder/trailer builder friend for a heavier steel trailer. Then this aluminum trailer came along. The friend said to jump on it, because it was going to be about the same price just in materials to build the smaller steel trailer. They haven't revisited the axle idea, but my husband says he'll definitely have to look back into that, now that you mention it. Will check out the swingarm airspring too.
That will be a nice little set up when done, heck you could add a couple more dogs... two in crates in the Jeep and two in the trailer! Man I have such good ideas!

But seriously 30mpg with the Liberty?

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:31 pm

No way you are getting 30mpg with a liberty pulling anything unless you have a diesel one. My liberty getts 22-24 hwy by its self but even with a puny 4x8 with less than 400lbs on it drops that milage down to 14-15 mpg. With my lawn equipment and the 6x12 (roughly about 2k lbs) is getts 10-12 mpg.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:28 pm

phoenix wrote:No way you are getting 30mpg with a liberty pulling anything unless you have a diesel one. My liberty getts 22-24 hwy by its self but even with a puny 4x8 with less than 400lbs on it drops that milage down to 14-15 mpg. With my lawn equipment and the 6x12 (roughly about 2k lbs) is getts 10-12 mpg.
A Liberty CRD is a diesel model. 30 Mpg is not towing. I can't find the photo at the moment, but we drove our VW Golf down to Chatanooga, TN to pick the Jeep up. We then towed the car home on a u-haul dolly, and the Jeep got 24-25 miles towing, and I'm guessing that would have been around 3000 lbs. So hopefully it won't drop much with just an aluminum 4' x 6' dog trailer behind it.

That diesel F250 that I put a picture up of, gets 12 mpg hauling a 4000 lb Ditch Witch 410sx and a 18' gooseneck loaded with wire and tools, coming in around 7-8 ton for the outfit. :D

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:33 pm

She said It was a Liberty CRD..so I assume it is a diesel.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:08 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:She said It was a Liberty CRD..so I assume it is a diesel.

Thanks for posting the obvious AFTER wems cleared it up, thanks for babysitting!!!! Wems, I just missed it in the origonal post. I wish my libby was deisel! Thats cool that it does so well on gas! A keeper for sure! I doubt that the tiny trailer will cost you more than a couple mpg with a deisel towing it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 pm

phoenix wrote:
postoakshorthairs wrote:She said It was a Liberty CRD..so I assume it is a diesel.

Thanks for posting the obvious AFTER wems cleared it up, thanks for babysitting!!!!
:roll:

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:30 pm

phoenix wrote:

Thanks for posting the obvious AFTER wems cleared it up, thanks for babysitting!!!! Wems, I just missed it in the origonal post. I wish my libby was deisel! Thats cool that it does so well on gas! A keeper for sure! I doubt that the tiny trailer will cost you more than a couple mpg with a deisel towing it.
Thanks for being a condescending jerk! I posted it when she hadn't responded and mine posted after hers. :evil: If you would have read her post in the first place you coulda saved two posts that you came off like a child...maybe you do need a babysitter. :roll:

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 pm

this is how we roll

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:34 pm

DSC04011.JPG
I installed "gun racks" on the dog box and they have become a standard for me for many years. Vests hang nicely there also when taking a break.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

hustonmc wrote:this is how we roll
Mountain Top I presume?

Here is mine:

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Heres my RIG>. 2008 GMC Sierra.. Owens 3 hole dog box.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:35 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:
phoenix wrote:

Thanks for being a condescending jerk! I posted it when she hadn't responded and mine posted after hers. :evil: If you would have read her post in the first place you coulda saved two posts that you came off like a child...maybe you do need a babysitter. :roll:

Maybe you should mind your on business instead of playing internet nannie. I am sure, and she proved this by HER reply, that she is quite capeable of her own replies. As far as the condecending jerk I feel the EXACT SAME ABOUT YOU, hence my reply!

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Maybe you should mind your on business instead of playing internet nannie. I am sure, and she proved this by HER reply, that she is quite capeable of her own replies. As far as the condecending jerk I feel the EXACT SAME ABOUT YOU, hence my reply!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm not gonna keep arguing with you...it's just not worth it. As I said before, I wasn't posting for her or even trying to be sarcastic. I posted that I assumed the D in CRD meant it was a diesel ( not familiar with the product thats why I said "I assume"). Her post beat mine to the board...simple as that. As far as "minding my own business"... It's a public forum so if you don't want anyone to respond to your posts you can send them in a PM.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Image Have you all beat, 08 Hyundai Accent

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Winchey wrote:Image Have you all beat, 08 Hyundai Accent
Did it come with a complimentary bag of rice. :P jk jk
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:48 pm

that picture is awesome

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Chukar12 wrote:that picture is awesome
Agreed! Whatever it takes to get ya there.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:22 pm

My first "rig" was a Plymouth Horizon with a two dog box in the back shaped to fit the hatch back, with about an inch to spare. Whatever gets you out there to the out there!
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Wildweeds wrote:I used to build horse trailers for a living so the easist thing for me to do to get what I wanted................ build it Image ImageImageImage
Wow, great stuff.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:55 pm

My 2006 Jeep LJ.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 pm

I went and picked up my new custom built box a couple weeks ago. Thought I'd show it off a little. :mrgreen:

Aluminum 46" x 46"
2 Hole - capable of holding 4 dogs.
Fully Insulated.
Top Storage.
Rigging Rack.
6 Gallon Water Tank. (built into the top storage to keep water cooler in the summer and from freezing as easily in the winter)

Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

homestead setters

Post by homestead setters » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 pm

My boys and I hunt out of my 1997 Ford F-150 extended cab 4x4 with a 2 hole houndsman deluxe dog box with top storage and a deep well tool box for storage. Also have strapped a utv gun sleeve to the back of the bucket seats to hold 2 guns and other things like shells in the multitude of pockets on it. Makes the guns and other supplies easily accessible. We are going to Kansas next year so I am going to have a 4 hole dog box with top storage made to mount on the front of my 5 x 12 trailer and still have room for a 4- wheeler, coolers, etc.

pointer

Post by pointer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm

This is how I roll.

Ford FX4 F-150 with 360 H.P. and 18 mpg while towing the dog trailer. I can take 9 dogs and have storage on both the trailer and 3 hole dog box. Around home, I only use the truck and 3 hole box for training and hunting. My business partner has a F-250 with a 6 hole crow creek topper and 8 foot roll out bed and 4 hole trailer. If we take both rigs, we can take 19 dogs and more gear than a group of guys need.

Here is a picture of the rig on a grouse hunt this fall.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Winchey wrote:Image Have you all beat, 08 Hyundai Accent
Thats great, i just took my Chevy aveo for my trip to Kansas, maybe one day i will be able to afford one of those nice rigs but until then at least i get good gas mileage :D

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:37 am

Hustonmc, were you able to get your dogbox locally, or did you drive back east to pick it up? We looked at a Mountaintop unit last year, but decided the trip was too long to be realistic, and opted for a different setup. Now we're in an Expedition with a platform in the back, crates above it and drawers below. I love driving the expedition, but have been driving a half or 3/4 ton for the past 30 years and I kind of miss it.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:32 pm

3/4 ton 4wd 2000 model chevy silverado with a 6.0 gas motor with a Predator tuner program installed. Not the best on gas but doesn't lack power to pull and don't have to worry about getting stuck either.

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Rig for hunting hogs.

Fits Gunner(s), 2 Drahthaars and 1 Bulldog, as seen.

'Late season birds will not hold for a dog that is less than 200 yards from the handler'
-Slistoe 12-26-12

onpointgun

Post by onpointgun » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Here is my trailer.

Blue Dawn Kennel

Post by Blue Dawn Kennel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 pm

We have pulled a 30' aluminum gooseneck 4 Star trailer for probably 10-15 yrs. We just bought a new 2013 Twister 32' long stock/combo trailer. It'll have 12' living quarters,9' dog area and a 11' straight horse box. We pull this with a 07 GMC Topkick. I'll try to post pic later or pull from my FB page. Our last 4 Star trailer is probably on equipment to be sold (which we've sold). We love our rigs but of course we are pro's so do need that bigger rig as to amateurs and someone just getting into the dogs. I've seen alot of nice truck's, trailers, and rigs posted on this thread. Good luck to everyone and lots of success for you and your dog(s).
BDK'S Kessie's Sin City Casino~http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1270
BDK's All That Jazz~ http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=5853
BDK's Try Your Luck~ http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=5854
"Home of 60 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TITLES (wins & runner ups) & Many Many Field Champions"

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:01 am

Fir hunting & dog training, I drive a '98 - 4runner (with the TRD Supercharger).
For camping at the pond, we sleep in a 12' Aliner trailer.
Both are camo'd in Camo Clad.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Doc,

I can read your post but the vehicle and trailer I can not see them in the pics.....

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:57 pm

I can see the pimped out Gold rims and white propane bottle.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 am

Doc,

Have you ever lost your rig in the woods? :D
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 pm

My first rig. 1974 Ford Maverick 2 door.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:36 pm