Pleasant Blast from the Past

Bird Dog 67

Pleasant Blast from the Past

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:23 am

Today I tried a new Loyall dealer (feed store) that is about 24 miles away from where I live. I had never been there before nor had I talked to anybody that had. I had been feeding Kent pork based food but due to the limited availability in my area I had to switch. Long story short, I walk into the store, pick up my bag of food and chit chat with the lady while she hand wrote the invoice which included a $5 coupon that I had given her. Once finished she gave me the total and I pulled out my debit card. "Sorry we don't do those. Just cash or check. Don't worry though if you don't have either on hand you can just mail it to me."

Well, you could've knocked me over with the proverbial feather as I had not had that said to me since I was growing up in rural are here in WI. She went on to say, "You could say that I'm the trusting type, I just need your phone number." No ID, no verification of any kind. Just a hand shake and a smile. She then went on to say that seeing as I travel a bit to get to the store if their hours didn't match what I was available for to pick up food to "Just give me a call and I'll leave your order sit around by the side door. Or depending on where you live in Eau Claire we have a bag route over in that direction we could possibly set something up."

Then to top it off after she had seen my Weim looking intently out of the truck window, she went to the pet treat display and grabbed a pigs ear for Cash. Well we chatted a while longer and I left and immediately stopped at the gas station a mile up the road, hit the ATM up, and went right back to pay the bill. I offered her an additional $5 to take the coupon total off and she declined. I then asked her to take it and put it towards some pig ears for others that stopped in.

Not that this is the most amazing story in the world but to me it was one that I just don't see or hear about very often anymore and thought I'd share. Thanks for reading!

Stoneface

Re: Pleasant Blast from the Past

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:04 pm

That is a wonderful story. Best story I've heard in awhile. I'm only 25 so I never knew people like that back in the day. I was born in California and my mentality was conditioned to think "this is mine, that is your's, that's it!" I live in Missouri now and, oddly enough, people around here seem to act that same way. I think I'm moving to Wisconsin!

When we first moved here I applied to AT&T and was hired. They told me I was just waiting for the next incoming recruitment group to be transitioned into the company and that would only take about seven months. But, I was hired. What a gyp! Then, a couple of months ago I went to a little country town to apply for a few jobs that had opened up. When I got there I handed them my resume (what's the point in a resume, by the way, when you've got to fill out an appication?) they kindly looked confused and handed it back to me with a packet - the application - that required everything from 15 years' work experience to an agreement to let them draw my credit report. I've been told that years ago you would roll up to a place, talk to the owner, shake his hand and you had a job. Today you have to undergo a CIA investigation just to start work at the local filling station.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Stoneface wrote: When I got there I handed them my resume (what's the point in a resume, by the way, when you've got to fill out an appication?) they kindly looked confused and handed it back to me with a packet - the application - that required everything from 15 years' work experience to an agreement to let them draw my credit report. I've been told that years ago you would roll up to a place, talk to the owner, shake his hand and you had a job. Today you have to undergo a CIA investigation just to start work at the local filling station.
I completely agree. That works so well. You can make up whatever bullcrap story you want about your past. We have 20 million people here in our country illegally to prove how well it works. :evil:

I guess as long as you vote democrat doesn't matter what your work history or past. :D

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:59 pm

I doubt those 20 million illegals that are working here in the states are fooling their employers. Got a feeling that Jose and Miguel, who probably never had an interview and have to talk to the owner through their bilingual supervisor, are not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

If you are hiring for a bank or law enforcement, then it's probably a good idea to go the extra mile. But, if you're a tile manufacturer or utility cooperative, why do you need to have a 150-page application, federal background check and credit check? If you don't want to hire an illegal then when they're in there for an interview hand them an english book and ask them to read a paragraph. It's not that hard to spot illegals.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle