Breeding: Pedigree, dog or both?

Stoneface

Breeding: Pedigree, dog or both?

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 pm

In another thread there's a debate going on of the value of breeding the dog vs. the pedigree. I've never personally heard anyone say they choose breeders based on pedigree alone, but the majority of people will say they either have to approve of both the pedigree and the dog, while others say they don't care a thing about the pedigree and just look at the dog.

When you look to dogs for breeding, what do you concentrate on, the pedigree, the dog or both? Why?
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

bigsugar

Re: Breeding: Pedigree, dog or both?

Post by bigsugar » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:49 pm

What do you focus on Rowdy?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 pm

I focus on asking the breeders questions because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to breeding... haven't bred yet. This is just field research. :)

What do you focus on?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:01 pm

We're not breeders. I can't answer your question. :?

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 am

I focus on both.

I'm stud shopping right now for one of my bitches. When I was at our Championship at the beginning of this month I looked at quite a few dogs. I looked at the dogs first and then at the pedigrees. Well lo and behold the ones at the top of my list were either sired or grand sired by my bitch's sire :( Guess I know what I like!! I know I can't go too tight.

One of the reasons to look at pedigrees and to know your dog's pedigree is because of hidden health issues or conformation issues. You don't want to double up on some things!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

sckwest1

Post by sckwest1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:02 am

I agree you focus on both. There are some crosses that are proven such as Miller to GoBoy or Honkytonk to Elhew to name just a few. Once you decide on the cross you like the next step is to pick good individuals from the bloodlines. When breeding it is obvious that the goal is to produce good dogs. The question is what can you do to stack the odds in your favor.

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:58 am

Both dog and pedigree. And what the mate will bring in the form of qualities that will compliment your dogs qualities and push back faults.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:59 am

When making a breeding the pedigree should come first and foremost with a long term plan. You would obviously want both but it should start with the pedigree and an honest, objective evaluation of your female and what (if applicable) she has produced thus far. All in hopes of improving what you already have (ie patching holes and re-inforcing strenths).
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:18 am

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Well lo and behold the ones at the top of my list were either sired or grand sired by my bitch's sire Guess I know what I like!! I know I can't go too tight.
Since I breed pointers that would be a good thing (unless it's Blackhawk). I prefer linebreeding and outcrossing when necessary.
bigsugar wrote:We're not breeders. I can't answer your question. :?
You know how to breed dogs.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:26 am

I will be breeding my first litter this year and I chose a dog that has the attributes that I want to add in my female, it will be an outcross but both dogs are great bird dogs so I am not too worried about the results.

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:00 am

I just bought a pup based on sire and dam titles and their pedigree, and because I was looking for the specific pedigree in a chocolate package.

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Stoneface wrote:When you look to dogs for breeding, what do you concentrate on, the pedigree, the dog or both? Why?
Pedigree's are a wealth of information especially when you become more knowledgeable with your breed of choice. Pedigree's are also a great reference for not only health clearances but, knowing what titles are on both ends.

On the other hand the Sire and Dam and their traits are extremely important. In our breed (CBRs) temperament can be a real issue. Granted, socialization has to be considered however, if both the Sire and Dam are retrieving fools but turn into Cujo when a stranger approaches is this the type of pup you want to produce?

Both and I honestly wonder why some people don't consider both.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Just culls Ron. You know that. You have one of ours.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:I know I can't go too tight.
Do you mean you don't worry about going too tight because the tighter the better, or that you have to watch it and make sure you don't go too tight?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:59 pm

http://erinkennels.com/pedigrees/12.pdf

I this dog did alright for himself.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Stoneface wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote:I know I can't go too tight.
Do you mean you don't worry about going too tight because the tighter the better, or that you have to watch it and make sure you don't go too tight?
I have to watch it and make sure I don't go too tight.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Cherry, coming from a pure ignorance when it comes to breeding, can you say why you don't like to get too close? Everyone shouts inbreeding and linebreeding so much it would be nice to hear an opposing point of view.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Stoneface wrote:Cherry, coming from a pure ignorance when it comes to breeding, can you say why you don't like to get too close? Everyone shouts inbreeding and linebreeding so much it would be nice to hear an opposing point of view.
If I breed too tight I could end up with tuxedo (extreme white) fronts and white feet. I also show my dogs so I don't want any DQ's. I also know that there could be a chance of distichiasis which is a problem in the Weim breed.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:44 pm

bigsugar wrote:Just culls Ron. You know that. You have one of ours.
Jesse is coming along nicely Rhonda and thanks for the heartfelt letter. I felt bad taking her from you...you were so sad. She's a good fit at my place and she's got a good home. Good luck with your all-age expedition.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:46 pm

It is very easy to find the performance credentials on good dogs. What is not on the scoresheet is not so easy to "ferret" out. These are often the important issues. Was the dog tough to train? or normal? settle down early or late developer? reliable or on the edge? etc, etc....all these issues will very much affect how well folks will do with these dogs after they are sold. Titles and big scores are great but only the beginning...IMO.