Talk about Stupid Poor Ruby.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Talk about Stupid Poor Ruby.

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Today, I took Ruby and "C" out on a Ruff hunt today. It was tough. Birds no where to be found, Finally came into an area that had lots of Ruff Tracks on the snow as well as a ton of rabbit tracks. I hear Ruby's bell clanging away then stops, maybe 50 yards away or so then the beeper. I went and found her, there were Ruff Tracks and Bunny tracks all around these alders.. I see Ruby and she is still holding her point. I am figuring she some how got a Ruff or Bunny trapped behind the rock.
I have not been able to get a good Pic of Ruby working for Brenda. So this is my shot. Pulled out the cammera her tail drops and snap one. She stays still. I grab up the gun and move forward. Ruby lunges forward. and Comes back with snoot full of Porky quills.

This is Ruby pointing a Porky. I should have known and not been fantasizing. :oops: :oops: I had to sit on her and stuff my hand in her mouth to hold her still till I got them all out. Was not to bad, No eyes none in the nasal passages, mostly in her snout and couple in her mouth. Sorry Ruby. There is one less Porky now.

The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Talk about Stupid Poor Ruby.

Post by snips » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:53 pm

Poor Ruby!
brenda

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 pm

That stinks! I'm glad porkies aren't common in Iowa or I'm sure I'd have that problem too.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:48 am

Whaddy know, another German dog meets a porkie. It always seems to be the German dogs doesn't it?

I remember talking to a dog owner up in Massachusetts - she was a biologist who spent many many days in the field and always took her dogs with her. After a couple porkie encounters, she wanted to get her dogs aversion trained, but couldn't find anyone with a porkie and the knowledge to do the training. We talked about getting a "road kill" porkie, but I'm not sure she ever did anything with it.

We have quiet a few porkies in northern Az where we train in the summer. I'm going to have to figure something out...

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:00 am

AzDoggin wrote:Whaddy know, another German dog meets a porkie. It always seems to be the German dogs doesn't it?

I remember talking to a dog owner up in Massachusetts - she was a biologist who spent many many days in the field and always took her dogs with her. After a couple porkie encounters, she wanted to get her dogs aversion trained, but couldn't find anyone with a porkie and the knowledge to do the training. We talked about getting a "road kill" porkie, but I'm not sure she ever did anything with it.

We have quiet a few porkies in northern Az where we train in the summer. I'm going to have to figure something out...
If I were you I'd try and catch one, if you come across it, with an extra dog crate. Then brake the dogs on it like a snake :?:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:45 am

Rick,

I told my wife about this...a Gunner pup going after a porky and she said "Well, imagine that!".

Gunner was not perfect but he had NO FEAR indelibly imprinted in his DNA and it seems to be passed on to his pups.

Greg J

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:21 pm

You folks must have a lot of porcupine. I've hanging out in the bush since I was 5 and have never even seen a porupine nor seen one as road kill. Does Michigan have a lot of porcupines.? If yes, one would think they would be in Southern Ontario.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:47 am

Hey Greg:
It is kind of funny, looking at the Photo, her tail and eyes: She definitely was not sure about this critter but then that Gunner stuff must have kicked in.:wink:

Sharon: We are in Maine. We have a ton of these darn things. They eat on tree bark and clover and who knows what else.

Rick

Rick

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:42 pm

We've come to observe points pretty carefully. Generally you'll notice the dog's stance and intensity are off a bit. Lots of porkies & skunks in MN & ND. I've seen them in SW Ontario & S Manitoba as well. Hope you've got one of the good ones that avoids getting quilled again.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:11 am

Mark: I hope so too. I am thinking if the porky quills by them self do not deter her, maybe the memory of this 240 guy on her back with me putting her jowl and my hand in her mouth pulling quills will be enough to remember the experience in not such a fun light.

You are also right about the style of the point. You can see in the pic she was not sure about the whole thing. Unfortunately, I was not reading her and making this an opportunity for a pic. :roll: :oops:

Rick