Two Whistles

Deets

Two Whistles

Post by Deets » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:34 pm

I have noticed that I see alot of pictures of lanyards with two diffrent types of whistles on them. Is this for running two dogs. Can you have a specific whistle for each dog? Can a dog tell the diffrence between one whistle and another, and know that one whistle means for him/her to come here while another whistle is for some other dog? What happens if you sell the dog. Does the whistle go with? Just curious.

Big Dave

Re: Two Whistles

Post by Big Dave » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:51 pm

I use a small whistle that sends the dogs on, from the start after letting the dog out of the truck, on an unproductive point or when getting sticky. I will normally use a serious of short tweets. I use a large whistle to turn a dog or to call one back in, usually a long whistle rather than the short tweets used for the other purpose.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:43 am

Big Dave wrote:I use a small whistle that sends the dogs on, from the start after letting the dog out of the truck, on an unproductive point or when getting sticky. I will normally use a serious of short tweets. I use a large whistle to turn a dog or to call one back in, usually a long whistle rather than the short tweets used for the other purpose.
Similar use with us:

The pea whistle is all about handling: go out, change direction, etc.
The other is only for recall: when you hear two blasts on that you'd better get your derrière back here NOW.

The differences in the types of whistles and how they are used help keep their functions clear/separate.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:25 am

An old friend gave me a beautiful braided leather one with two clips for whistle's. I don't use a whistle anymore but I did back then. One clip helad a "Roy Gonia" with removable side plates and the other held the key's to the dog box's on my truck.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:40 am

Alot of folks have there own special uses, thoughts and ways with things (whistles included). I carry two whistles on my lanyard as well, but my reasoning is perhaps a little different....I primarily train, test, trial, hunt and guide in CO, NE, KS, ND, SD, MT....where it's cold...dang cold at times and whistles will freeze up from the moisture your breath puts into them (particularly if they have a "pea")....therefore my second whistle is nothing more than a "spare" for when the other one freezes up. If they both freeze up...it's time to put the dogs up, poor a whiskey, and sit by the fireplace instead. I carry multiple guns with me in case one has a failure for the same reason...it'd be a shame to ruin a potentially great outing because you were under prepared.
"Most certainly there are no things in this world can equal the love of God, Family, Friends and a great Bird Dog."
www.OutlawGundogs.com