Observations while on my Road Trip

Ken Lynch

Observations while on my Road Trip

Post by Ken Lynch » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:45 pm

I am currently on a road trip from NY going South West. I took a detour down to Louisiana and that is as far as I have gotten so far. However my observation is that in all my trips that I have taken over the years I have never seen as many dead dogs along the road side of the interstates that I have traveled as I have seen this trip. I come from an area where leash laws have been in effect since the seventies. Back then if I had a female dog in season I was guaranteed to have one or two male dogs camped outside the house. Because of the leash laws that is no longer the case. Free running dogs are no longer the norm. So far on this trip I have seen a pack of four house dogs feeding on a road kill deer in Virginia. In another state two dogs free running inside the fence along side of the interstate. I have seen a dead German Shepard, something that looked like a Corgi, many mixed breeds, and a Yellow Lab. Today alone on the short stretch from Mississippi to Louisiana I passed 6 dead dogs. Is this a sign of the current hard times or is it that people just do not care about their dogs
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

stlgsp

Re: Observations while on my Road Trip

Post by stlgsp » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:14 pm

"Is this a sign of the current hard times or is it that people just do not care about their dogs"

Probably some of both.

I'm not too far from heavily populated areas and this past year we've seen a huge rise in the number of dogs & cats that have been "taken for a ride to the country". There's a conservation area a mile from my house and have seen more dogs than ever dropped off in the parking lot, some are "kind" enough to leave the dog's bed or a blanket and a bag of food. Unfortunately many of the dogs end up wandering out on the road and get hit or they annoy the hunters enough and get shot. Hate to say it but IMO they'd be better off dropping them off at a shelter where they would be humanely put down.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:17 pm

People are dumping a lot of dogs. A friend has spent nearly a week trying to capture some little toy mix that is the last of four tossed out on a rural road. Two, one pregnant, were killed, one was captured and one remains at large. This is not uncommon since volume breeders have lost their market and face legal issues if they make it know they want to get rid of their dogs. I see pit bulls roaming the highway nearly every day en route to work. Another disturbing trend I've been noticing is the escape of rescue transport and foster dogs. A lot of people who don't know how to handle dogs are causing a lot of problems. No easy answer, here.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:59 am

Wow, I have seen a few more at the shelter these days but not a huge amount.

Got 2 cats hanging around the place tho, both huddle in a window for warmth. Wifes alergic so no cats inside, I been feeding them leftovers.

My pup comes out of the house and goes on point :) when she smells them cats.

Ken she is in heat so she is being kept apart from the big dogs, FYI.

Hope yer trip is a good one.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:11 pm

In all of the years I've been traveling on I-10 and I-20 through Mississippi and Louisiana I've always seen a lot of dead dogs along the road. I made my first trip through there in the 80's and that was one of my first observations. Lots of Walker Hound type dogs.

This year I actually saw less domestic dogs and quite a few more dead coyotes.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:In all of the years I've been traveling on I-10 and I-20 through Mississippi and Louisiana I've always seen a lot of dead dogs along the road. I made my first trip through there in the 80's and that was one of my first observations. Lots of Walker Hound type dogs.

This year I actually saw less domestic dogs and quite a few more dead coyotes.
I think some of the problem may be due to less highway maintenance. A friend and I have a bet on which dead coyote will last the longest on our respective routes to work. We figure the carcasses will remain (mine since early December) until winter weather warrants a snowplow.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.