Pigs' affect on wild quail numbers - a report.

Stoneface

Pigs' affect on wild quail numbers - a report.

Post by Stoneface » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:38 pm

www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigs' affect on wild quail numbers - a report.

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 am

I HATE feral hogs. Wish Missouri would make it illegal to hunt them, then we'd see a decrease in the number of "accidental" hogs that show up in Southern Missouri. Hogs are as bad or worse on the ecosystem than feral horses and snow geese. Nasty critters.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 am

That's interesting that Quail can contract Tularemia. In Central Oregon we have Jacks all over and I've always been told the winter months are the safest time if you ultimately had to eat one (yuck). I wonder what the odds are of a Quail actually contracting Tularemia?

RoostersMom, did you mean "LEGAL to hunt?" Have they actually outlawed hunting non-native vermin in your state?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am

Benny wrote:
RoostersMom, did you mean "LEGAL to hunt?" Have they actually outlawed hunting non-native vermin in your state?

I mean illegal. They are legal now, so every redneck in the state goes out there and brings/releases hogs so they can charge for "guided hunts." If they were illegal to hunt, there would be no "market" for releasing and hunting them. I think states that have made them illegal to hunt have had more success in controlling populations.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Feral hogs multiply rapidly. That cat is already out of the bag. I don't think not bringing them into the state is going to help. Just off the top of my head, you'd be better off trying to kill and trap as many of the rascals as possible.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm

If you have any question about the need to eradicate those things, do a little research on pseudorabies.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:37 pm

I plan to do my part this weekend to reduce the feral hog population of Oklahoma.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 pm

I don't think anyone is questioning the need to lower the numbers of feral hogs, just debating about how to best do it.

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm

RoostersMom wrote: I mean illegal. They are legal now, so every redneck in the state goes out there and brings/releases hogs so they can charge for "guided hunts." If they were illegal to hunt, there would be no "market" for releasing and hunting them. I think states that have made them illegal to hunt have had more success in controlling populations.
I see. That's a shame.
Are these "guided hunts" taking place on public lands?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:20 pm

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 pm

That's very interesting. So management is on your side but enforcement is weak in catching illegally released feral pigs on public lands?
This is a new topic, I think Oregon is still in the fun stages of feral pigs, although many are aware of the dangers of established populations (we have a few small populations) I think (I don't like to speak for others though) the general consensus is "what fun it would be to hunt them." Thanks for the information, I will now prefer that California keeps their piggies to themselves.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:40 pm

The TN approach sounds rational on the face of it. Landowners, family and 10 "designees" can kill hogs. Hunters deer hunting on WMAs can kill hogs. Otherwise, no hunting of them. IOW, take the profit out of it and make it expensive to get caught importing them.

Greg J.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:39 pm

They are really a problem here. Over the weekend a friend posted a picture on Facebook of a 250+ feral pig standing on the corner by the road to the housing addition she lives in. It's developed rural land, with large lots and people are not happy with the new neighbors.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 pm

Missouri considers them an "invasive species". They are very bad for the environment, very rough on the local ecosystem.

http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/invasi ... hogs-sight

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Now you can understand what our German Vdog brethren have to contend with!!! Hunting hogs is fun and they can be mighty tasty too. 4 feral hogs were shot near my camp in NY state last fall....escapees from an enclosed hunting preserve....there are still 15-20 on the lamb...there will be more soon.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:They are really a problem here. Over the weekend a friend posted a picture on Facebook of a 250+ feral pig standing on the corner by the road to the housing addition she lives in. It's developed rural land, with large lots and people are not happy with the new neighbors.
`

That is a perfect reason for allowing law abiding citizens to possess fully automatic weapons..... :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

"That is a perfect reason for allowing law abiding citizens to possess fully automatic weapons..... "

My dad, with too much time on his hands, has gone through the process and obtained a silenced .45 rifle for shooting hogs. The loudest part of the whole thing is the 300 or whatever grain bullet hitting the hog. As long as you don't hit one that starts squealing you can shoot a lot of em at one sitting. Doesn't matter though, IMO, you can't kill enough of em to matter, at least in Texas. They flew a large ranch here in the Texas Panhandle for a week and killed 800 of em. A buddy using dogs (Plott hounds) to hunt was catching hogs right after they got done. A 7500 acre tract in South Texas had 387 killed on the adjacent farm within three months. They didn't tell the biologist that flew the ranch that they had killed that many pigs expecting him to say something when he got done with the flight, he got off the helicopter and said there are more pigs than he had seen in ten years of flying the ranch, go kill pigs. It’s gunna take some disease to really stop em.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 pm

We had a local farmer who was in the early stages of alzheimers when his kids figured it out and sold off his pigs. the problem was that over a couple years time several had escaped. it took about 3 years of shoot on sight tactics to get to the point where we don't see them anymore..... we had alot of sausage there for a while.......

I keep hearing that there is a population of ferel pigs about an hour south of here but I dont know if there is any truth to that.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 pm

It's interesting to see the synergistic effect of the deer feeders are having on quail. Not only is there the aflatoxin issue, but they are attracting raccoons, skunk, feral hog that either prey upon on inflict disease upon quail.

-John

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:44 pm

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

asc

Post by asc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 pm

We have a hog problem here.. I shoot, trap, catch, and sometimes cut(castrate), mark, and release( to make a barr hog).
Most of the rank boars we shoot and let lay, or if I don't want to mess with dragging them out of a food plot, just gut shoot them. Once they are established you'll never be rid of them.
Do they eat good? Yes, if they aren't rank(hence castration) even old sows get rank.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:24 pm

I was sitting in the stand last month and I shot a coyote, after I went and got it I went by to my stand and looked down and there were 25 pigs underneath my feeder. I shot on amd the rest scattered, 20 seconds later about 15 of them start coming back, I picked out another one and dropped it. They scattered, about 30 seconds goes by and here come about 10 of them, I shoot one. The rest trot around on the field in front of me. I pick another one out and click....empty. Out of shells. They'll do anything to get back to the food source. Hopefully traps will become more and more common. A few friends of mine saw about 30 2 miles from Cowboys Stadium. You look at the surrounding area and it's amazing they came that far into the city. I read somewhere that by 2015 they will outnumber humans in Texas. No doubt they do a number on quail and their eggs. I bet if the state made it illegal to have guided or paid hog hunts, more would get shot because people would let others come out for free and shoot as many as they want.