heartworm question?

nitrex

heartworm question?

Post by nitrex » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:25 pm

I've seen many of the post on using Ivermectin and am really interested. One question I have is this; do you still test every year for heartworms? My vet will only perscribe heartguard if I get the yearly test. I know they say it is for the dogs safety, but I think it is more a liability issue and they are trying to protect themselves and their practice from being sued.

What do all of you do as far as yearly testing? Can you switch to the ivermectin at any time?

Thanks!!

Nitrex

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:51 pm

You can start it anytime providing your heartworm test is negative. You then give it orally once a month just like Heartguard. The vet still recommended an annual heartworm test, especially if your not going to keep the dog on Ivomec year round. One note about Ivomec, there is another formula called Ivomec Plus. DO NOT USE THIS! could prove harmful to dogs.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:01 am

I have given it 20 yrs and have not done a heartworm test in that long. But I keep them on it year round. Just make sure the dg is clear to start, as stated.
brenda

pear

Post by pear » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:34 am

The Vet who is not willing to prescribe without a yearly check, is protecting your dog as well his himself. If you start giving heartworm preventive to a dog that might already be infected, it could mean many problems and likely death. The preventative medicine of you choice will kill any existing heartworms, which in turn will clog the heart. Many advancements have been made and testing positive is not always a death sentence as it once was but the vet will know the proper dosage to slowly kill the worms allowing them to clear the system and save the dog. That is not a very scientific explanation but that is the long and the short of it in layman's terms. Bottom line is the test is not very expensive.... Do your best buddy a favor and have it before you start preventative. As to the yearly after you start, that would be a personal thing, and one I'd trust if you never miss a dosage, better safe than sorry, if your not sure. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:10 am

Thanks Pear! I have had my dogs on heartworm preventatives since they were young and I am religious about keeping them on a strict schedule. I wasn't trying to sound negative towards vets, they have to protect themselves in this sue happy world. I understand their need to make sure they provide the best care possible, at the same time, I sometimes feel that I get stuck with another fee everytime I visit their office. Thanks for the advice!

Nitrex

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:27 am

i picked up a stray fiest. my vet said she had a bad case of heart worms. he treated her with ivormec. he kept her quite for two days, iguess to allow the worms to dissolve. she has been fine since. get dosed monthly with ivormec.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:20 pm

snips wrote:I have given it 20 yrs and have not done a heartworm test in that long. But I keep them on it year round. Just make sure the dg is clear to start, as stated.
Same here, its so cheap, why stop and spend money on a blood test only to start again in a couple months.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season