Preserve bird shortage ?

gundogguy

Preserve bird shortage ?

Post by gundogguy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 pm

Game Bird Shortage

WARNING: SECURE YOUR GAME BIRDS FOR 2012!

MAJOR NATIONAL GAME BIRD SHORTAGE ...

Most people do not understand how the Gamebird industry works each year. Bird Breeders sell out of their birds in the Spring and take orders for the next years batch of birds that will be ready in the late summer and early fall. They then have to acquire the needed eggs and systematically hatch them out in batches to provide enough birds for the fall, winter and spring months. If you are smart, as a gamebird user, you will give a deposit and sign a contract for the number of birds you will use each year so that your bird breeder will then have to guarantee your birds. If you do not do this, your bird breeder has no GUARANTEE to supply your birds. THIS YEAR IT MAY REALLY MATTER!! Many bird breeders are already running out of birds for 2012!

We were advised by our large Midwest bird breeder that there is a major National Game Bird shortage trickling down from out west. I confirmed it with the MAGBHP and NAGA today, as well. This is true. The bad wild bird numbers had many western preserves in North and South Dakota buying up many of the Game Bird Breeders birds to supplement their wild birds in order to have decent hunts. Now these bird breeders are running low and contacting Midwestern bird breeders for birds and they are selling out quickly, as well. Everyone that "NEEDS" birds to run their business are paying good money for any Gamebirds that they can find nationally. This started with Pheasant out west, but is now trickling down to the Chukar, as well. Many pheasant preserves will be short and therefore the are now buying up all the out of Chukar to make up for the anticipated Spring shortages for their future hunts by supplementing mixed bird hunts and on and on.

This is a very big concern for professional bird dog trainers and preserves! Ideally every one who runs a business and need birds for hunting and/or training for hunts should secure your birds with deposits if you have not done so already. It may already be too late if you do not have your birds held with deposit and a contract. Those looking for birds who do not have them on hold with deposits/written contracts will find that the breeders may not have birds to cover their bird orders this year. If you do not have a bird supply on hold with deposits (as many require) you may find yourself trying to run a professional businesses without birds this year.

PRESERVES: This year's projections are that many will probably run our of birds early this year. Hunters wanting to go hunting with your dogs on Pheasant and/or Chukar should schedule your pheasant hunts early. There may not be any Pheasant left come late March and April.

PRO TRAINERS: SECURE YOUR ENTIRE 2012 SEASON'S BIRDS NOW! Professional Dog trainers will be out of business without gamebirds to train on. For that reason, although we usually sell our birds to the public, we will not be doing so this year. We need our birds to last all Winter, Spring and Summer until the bird breeders will refresh the supply again with their next year's batches in late summer. If we sell them, we will be out of business. All should probably do likewise.

COMPETITION EVENTS: This will affect all who plan to use birds this Winter, Spring and Summer. Anyone who is going to need Game Birds for events this year, should double check with their bird supplier that they will have birds. A better idea would recommend putting deposit and having contracts, because people will be paying a pretty penny for birds and they will be disappearing nationwide, if you do not have guaranteed birds on hold for you.

[/b]MAGBHP: http://www.michiganhuntingpreserves.com/ I just spoke with Jim Trinklein., President of Michigan Association of Gamebird Breeders and Hunting Preserves. He said McFarland (nation's largest gamebird breeder) is buying up any birds he can find from even small breeders and paying top dollar. This is something that has NEVER happened before on such a National Level. This is not a local shortage, but a NATIONAL shortage. Any available birds are usually disappearing as soon as they are found. NAGA confirmed this, too.

MICHIGAN: At least here in Michigan, another reason for the shortage besides some staying here instead of going west, is the MILD WINTER WEATHER. Many chose to stay in Michigan for the above reason and also some of the preserves are having the best year ever with the mild winter weather. Due to this many are not heading snowmobiling and cross county skiing for recreation. Many are choosing to stay and hunt birds on local preserves, instead of going west, too. Some preserves are selling more birds than ever and are having record bird sales so far this year for these reasons. This is a two-edged sword .... most did not think we would have such a great year (economy wise) and did not order enough birds to cover the increase in the bird sales. Therefore many breeders and local preserves will probably run out of birds earlier this year.

BIRDS FOR SALE: We usually sell game birds to the public, but due to this bird shortage, we have decided not to sell any this year, because it is more important that we wait it out and see if there will be enough for all of our hunts and year-round dog training that we do all winter, spring and summer. It seems prudent that everyone needs to look out for their own business interests first. In a nutshell, private owners trying to find training birds may not be so lucky this year. If you do find birds this may explain why bird prices may be higher, as well
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Southwind

Re: Preserve bird shortage ?

Post by Southwind » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:21 pm

I can believe it. The owner of the preserve I used to guide at in south central KS told me that all the big bird breeders in the mid west were sold out by mid november. Poor wild bird hatch forced a lot of wild bird outfitters to do an early release of pen raised birds.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Sounds like a good year to gear up again after my catastrophic loss of bird facilities a year ago due to fire. I cant wait to start hatching birds again this spring, hopefully demand outweighs production in my area (for selfish reasons of course)!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Haven't heard of shortages out here... A lot of breeders.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:26 pm

We are running short back east here....it didn't help that New Jersey pulled 3000+ birds to make up for what they lost in the storms early this past year.

Running short back here preserve wise, doesn't mean we don't have any birds right now, but we're not sure if our next 2000 birds will come thru or not, intact and complete........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 pm

Shortages here. Been looking for some training birds and both of the places I usually go to are out. Come on racing pigeons reproduce, we have a lot of training left to do.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:10 pm

crazyboy wrote:Shortages here. Been looking for some training birds and both of the places I usually go to are out. Come on racing pigeons reproduce, we have a lot of training left to do.
What part of Jersey you in? I could probably lay my hands on some Chukar and/or pigeons for you.........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Ordered 200 day old Bob White's yesterday. Be a couple months. .50 ea! Truth be known I'd much rather run my dogs on good flying Bonb's than on chukar or pheasant's. They taste just as good and cost a whole lot less. I can incubate about 100 at a time in my incubator so I'm gonna hold back a bunch to get more eggs for the next years birds.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Not a thing wrong with training with chukar, they eat better IMHO than quail and flying well is a better bet. That to me is worth a little extra cost.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Had to pay a deposit this summer for birds in November. Guy raised 30K quail and sold only to folks that put down deposits, we are in a bad drought though.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:53 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Not a thing wrong with training with chukar, they eat better IMHO than quail and flying well is a better bet. That to me is worth a little extra cost.
+1. Of course also JMO.

Shortages in my area also.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Sounds like a good rumor for a Bird Supplier to start..... :lol:
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:11 pm

I just want to know how North and South Dakota became the West? I mean I skipped a few geography classes but not that many lol

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:31 am

The guy I buy birds from got screwed last spring on some quail eggs due to the shotage. He placed his order, paid and never got his eggs. If I
Recall It took him 5 or 6 months to get his money back.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:48 am

birddog1968 wrote:
crazyboy wrote:Shortages here. Been looking for some training birds and both of the places I usually go to are out. Come on racing pigeons reproduce, we have a lot of training left to do.
What part of Jersey you in? I could probably lay my hands on some Chukar and/or pigeons for you.........
I'm in Ocean County, going to check a few more places.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Just bought my last load of chukars. my supplier has to cut me off,which is fine, he cannot find enough pheasants or chukars to finish the season.
Here in Michiganistan the preserve season is open till the end April. Game birds eggs will be quite the commodity this spring and early summer.

MTR

Post by MTR » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:21 am

Called a local preserve in SW Wisconsin to schedule a hunt. I had hunted there just before Christmas and they had great bird numbers in the pens. He said he could not get anymore birds for the season. Suppliers are all out. :x
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:03 pm

I have a feeling that this may be a stupid question but , but you don't have to agree with me :) What happened nationally to all the wild birds on preserves?

We only have grouse here in ON but.............
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:46 pm

went to the local preserve that I have been going to for years he told me he is going to be lucky to finish out the season. and has cancled all of his corporate tower shoots.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Sharon wrote:I have a feeling that this may be a stupid question but , but you don't have to agree with me :) What happened nationally to all the wild birds on preserves?

We only have grouse here in ON but.............

In my locale the wild quail disapeared back in the early to mid 80's but where on the decline since the 70's.....Preserves here have no wild birds, all release birds and there is just a shortage this year.....think they don't use pen birds in South Dakota :?: :lol: Once you realize they use a mess of pen birds in south dakota those 1.2 million bird harvest years make more sense..... :idea:

Then imagine a place like Mc Farland loosing a whole hatch or two.....wave spreads from there...
Last edited by birddog1968 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:57 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:went to the local preserve that I have been going to for years he told me he is going to be lucky to finish out the season. and has cancled all of his corporate tower shoots.

Jim
WOW that is serious! Mucho money lost on that deal depending size and number of canceled hunts hundreds of thousands of dollars in retail sales.
Sorry situation
hal :cry: :cry: