Briars vs. Clothes

leeave96

Briars vs. Clothes

Post by leeave96 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:25 pm

Don't know if this is the right forum - but I have a question about briars vs clothes.

What type of briar resistant clothes are you folks wearing when grouse hunting in dense brush/briars? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Bill

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: Briars vs. Clothes

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 pm

LL Bean, lightweight, light cordura-faced pants.
Light Bean shirt or a comparable Cabela's offering.
Light being the operative word.
Muliflowery and greenbriers are just part and parcel....don't sweat a scratch or twelve.
Too many suit up as if for the Crusades.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 pm

nikegundog wrote:Columbia Briarshun Pants
http://www.columbia.com/Men%27s-Briarsh ... lt,pd.html
+1

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:10 pm

Wrangler Ruslers! I also wear them to town, a good pair when I go out with a nice shirt, out to train, All I own are Wrangler Ruslers!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:18 pm

The Filson Tin Cloth or Cabela's Stonewall work best for me. I've hunted places where the thorns were so large and the brambles so thick it was like wading through a nest of barbed wire, and I came through unscathed. Wish I could say as much for the dog's ears... Columbia Briarshun is good too but not as water repellent.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:35 am

I have a pair of bibs from a brand called 'Mule" that is bulletproof. Got them for rabbitt hunting and they are outstanding. They were pricey but I've had them 8 years and they look brand new and will probably outlast me. They are warm so you can't wear them on the warmer days but I could crawl thru broken glass in them and not get scratched. if you interested google "mule brand" hunting clothes or something similar.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:52 am

Ive got a pair of LCS light weight chaps that are great for summer training and when the weather gets warm, but they wont stop the worst of the briars. For the nasty stuff and cooler weather I like my filson double tins. I like the double tins alot better for riding in too....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:07 am

There are only two articles of clothing that I have worn that will stop greenbrier and only one thing that will stop Russian(Autumn??) olive. Some of the places I hunted were fairly nasty. I used to carry a pair of pruning cutters in my gamebag in case I had to get to a dog on point, or get through something without backing out. I don't do that anymore. :D :lol: :D

Years ago I had a pair of leather faced pants by Red Head. The leather was about 3/16" thick and it woud stop a bullet (well #6 birdshot anyway). I do not think anything like them is available today. In more recent years, I have a pair of Wick bibs that will turn all but the nastiest stuff. Wick is also out of business. However a heavy duty set of 1000 denier cordura faced bibs over jeans should keep you from bleeding to death in the thick and nasty and they are flexible enough so that you can still move pretty well. I do not like Filson double tins personally because of how stiff they are, but I have heard that they are quite good at turning briars.

RayG

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:11 am

Filson briar and burr chaps Work very well in the thick stuff

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 pm

nj gsp wrote:The Filson Tin Cloth or Cabela's Stonewall work best for me. I've hunted places where the thorns were so large and the brambles so thick it was like wading through a nest of barbed wire, and I came through unscathed. Wish I could say as much for the dog's ears... Columbia Briarshun is good too but not as water repellent.
Pay the extra for the Filson chaps. The Cabela's ones have terrible snap buttons that always unsnap in the field. It's really annoying. If you're a tall guy, Cabela's has the Tall Filson Chaps on sale right now for $55.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Filson. Multi-flora rose can't even penetrate.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 pm

My first year with Filson chaps...fantastic and worth the cost. I'm 6 ft and was grateful for the tall version.

Eric

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Filson Brush pants #14026 best I have found and Upland Jacket 622 I have not found a place that anything gets to my skin yet and I have passed in some pretty nasty places. Mulitflora hedgerows, briar patches, green briar etc from Canada to the gulf coast Filson is my go to gear.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 am

DogNewbie wrote:
nj gsp wrote:The Filson Tin Cloth or Cabela's Stonewall work best for me. I've hunted places where the thorns were so large and the brambles so thick it was like wading through a nest of barbed wire, and I came through unscathed. Wish I could say as much for the dog's ears... Columbia Briarshun is good too but not as water repellent.
Pay the extra for the Filson chaps. The Cabela's ones have terrible snap buttons that always unsnap in the field. It's really annoying. If you're a tall guy, Cabela's has the Tall Filson Chaps on sale right now for $55.
I wasn't talking about the chaps, but I do have a pair of the Cabela's chaps you are talking about. Got them on sale for $40 a couple of years ago. I have not had an issue with them coming unsnapped - I'm assuming you mean the belt loop. You could always stitch the loops to your liking and then thread your belt through them if you wanted to get a little more use out of them.

But no question about it: Filson is better quality stuff, and made in the USA too. Can't beat that.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:04 am

nj gsp wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:
I wasn't talking about the chaps, but I do have a pair of the Cabela's chaps you are talking about. Got them on sale for $40 a couple of years ago. I have not had an issue with them coming unsnapped - I'm assuming you mean the belt loop. You could always stitch the loops to your liking and then thread your belt through them if you wanted to get a little more use out of them.

But no question about it: Filson is better quality stuff, and made in the USA too. Can't beat that.
Yeah, I don't know. I've had two pairs of those cabelas chaps and both came unsnapped consistently. I have tree trunks for thighs as well so maybe that had something to do with it, but after the second pair I saw the Filson ones on sale and grabbed those and haven't had any issues. Sewing is a good solution too if you don't mind taking your belt off everytime you put on or take off your chaps.

UplandJim

Post by UplandJim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 pm

I wear Double-Tin Filson bibs. They are without a doubt the best once you break them in. Which won't take long if you like to hunt :D

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:58 pm

UplandJim wrote:I wear Double-Tin Filson bibs. They are without a doubt the best once you break them in. Which won't take long if you like to hunt :D

Those bibs are badass!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

12Gauge

Post by 12Gauge » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:02 am

I use these. I love everything about them. We deal with lots of rain. They are very warm if it is warm out I wear a under armour heat gear base layer and I stay comfortable. Nothing should poke you through this stuff. Mine were given to me by a logger friend of mine.
Bibs
http://www.filson.com/products/oil-fini ... oduct=1011
Coat
http://www.filson.com/products/all-seas ... 10022.html