My pup eats his chew toys...

proudag08

My pup eats his chew toys...

Post by proudag08 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 am

i have a 4 moths old GSP pup and he eats every chew toy we give him. ANd not just like he get a piece every now and then... its like he chews an entire bulb off on side of the bone in an evening... We have tried nylabones... the tire products, we still have a Kn=ong to try and we have a femur bone to try...

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and how did you get around it? Do I just need to give my dog only chew toys he can eat... but then I worry about his nutrition and getting too much to eat.

Any help would be great! Here are some pictures since I haven't updated you guys in a while!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: My pup eats his chew toys...

Post by Karen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:56 am

Have you tried these nylabones?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00201 ... 00_details

We've had these for over a year now and they're still safe (or they were until the pups hid them somewhere....I can't find 7 bones!!).

Or the gallileo bones by Nylabone? I believe these are guaranteed for life.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:01 am

Man they are little gators at that age, aren't they?

Somewhat pricey, but Leerburg.com has dozens of chew toys designed for working dogs (German Sheps and Malinois). If they say they'll hold up, they will. Here's one example but there are lots more: http://leerburg.com/goughnuts.htm You just have to search around on the site or look through their catalog. They also see several "smart toys" - toys that have food inside that the dog has to figure out how to get to - similar to Kongs, just different configurations.

The Kong black products are the tough ones. Don't even mess with the red. Many of them have places for kibble or peanut butter you can put inside to add aroma.

I think it's fine to still use "edible" chewys on occasion - knuckle bones are excellent and they do take awhile. They can get pretty smelly if left in the house. We had a trail of ants once covering some that our mutt was working on - yes in the house.

The bottom line is that your pup will have to be 100% supervised or 100% contained until he's out of this stage. They will eat ANYTHING and it will cost you about a grand to get "anything" removed from his stomach if it was the wrong anything.

Very nice pup!!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 am

I have had success with PVC collars, elbows and joints that the dogs couldn't get stuck on their heads. However, a dog that chews that much on hard objects is eventually going to have enamel wear. Sounds like he needs another outlet for his energy. As far as natural chew products, beef knuckles are my go to.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 pm

I keep an eye on chewing sessions. If i see a "bulb" , I throw ir out. My dogs mostly get marrow bones. Super cheap at the butcher and very safe. Very unusual to chew a piece off.

Really nice pup :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:23 pm

That's a very cute puppy. +1 w/Sharon, or at least on taking away the chunks.

I have to throw out a stuffed toy every month that Emma tears open to get the squeeker. Start seeing stuffing around the house and stuck to her lips. Idle hands ya know.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm

have you tried moose sheds? the pet store by my house sells them and our 1 year old pup loves them as does are older one, there a really good source of vitamins and they take for ever to break down. and the dogs love them!!
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler