Gun shyness?

DuckSlayer

Gun shyness?

Post by DuckSlayer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:25 pm

i shot around my pup today the gun from maybe 30 yards away didnt bother her she just raised her ears and turned her head in wonderence. but when i would give her the release word she wouldnt just look at me then look at the bumper. after about 5 minutes of no gunshot she started retrieving just fine what do i do with the gunshot and no retrieve

brad27

Re: Gun shyness?

Post by brad27 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:45 pm

What training plan/method are you using?

DuckSlayer

Post by DuckSlayer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:50 pm

shes a choc lab i have pics posted but i have my girl friend shootin about 30 yards back and tell my dog to mark aqnd throw when its in the air my girlfriend shoots when it hits a give it a sec then release her but she wont release

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:43 am

Use a proper gun introduction program. You should be following one of the training programs like Fowl Dawgs currently available.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:33 am

how old is the pup? Put the gun away for now.....get her back to retrieving

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 am

+1 on put the gun away. She told you with ears and looking at you she was not ready. More retreiving, make it fun, get her excited, shoot 75 to 100 yards away with a 22. If there is NO reaction move closer 50 yrds. Just go slow and have fun. I am guessing she wont till next year anyway. Baby steps

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:18 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Use a proper gun introduction program. You should be following one of the training programs like Fowl Dawgs currently available.
This is what i was getting at.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 am

Duckslayer
I have read your posts and I highly suggest for your dogs sake that you find someone to show you what to do...I hope with a little hands on help it will help you a bunch as to what to do and help your dog be the dog you want.. :wink:

Your dog needs proper intro to some birds...build that excitement until then Put the gun and noise away..you will only further your dogs problems JMHO

Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:15 am

Duckslayer,

You have a nice looking lab! She's a pretty thing. You already asked a bunch of questions on here, the best one being, "where can I get help or learn more." There was a lot of good advice on that thread. IMO, you need to STOP what you're doing (bird/retrieving training) with the dog and use some of that advice. Find a mentor, find a training club - there are a ton in the Dallas Area. Here are just a few I got from Google. I'm not trying to sound bossy here, but you can really do some harm with the dog going down the path you're headed ......and if you listen to the advice given by others on here several times already and find a mentor or a training club....many good things will come from being involved with a club or a local trainer. Trying to "find out" if your dog is gunshy is a huge red flag on here and it just points out that you and your dog would really benefit from some hands on help with an experienced trainer. You'll learn a lot and your pup will reap the benefits for years to come.

Dallas, Texas

Lonestar Retriever Club
Sarah Krause
(972) 243-6380

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

DFW Hunting Retriever Association
Chuck Strange
817-453-9073

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Dallas Fort Worth Labrador Retriever Club, Inc.
Keri Schooler

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Big D Hunting Retriever Club
HRC , AKC, UKC Hunt Tests
Bart Hege (President)

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:58 am

kninebirddog wrote:Duckslayer
I have read your posts and I highly suggest for your dogs sake that you find someone to show you what to do...I hope with a little hands on help it will help you a bunch as to what to do and help your dog be the dog you want.. :wink:

Your dog needs proper intro to some birds...build that excitement until then Put the gun and noise away..you will only further your dogs problems JMHO

Good Luck
DITTO !!!!!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:51 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Use a proper gun introduction program. You should be following one of the training programs like Fowl Dawgs currently available.
Ditto! It's as simple as that.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way