Dog Doors

Pointers_31

Dog Doors

Post by Pointers_31 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:49 am

I am going to be re-doing my kennel this spring and am looking for recommendations on dog doors. I will be having indoor and outdoor runs, and would like to make sure that I can keep the heat in, during the winter and the heat out during the summer.

deseeker

Re: Dog Doors

Post by deseeker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:26 am

FYI--- Dog doors also work good for coons :lol: A friend of mine had a dog door that went from his mud room to his back yard---got up one morning and found a coon eating dog food in his mud room. Hope you have better luck then he did :!:

GSPlover

Post by GSPlover » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm

I use these from K9 Kondo. They are pricey, but they work great.

http://www.k-9kondo.com/products/Kennel-Door.html

Pointers_31

Post by Pointers_31 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:58 pm

I have been using those doors for only a couple years and I don't really like them. If they are the best out there I would use them again, but I would like to find something else.

I have never had a problem with raccoons or anything getting in a doghouse. It would take a pretty ballsy creature to climb a 6 foot kennel partially covered to go in a doghouse with a bird dog laying in it. Plus I don't very often have dog food in their food bowls. Most if my dogs gobble up their food as fast as it hits the bowl.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Pointers_31 wrote:I have been using those doors for only a couple years and I don't really like them. If they are the best out there I would use them again, but I would like to find something else.

I have never had a problem with raccoons or anything getting in a doghouse. It would take a pretty ballsy creature to climb a 6 foot kennel partially covered to go in a doghouse with a bird dog laying in it. Plus I don't very often have dog food in their food bowls. Most if my dogs gobble up their food as fast as it hits the bowl.
When I did my kennel project this last spring, I purchased the K-9 Kondo doors. Not only are they loud (unless you like the sound of banging galvenized metal) I was disappointed when the rubber bushings went south (or fell out) after only a couple months of use. I contacted K9 Kondo, and the lady made me feel as if I was holding them up by asking for replacement bushings. She informed me that that is NOT COVERED in their warranty. (Just a heads up before you buy) In the end, they sent me replacement bushings but made sure to let me know that this was a "One time only" act of kindness and from now on they were going to cost me. :roll:

Look for my K-9 Kondo doors in the classified section this summer. I will be most likely replacing them with Gundog House Doors. (Which I recently installed one in my mudroom) - Although, they are not without fault either.... The thick Lexan "Flap" makes a loud and child wakening "SMACK!" everytime a dog goes in and out. Just an FYI - However they are MUCH more airtight/sealed than the K9 Kondo doors.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"