Predator hunters...

dog dr

Predator hunters...

Post by dog dr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Im looking at a new Foxpro Spitfire. Anybody use one?? what do you think?

Benny

Re: Predator hunters...

Post by Benny » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 pm

High tech!
I'm too poor to own one, but I watched the beauty of one from a friends ranch last summer. We were really hunting sage rats, but as the sun set, the ranch hand brought out his foxpro (I have no idea what model) and we were into 'em in minutes! It was nice that we could set it 100 yards out and adjacent to the wind so there were no give-aways.

If you have the extra cash I believe it is money well spent. I'm just trying to further my knowledge of open reed calls for now :D
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

trigger1989

Post by trigger1989 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Go on eBay or try and find the hard cover cabelas 2011 catalog. They will honor the misprinted price until the 2012 catalog comes out which should be soon. they have the wild fire which is the next step up. Usually 299.99 printed for 229.99 well worth the extra money

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I make custom open and closed rees calls but always carry my Foxpro Fury along. In the east stands can last for well over an hour and that is way to long to be blowing on the hand calls for me. The Spitfire is a great unit, started out with it and moved up to the Fury when I found a deal on a once used unit.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 am

trigger1989 wrote:Go on eBay or try and find the hard cover cabelas 2011 catalog. They will honor the misprinted price until the 2012 catalog comes out which should be soon. they have the wild fire which is the next step up. Usually 299.99 printed for 229.99 well worth the extra money
Off topic but I ordered an upland coat from Orvis a few years back...I was looking online for a vest or something....The coat was listed at $45 on their website as a sale price. Figured that was wrong since that's what they usually charge for a pair of socks but for $45 what the heck...I'd get one as my previous one was showing some wear and the zipper was real difficult.. Turns out it (the online price) was wrong, the next day it was changed to $425 or something like that. They honored the sale which surprised me a bit and I've always respected them for that. I thought I might get an email saying that the price was a typo (which it obviously was). For $45 it was (and is) a great coat but without that error it would never be hanging in my closet. The one it replaced was bought on ebay used for $25.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 am

I have a Minaska I'd sell ya. Check em out online and let me know. I have the Bandit.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 am

Nice call.
I used to hide the call in cabelas and play it occasionally by remote to annoy the people up stairs when I worked there. Pretty expensive but well worth the price. No field expierence though.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I've used the spitfire for work and haven't been very impressed. If you turn it up to max volume there is a lot of distortion especially if you're using a call with lower tones. It also eats batteries real quick. We were hoping to use it as a light-weight alternative to the NX3 but wound up using the NX3s anyway (we love that unit). The NX3 also has an alternative gel cell battery that is re-chargeable. It's kinda heavy but if you're operating from a rig it shouldn't be a big deal. Just my two cents.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

cabelas has em now for 199.00.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Gertie wrote:I've used the spitfire for work
I would like your job :D

I did notice the higher volumes were slightly AM radio sounding. We turned it down a bit and ranged the call farther towards the edge of the alfalfa and had good results.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

High Brass

Post by High Brass » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Hey Dog Dr.
Noticed new Spitfires on E-Bay the other day for only $169.95 buy it now. Thats a pretty good price.

Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm

We used one on bobcats in North Missouri this year. It was a very nice setup - went through batteries like crazy though. Had some great crow sounds. I really like the remote capabilities!

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

My friend has that fox pro , it's really not that loud. I have the http://www.wildlifecallers.com/store/el ... ounds.html . Sounds awesome but is a lot of money.I bought it to call in bobcats, always getting busted with my mouth calls.

If your just calling in coyotes you can't go wrong with the standard criter call or one of Les Johnson's. Both really good calls,I've called a lot yotes with those mouth calls. Hope that helps and good luck.
http://www.critrcall.com/page/1r8a6/Pro ... Calls.html
http://predatorquest.com/web/products/calls/
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 am

i bought the foxpro scorpion at midway usa clearance section on their website. 529.00 regular price got it for 349.00 It came downloaded with 100 sounds and had the capacity for 100 more. It was a nice unit but i used only once and swapped it for a rifle.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Have a minaska bandit and love it. Batteries last long time, light and small easy to carry.

redneck47441

Post by redneck47441 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:28 am

Me and my hunting buddy have had great success with both of ours. Sound selection is key!

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:18 pm

I used a lot of the different fox pros. I think that spit fire works for me just as well as the others. I hunt in eastern oklahoma though it not real wide open, So I dont need a lot of distance.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:28 am

redneck47441 wrote:Me and my hunting buddy have had great success with both of ours. Sound selection is key!
your talking about a FP Spitfire?