Pre registered by breeder...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Pre registered by breeder...

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:49 pm

I am curious, if the breeder had pre registered each puppy in the litter with a chosen name, but AKC will allow 1 name change that you could use with the breeders allowance (which is given) would this cause you to avoid the litter? Or would it not matter much to you?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Pre registered by breeder...

Post by Karen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Why would you avoid the litter if you like the breeding?
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 pm

I would not buy a pup I couldn't register and name myself. Why should I have to promote someone elses kennel name for free. You don't get to advertise anywhere else for free. That is essentially what the breeder of the litter is doing. He is naming the pups after his kennel name so can you can do the dirty work of developing the pup into something and he can reap the reward by having his name on it. He!! no. Not happening here.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Why would the name matter? I do whole litter registration and usually end up naming half the dogs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:25 pm

It would only be effective "free advirtising" if every puppy turned out awesome. The breeder must also have a lot of confidence in their puppies to hand them over to be raised in all different ways, with or without any training at all and still carrying the kennel name around with them for good AND bad.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 pm

bigsugar wrote:I would not buy a pup I couldn't register and name myself. Why should I have to promote someone elses kennel name for free. You don't get to advertise anywhere else for free. That is essentially what the breeder of the litter is doing. He is naming the pups after his kennel name so can you can do the dirty work of developing the pup into something and he can reap the reward by having his name on it. He!! no. Not happening here.
+1

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 pm

I am not sure you are answering the question exactly.
You CAN register it yourself with your own name choice, by using AKC's name CHANGE now allowed. Breeder allows that, but the pup does come with a registered name incase you don't care.
So would you consider buying the puppy from the litter and then do the name change when you register, or would you look for another litter?

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I fail to see a big problem. If you like the breeding why look elsewhere? You can change the name and the breeder doesn't care.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:37 pm

This must be an AKC thing. This type of pre registered litters doesn't happen with FDSB bred pups. I would never register a guys pup for him. That should be his thing. Not mine.

BTW the remove the decals of the dealer on our cars.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Some folks can find an issue with anything. I have dog now that is registered under the breeders kennel name, I could care less he did the work and bred the litter. I wanted a pup out of that litter, so I guess I fail to see the issue.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 pm

If a name change is allowed, then there is no issue, in my mind.

Just to be on the safe side, I would get the breeder to sign off on the name change...before any money changed hands.

Folks paid HUGE money to have a dog with an ELHEW prefix. I guess they still do. I never found what you called a dog made it hunt any better.

I guess I am kinda old school about that sort of thing. I actively avoid purchasing clothing that has the maker's name emblazoned on it. I guess I don't like the concept of being a walking billboard, especially if I have to pay for the priveledge.

I remember when you knew that the other guy had a really nice suit or sportcoat because when they opened the coat to get a pen and you saw the inside pocket..there was NO label. That was class. Mine always said "Robert Hall" ...so I kept my jacket buttoned.

I do make an exception for things like Purina (or other sponsor) logo hats and such.

RayG

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 pm

bigsugar wrote:This must be an AKC thing. This type of pre registered litters doesn't happen with FDSB bred pups..
I don't have an issue with it. It might be an AKC thing to ask a buyer to carry the kennel name but I've seen a LOT of FDSB pointer pups carry the Elhew and Miller prefix generations past the point their ancestors left either of those kennels.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 pm

AKC

They have this thing where if people make sure all pups are registerd and they compete in stuff..they get this piece of paper titling them as a Breeder of Merit :roll: ..
AKC Breeder of Merit
Requirements

Has a history of at least 5 years involvement with AKC events.
Earned at least 4 Conformation, Performance or Companion event titles on dogs they bred/co-bred.
Member of an AKC club.
Certifies that applicable health screens are performed on your breeding stock as recommended by the Parent Club.
Demonstrates a commitment to ensuring 100% of the puppies produced are AKC registered.
Oh ps so now pup has been litter registered then breeder register and then name change nickle dime nickle dime all about the $$$$$$$$$$

here is a link to a name change form..
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/ADCG01.pdf
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Knine I didn't realize that. Interesting.

Postoak that's not even the same kind of comparison. Those folks wanted to carry those prefixes due to the success of those two particular lines. Those prefixes weren't forced on them by any means. If you were lucky enough to get a true Miller or Elhew prefix dog you probably (not always) had something pretty nice.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 pm

My boxer came with the kennel name on the registration papers. I really didn't care. She is white (cannot be bred) and deaf. She is my most favorite SS dogs. She is the only dog that I don't mind feeding for doing nothing more than following me around and sliding under my arm for love. She is so self sufficient that she will slide under my hand and move back and forth and pet herself with my hand.

As for my bird dogs. I choose to name my own dogs. I don't feel that you should name my puppy, but Heck I am also one that will not buy from a litter that I don't get to choose my pup. I will not spend money on a pup that someone else chooses for me. If I am spending my good hard earned money I want a dog free from restrictions and I get to name it. Guess I am just picky. If I want to breed it, or dress it up, or just fix it cuz it makes a great house pet then so be it. I get to make that decision. I am an adult, no matter what my wife thinks, and I think I can take care of my dogs and their names. To each his own. If you don't care have at it.

JMO,

Joe

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:56 am

Here's a thought.... if you know the litter you are purchasing from and if you commit before the puppies are registered, ask the breeder to use a name you want used!
All the european registries work this way. I purchased 3 Border Terriers from England, both came registered and named. No big deal, the breeder asked me if I had a preference before she sent the paperwork in.

If I chose to, I could have changed the name when registering them over here. I didn't. But I have changed a name on a dog I purchased here, a slight change, but changed. Again, not a big deal to get done.

Those of you who refuse to use the breeders kennel names.... I just don't get it! Having the kennel name helps others 20, 30 yrs from now to keep track of who was who, from where, timelines and all that stuff. Geeez, you would think you were buying the Hope Diamond!

I ask all puppy buyers to have my kennel name in their registered name. Can't fore em to do it, but I certainly would hope they would. Anyone who out right said no.... I would reconsider selling them a puppy. If they don't wish to cooperate on something as simple as that,,,,,,,, I would have a bad feeling about what else they may not cooperate on in the future.

I will put the kennel name of the breeder on any dog I purchase. It's a sign of respect for their hard work.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:32 am

When I buy a pup I want don't want any strings attached, that includes the breeder naming my dog. If the breeder says he must name the dog, I wouldn't buy from them, if they "requested" their kennel name be included I probably would do it. Their are some breeders out there that have earned the right to make demands on the names, however those breeders have a waiting list for their pups and will pick and chose who will buy their pups. If I hang a title on the dog, I believe I brought just as much to the table as the breeder, if I fail miserably with the dog the breeder wouldn't want their name on the dog anyway. Keep in mind I have retrievers so what needed to title my dogs are different than whats it takes to title pointing dogs. If someone wants to know what kennel my dog came out of, they just have to ask.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 am

If your not happy with the situation walk away..... there are other litters out there.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 am

I currently own four registered dogs, and I am sitting here at work trying to remember their registered names. I am certain that this could be an issue for someone that is chaseing championships and trying to make a name for their own kennel. I can't imagine what difference it would make to the average bird hunter, or guy that goes to a few weekend field trials.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 am

fuzznut wrote:Here's a thought.... if you know the litter you are purchasing from and if you commit before the puppies are registered, ask the breeder to use a name you want used!
All the european registries work this way. I purchased 3 Border Terriers from England, both came registered and named. No big deal, the breeder asked me if I had a preference before she sent the paperwork in.

If I chose to, I could have changed the name when registering them over here. I didn't. But I have changed a name on a dog I purchased here, a slight change, but changed. Again, not a big deal to get done.

Those of you who refuse to use the breeders kennel names.... I just don't get it! Having the kennel name helps others 20, 30 yrs from now to keep track of who was who, from where, timelines and all that stuff. Geeez, you would think you were buying the Hope Diamond!

I ask all puppy buyers to have my kennel name in their registered name. Can't fore em to do it, but I certainly would hope they would. Anyone who out right said no.... I would reconsider selling them a puppy. If they don't wish to cooperate on something as simple as that,,,,,,,, I would have a bad feeling about what else they may not cooperate on in the future.

I will put the kennel name of the breeder on any dog I purchase. It's a sign of respect for their hard work.
Fuzz
+1 And breeding good puppies is hard work.
Tom

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:33 am

fuzznut wrote: If I chose to, I could have changed the name when registering them over here. I didn't. But I have changed a name on a dog I purchased here, a slight change, but changed. Again, not a big deal to get done.
Fuzz
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it is my understanding that it is impossible to do a name change in AKC without the breeders consent. So I disagree with your statement "not a big deal to get it done", if the breeder insists on naming the dog I don't think it would easy to get him to change the name. Now if the breeder named the dog and then signed a name change authorization a time of purchase than I would think it wouldn't be a big deal.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 am

Gordon Guy wrote:
fuzznut wrote:Here's a thought.... if you know the litter you are purchasing from and if you commit before the puppies are registered, ask the breeder to use a name you want used!

Fuzz
+1 And breeding good puppies is hard work.

I agree with Fuzz. Why not give credit where credit is due. The breeder puts in hard work, $$$$$, thought and careful consideration when breeding. As a buyer and doing my due diligence researching a litter/kennel and making that final decision I would be proud to own a dog from the kennel that I end up choosing in the end.

If I didn’t agree with the breeder I would find a different breeder. If I was dead set on a certain litter then I guess I would just live with the breeders requirements and carry on with life. Why sweat the little things.

Bigsugar – there are tons of places you can get free advertising.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:58 am

All the options are outlined on the AKC and other registry sites. IMO, if you have an issue with this, you will probably not be comfortable working within that particular breeder's expectations.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 am

nikegundog wrote: Now if the breeder named the dog and then signed a name change authorization a time of purchase than I would think it wouldn't be a big deal.
Yes that is the situation.

deke

Post by deke » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 am

i dont think it would bother me at all, If the breeder wants his name on the dog let him. That would be like asking Chevy to take all the emblems off their trucks. Now if you drove a ford i could understand , I guess?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 am

deke wrote:i dont think it would bother me at all, If the breeder wants his name on the dog let him. That would be like asking Chevy to take all the emblems off their trucks. Now if you drove a ford i could understand , I guess?
I understand. I drive a Ford and I get really tired of seeing those Chevy badges and logos. :)

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 pm

You can take emblems off the trucks with some 20# fishing line... FYI. I take mine off.

I would keep a kennel name... Most people call their dog by another name anyway. Non issue.

The dog usually will name themselves. Mine was because she was small and kicked arse so I named her after a small kick arse gun with her fathers name and mothers name in consideration. Was funny to drop her off at her mothers owners house and see both of them react when one was in trouble.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 pm

There is huge value in that when researching breeding success, which fuzznut hit on the head:
fuzznut wrote:Those of you who refuse to use the breeders kennel names.... I just don't get it! Having the kennel name helps others 20, 30 yrs from now to keep track of who was who, from where, timelines and all that stuff. Geeez, you would think you were buying the Hope Diamond!
I'm part of the German club that REQUIRES us to name and tattoo every puppy before going home. Each pup carries my kennel name and each litter has a consistent first letter for names, ie first litter = A litter: Axel, Atlas, Andre, etc. I ask my puppy buyers if they have a name they'd like and they can call their pup whatever the heck they want, but it's accepted that the pups are named before delivery. No ego jockeying, no 'credit stealers', no free advertising by naming the pups - each pup is labeled (for better or for worse) for all to see in front of God and everyone!

bigsugar - as for free advertising, it's everywhere! In fact, I'd bet you've PAID for the ability to advertise for someone else. Do you own any Cabelas, Bass Pro, Browning, Coca Cola, Budweiser, <enter company name here> hats, tshirts, coats, or stickers on your truck?

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Yes I dont see the big problem with this ,some people seem to get all uptght about the registered name.. When in reality all it is is a paper name to help people (breeders ) improve the breed by seeing what litters produced great pups that excelled and what litters didnt fair so well if they are tested in some venue ..

and you can call a dog anything the kennel name is only on paper for example you can name and call your dog" Max "even though his registered name is" popyphead von shitzerdoodle" ... so whats the big deal .. If you call him Max his whole life he isnt going to know he has a goofy legal paper name :D

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:57 pm

ACooper wrote:Some folks can find an issue with anything. I have dog now that is registered under the breeders kennel name, I could care less he did the work and bred the litter. I wanted a pup out of that litter, so I guess I fail to see the issue.
+1

Coop, don't you realize that a dogs name, and/or color is the founding principal in determining a dogs success? :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:49 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I am curious, if the breeder had pre registered each puppy in the litter with a chosen name, but AKC will allow 1 name change that you could use with the breeders allowance (which is given) would this cause you to avoid the litter? Or would it not matter much to you?
If you are thinking about starting a Kennel I will point out my observation on this thread. I see about nine people who commented on this thread, also breed dogs I believe. Of the people that don't breed dogs, 40% have a issue with the kennel naming their dogs. As a business perceptive, I would have to say it would not be in your best interested to turn away 20% of your clients, let alone 40%.
Last edited by nikegundog on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 pm

The kennel name and pre-registered deal is a provocative thought . Perhaps the most recognizable sporting dog name is Elhew; after that it appears we drop off pretty dramatically. If I think of pointers the only other pre-fix that comes to mind that is significant is Miller. I do mean of course the pre-fix, not referencing the signigance as a line. In the brittany world, I believe that Nolan Huffman would have had a shot at substantial enough recognition for market value if he has named Last Bullet (Buddy) with a prefix other than "Nolan's." It is hard to adopt that name. The two most copied or used Brittany names to hi-light a dog's heritage are probably Scipio or Tequila. I don't know many "kennel names" of significance in other breeds other than regional ones here in the west though I know some exist.

So....with more competitive venues, and more practicing breeders, I wonder if there will be anymore "Kennel Name" dynasty's? It seems that it will be lightning in a bottle to have a dominant competitor, producer and owners with the right market savvy.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:54 pm

BDK and Uodibar carry a bit of recognition in GSPs.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Alright, guess I am thinking this is two separate issues. I have no issue if I receive the paperwork with the kennel name on it and I get to finish out the name, which is what I dealt with on my boxer. I do however have an issue with the entire name. What is the purpose of the breeder naming each pup? Maybe I have this all wrong. You don't have to pre- register the litter. Just put your kennel name down on the papers and that has to be part of it. If it is in the agreement then there is no issue. I don't understand why all the restrictions.

Joe

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:24 pm

V-dogs that use the German system have to have the individual names turned in by the breeder and they follow an alpha rule. Other breeders, particularly show breeders use themes for each litter.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Back to the OP, no it would not matter to me one bit if the pup already has a registered name, especially since i will probably have my own call name. And especially if i can change the registered name anyways, it seems to be a complete non issue....

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:03 pm

orbirdhunter wrote:Back to the OP, no it would not matter to me one bit if the pup already has a registered name, especially since i will probably have my own call name. And especially if i can change the registered name anyways, it seems to be a complete non issue....
You can't change the registered name, without written permission from the breeder, the same breeder that required their name to be placed on the dog.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

mountaindogs wrote:AKC will allow 1 name change that you could use with the breeders allowance (which is given)
from original question

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 pm

I have no desire to name an entire litter, but do ask people to use my name in front of what they want to use as their name. I figure after breeding for 30 years I deserve that. Never had any issue with anyone not complying.
brenda

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 pm

snips wrote: I figure after breeding for 30 years I deserve that.
AMEN!!!!

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:18 pm

snips wrote:I have no desire to name an entire litter, but do ask people to use my name in front of what they want to use as their name. I figure after breeding for 30 years I deserve that. Never had any issue with anyone not complying.

I don't think a person who breeds a litter "deserves" anything really.

When we breed a litter of pups it's strictly for our own use. We look through them. The ones we don't think will work we do away or sell for a little money or give away. As long as we get what WE are after that's all we're concerned with. The public and what they might be buying and wanting has zero influence on what we breed and when. We're different then most though too. We're only looking to further our OWN string.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 pm

snips wrote:I have no desire to name an entire litter, but do ask people to use my name in front of what they want to use as their name. I figure after breeding for 30 years I deserve that. Never had any issue with anyone not complying.
I agree with Brenda. I have a hard enough time coming up with names for the pups just to keep em straight. :lol:

We "ASK" people to use "PrairieFire" as a prefix, but its not a "HAVE TO" thing. We actually had one of our clients out of New Mexico want to name his dog "Prairie Fire's Hutch" and was told by AF that he had to obtain written permission from us to do so. That was news to me! :lol: Since then, we have given them the option and include a prefix permisson letter.

If people like you and your dogs well enough, they have no problem usually. I see both sides of the fence, and have been on both sides as a buyer and breeder. Personally, I would rather them tell every person that asks about their dog where it came from, than attach our prefix. Most people won't see that anyway.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:28 pm

The other issue is when two high profile breeders go in together. Then, you see So-n-so's Whatever of Other So-n-so. I still think it's kind if shabby that the sire owner has to lease on a co-ownership to get the breeder plaudits from AKC.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:34 pm

bigsugar wrote:

I don't think a person who breeds a litter "deserves" anything really.

When we breed a litter of pups it's strictly for our own use. We look through them. The ones we don't think will work we do away or sell for a little money or give away. As long as we get what WE are after that's all we're concerned with. The public and what they might be buying and wanting has zero influence on what we breed and when. We're different then most though too. We're only looking to further our OWN string.

Do you put your kennel name on pups you buy?

bigsugar

Post by bigsugar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

No I sure don't.

My last few trial dogs.....

Superbad (Jessie)
Sexual Chocolate (Bo)
Black Sabbath (Sam)

No kennel names here. I don't have a kennel. I'm not a breeder. I'm a field trialer. (at least I try to be) :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 pm

bigsugar wrote:No I sure don't.

My last few trial dogs.....

Superbad (Jessie)
Sexual Chocolate (Bo)
Black Sabbath (Sam)

No kennel names here. I don't have a kennel. I'm not a breeder. I'm a field trialer. (at least I try to be) :D
Whelp then I guess thats a non issue!

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I haven't been able to read all the posts. But after our last litter and half of the people not registering their dogs which I guess is their own decision I am going to do things differently this litter. I am going to ask them what they want the registered name to be and send the registration form in FOR THEM. As a breeder I want to be able to account for pup papers and with our last litter the people who didn't register are now coming back to me saying they lost paper work and want to register now and it is just a mess. So I am going to include the AKC registration fee in the sale price and let them pick the registered name out themselves and send it in for them. No more lost paper work!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
I agree with Brenda. I have a hard enough time coming up with names for the pups just to keep em straight. :lol:

We "ASK" people to use "PrairieFire" as a prefix, but its not a "HAVE TO" thing. We actually had one of our clients out of New Mexico want to name his dog "Prairie Fire's Hutch" and was told by AF that he had to obtain written permission from us to do so. That was news to me! :lol: Since then, we have given them the option and include a prefix permisson letter.

If people like you and your dogs well enough, they have no problem usually. I see both sides of the fence, and have been on both sides as a buyer and breeder. Personally, I would rather them tell every person that asks about their dog where it came from, than attach our prefix. Most people won't see that anyway.
If you pay FDSB for your registering your kennel name Yes anyone wishing to use you kennels name will have to have your permission to use it as a first or last part of the registered name ...but They can freely use it in the middle of a registered name

IE any dog that are like ...PrairieFire name name.... or....... name name PrairieFire...... needs permission

but if you see...... name PrairieFire name....... they do not need permission
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm

WOW!!! Tough to understand how so much can be written about a seemingly unimportant issue. Every breeder deserves the right to name his/her pups. Why changing the name would be so important is beyond my comprehension. If a buyer has a problem with that, I would say the motives of the buyer should come in question. The dog can be called Pansie of the Rainbow Woods...if it is a Kick A$& dog, no one is going to care. After all, they can use any call name they like. :lol: :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:09 am

Chukar12 wrote:The kennel name and pre-registered deal is a provocative thought . Perhaps the most recognizable sporting dog name is Elhew; after that it appears we drop off pretty dramatically. If I think of pointers the only other pre-fix that comes to mind that is significant is Miller. I do mean of course the pre-fix, not referencing the signigance as a line. In the brittany world, I believe that Nolan Huffman would have had a shot at substantial enough recognition for market value if he has named Last Bullet (Buddy) with a prefix other than "Nolan's." It is hard to adopt that name. The two most copied or used Brittany names to hi-light a dog's heritage are probably Scipio or Tequila. I don't know many "kennel names" of significance in other breeds other than regional ones here in the west though I know some exist.

So....with more competitive venues, and more practicing breeders, I wonder if there will be anymore "Kennel Name" dynasty's? It seems that it will be lightning in a bottle to have a dominant competitor, producer and owners with the right market savvy.
In the retriever world Candlewoods comes to mind, 11 National Champions out of that one kennel since 1990.