How do you label your stuff?

Knightfarms

How do you label your stuff?

Post by Knightfarms » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm

I am acquiring quite a collection of crap in order to train this dog and go to trials, etc :D ... Seeing as there is a lot of mud, rain, and snow involved, the typical sticker label isn't going to cut it.

How do you label stuff so you're not spending and arm and leg on brass tags but not re-writing your name every couple weeks?
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

SubMariner

Re: How do you label your stuff?

Post by SubMariner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Knightfarms wrote:I am acquiring quite a collection of crap in order to train this dog and go to trials, etc :D ... Seeing as there is a lot of mud, rain, and snow involved, the typical sticker label isn't going to cut it.

How do you label stuff so you're not spending and arm and leg on brass tags but not re-writing your name every couple weeks?
On my scuba stuff I use waterproof permanent markers that you can pick up at any local Staples or craft place.

Haven't had reason to mark the dogs' stuff except for marking collar notch positions.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

moonshinekennel

Post by moonshinekennel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Colored duct tape. Pick a unique color so you can pick out your stuff
At a distance.
Dale

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I knew I could count on you guys... I think I'm too much of a twit and leave my stuff around sometimes, that's why I want to label it. That, and when EVERYONE seemingly has the same stuff; it's good to know whose is whose :)
-Cheryl

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:00 pm

I use Sharpie permenant markers on my dog stuff including bell and e-collars with my telephone # and my name on dummies and such. I also use them to mark field gear at work and they're marking in very durable.

mcclinj

Post by mcclinj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:10 pm

We mark all our equipment at the fire station with heavy duty sticker labels from Darley

http://www.edarley.com/

Search for "Darley Equipment Markers".....They are just a glorified sticker, but with all the abuse our tools go through we rarely lose one. You can order strips with your info on them.

-John

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

+1 for Sanford Sharpies.

They write on darn near anything and if you let the ink dry it will hold up a good long time.

I try to label the semi-pricey stuff that "disappears", like game bags, hole punches, Farrier files, water jugs and such. I also try to do some of the things I have a tendency to leave around, like chocks for my trailer front , dog stakes(on those I use an engraver and then fill in with the sharpie).

RayG

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I have a lot of stuff that is bright PINK! No one really wants to steal it.... but if the do, it's obvious!

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Sharpies, and P-touch labels.. We were criticized our marking our metal bowls with the P-Touch.. that was 2 years ago, and we just had to use a scraper to get them off... girlfriend became wife (name change).... ehehehe.

Black on white, and get the super adhesive for metal, works like a charm.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 pm

I don't label much but when I do I have one of those vibrating engravers and put my name and what ever on either metal or large plastic part's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 am

DonF wrote:I don't label much but when I do I have one of those vibrating engravers and put my name and what ever on either metal or large plastic part's.
+1. That's what I use as well. Works on anything and never comes off.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 am

I mark dog bowls with duct tape and markers...they are all I seem to lose

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:53 am

Fireside wrote:I have a lot of stuff that is bright PINK! No one really wants to steal it.... but if the do, it's obvious!
+1 I could rock the pink. :)

And my dad has an engraver. I used it to write my kids' names on their new fishing poles this summer... might have to go snag that.

P-touch labels stick well? I haven't had much luck getting them to stay put on things in the house, I thought for sure they would curl up and disappear on outside things.
-Cheryl