Best time, 2nd dog?

Croix

Best time, 2nd dog?

Post by Croix » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:51 pm

I know most of you have multiple dogs, someday I hope I will.

When is the best time for a guy to get his 2nd bird dog. My pup is 16 months now and I couldn't be happier. Have heard , too wait till 1st dog is 3 years old. Then you always have one in prime age? I have a male setter and will be following with same.

And I know, two, may not seem a lot to some. But for me that's what I'm after.

Thanks in advance

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Best time, 2nd dog?

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:59 pm

The best time to get a second dog is whenever you want it. :D It would however, probably be best for your sanity to at least wait until the first one is completely broke the way you want. A lot of us have more dogs than we need...It gets addictive. :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:15 am

Best time for a second dog? How about yesterday! Pull the trigger. :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 am

Keep in mind that if you have two young ones now, you'll have two old ones later. Space them out according to your household's maximum capacity, with the future in mind.

From my own experience with keeping multiple males in the house, i'd wait just a little bit. Let your present pup mature before adding another. Then the pecking order will be better established and you could avoid dominance issues that can be very unpleasant. Probably wouldn't matter if you keep kennel dogs, though.

Good luck, adding a pup is fun :D

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:54 am

I always went with once I had the first where I want it. I almost pulled the trigger on a second one at the beginning of the month. You will spend more time with the pup and less on the first dog. Just the way it works. Get your first dog where you want them. This will also help in bringing the pup along. Mine is 10 mos old. I will probably wait until later next year to get a second dog. Hopefully, mine will have shown herself right in the trial world by then. It is hard to say no especially when you see one your really like, and if it is at a great price.

Joe

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:41 am

You for sure want to be careful it is a sickness, birddogger is right it is addictive. It is easy to jump the gun too soon.I also agree with getting the current one where you want him then move on to a second. It is too easy to let the first one slide and work the second more. Also keep in mind the training expense. If you are buying birds to train with or paying a trainer the cost doubles. It doesn't seem as bad if you can stretch it out and train one at a time.
We won't hold it against you if you can't fight off the urge since most of us on here a guilty. Maybe they should start a birddog rehab section on here for all of us who have caved in to the pressure.HEHE

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:28 am

I wanted to wait until my 1st dog was 5 years old, but the right breeding with the right breeder came along and I only lasted until my first dog was 4.5 years old.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 am

Croix,
I agree with the men who advise you that its an individual choice, I have 6 dogs and most are at least 2 years apart in age, so I always have a couple dogs in the prime of their hunting life.
RGD/Dave

Croix

Post by Croix » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks for all the input. Good ideas and suggestions for future thought.

I couldn't be happier with Croix, I hope my expectations are set too high. But as mentioned , I should probably wait until Croix is broke and finished.

Thanks again.