Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

JWP58
Rank: Champion
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:05 pm
Location: N/A

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by JWP58 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:04 am

markj wrote:
you used Italian Greyhounds
Why is everyone so dead set on being MR. right all the time here?

Welcome to GDforum lol
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:16 am

POk3s wrote:
You hunt them to protect the deer and elk herds.
In the Lolo the elk have gone from a herd of 16,000 down to 2,000. Hard to blame anything BUT the wolf for that one. Now, Defender's of Wildlife is trying to stop them from shooting them from planes there. Idiots.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
rkappes
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:04 am
Location: MN

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by rkappes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:50 am

I ran across this, it was published on Jan. 26th, 2012

Minnesota DNR details wolf hunting plan

http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/event/ ... id/233557/

Meller
Rank: 5X Champion
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Meller » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 am

I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)

User avatar
tn red
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Christiana Tn

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by tn red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:12 am

Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
x 100

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 am

Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
The wolf has no loss of habitat; they roam millions of acres. Quail and pheasant need cover. Stop farmers from plowing under game bird habitat and the birds will come back. With birds, waterfowl or upland, it's all about habitat.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: State?...The one where ruffed grouse were.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
The wolf has no loss of habitat; they roam millions of acres. Quail and pheasant need cover. Stop farmers from plowing under game bird habitat and the birds will come back. With birds, waterfowl or upland, it's all about habitat.

Maintaining gamebird populations and gamebird recovery is indeed often about Habitat.
Reasons for a bird decline tho change as that gamebird advances down a decline curve....Habitat then, occupies a different degree of importance to that gamebird.
It is never, ever all about Habitat.
We make that mistake far too often.

For the wolf, while they have, in many areas, possibly millions of acres to roam...the use for the acres and by an increasing number of people on those acres, places them in opposition with far more than in the past.
That is the problem on both sides.

Killing any critter, by helicopter or poison, is a sad and cowardly act thats shows poorly on both the participants and the planners.
Most often, those decisions are driven by frustration and politics....and sometimes, by unreasoning fear and a barbershop mentality.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 am

Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
Welcome to life in the food chain.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

User avatar
ultracarry
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Yucaipa, ca

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 am

They should be treating the wolves as an invasive species in the west. Those Canadian wolves were never a part of the ecosystem. In an attempt to " bring wolves back" into the areas they did not take into account they were introduceing a non native predator that would reproduce faster than they ever imagined.

Think of the wild pig population, non native species that was introduced and is now a disaster. Eurasian doves, non native muscles in certain lakes, non native fish..... Come on. Because someone believes wolves are beautiful animals does not mean they should be put into the ecosystem where they never existed.

Kill them all.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:27 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
Welcome to life in the food chain.
It has nothing to do with the food change but rather some real problems which may never be remedied.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 am

ultracarry wrote:They should be treating the wolves as an invasive species in the west. Those Canadian wolves were never a part of the ecosystem. In an attempt to " bring wolves back" into the areas they did not take into account they were introduceing a non native predator that would reproduce faster than they ever imagined.

Think of the wild pig population, non native species that was introduced and is now a disaster. Eurasian doves, non native muscles in certain lakes, non native fish..... Come on. Because someone believes wolves are beautiful animals does not mean they should be put into the ecosystem where they never existed.

Kill them all.
Where did they release wolves that they weren't native? They were native here in IL and points north and west of here. I have never heard they didn't cross the border. I think the difference is an almost complete change in the habitat in the area which changes the whole eco-system. I don't think we needed wolves re-introduced any where since their only purpose was to control some of the game spicies that were already under control. Beyond that it was just some animal lover thinking it would be neat to see wolves in someone else's backyard.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
ultracarry
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Yucaipa, ca

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 am

The species of wolf (canadian grey wolf) they introduced into Idaho was not native. There was a smaller wolf (rocky mountain wolf) that was a native to Idaho. There are reports that it was making a rebound after the 1080 poisoning program was stopped and sightings had been made, making them an endangered species, and not extinct. This would have made the introduction of Canadian grey wolves a violation of the endangered species act...

The wolves are also supposed to have 1 litter on 1-3 pups a year but have been having one to two of up to six to twelve pups. That kinda throws a huge curve ball when your talking about the population incline while waiting 2-6 years to get them delisted.

Also the only predator (besides humans) that will kill just to kill. Known to dig up black bears and brown bears in thier den just to kill them. Sightings and videos of killing birthing cows and calfs, leaving things to rot. Come on I have more respect for a coyote.

* prob the only reason why Arizona didn't get any Canadian wolves is because they have another version (mexican gray wolf) with tracking collars on.

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:27 am

ezzy333 wrote:
ultracarry wrote:They should be treating the wolves as an invasive species in the west. Those Canadian wolves were never a part of the ecosystem. In an attempt to " bring wolves back" into the areas they did not take into account they were introduceing a non native predator that would reproduce faster than they ever imagined.

Think of the wild pig population, non native species that was introduced and is now a disaster. Eurasian doves, non native muscles in certain lakes, non native fish..... Come on. Because someone believes wolves are beautiful animals does not mean they should be put into the ecosystem where they never existed.

Kill them all.
Where did they release wolves that they weren't native? They were native here in IL and points north and west of here. I have never heard they didn't cross the border. I think the difference is an almost complete change in the habitat in the area which changes the whole eco-system. I don't think we needed wolves re-introduced any where since their only purpose was to control some of the game spicies that were already under control. Beyond that it was just some animal lover thinking it would be neat to see wolves in someone else's backyard.

Ezzy
The TYPE of wolf they introduced in Wyo. was not native. In Mn., Wi., and Mi., the wolves are native to those states. They cross back and forth on the ice from Ontario or wander in. Whole different program and different animal.

Just as Alaskan Moose are larger than Ontario Moose, so Alaskan or N. Canadian wolves are larger than E. wolves.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 am

I know the northern animals are larger by necessity but that doesn't mean it is a different spiece. I had never heard they were different.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:28 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
The wolf has no loss of habitat; they roam millions of acres. Quail and pheasant need cover. Stop farmers from plowing under game bird habitat and the birds will come back. With birds, waterfowl or upland, it's all about habitat.
Exactly and if farmers would leave those hedge rows between fields the way they used to. But farmers need every inch of land to get by too I guess.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User avatar
jlp8cornell
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 664
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:29 pm
Location: Ithaca,NY

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Greyhounds (Hound group), Whippets (Hound group) and Italian Greyhounds (Toy group) are all separate breeds recognized by the AKC. As Ezzy said, the dogs used for hunting are Greyhounds, the largest.

Along these lines, article that was in the NYT last year that some might find interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/sport ... wanted=all

User avatar
POk3s
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 am
Location: Wyoming

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by POk3s » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I know the northern animals are larger by necessity but that doesn't mean it is a different spiece. I had never heard they were different.

Ezzy
It's common knowledge in these parts. Like mentioned above we had the Rocky Mtn Wolf....similar in size to the smaller timber wolf. What was introduced was the Canadian Grey Wolf. Same SPECIES technically but different subspecies. Thus why we have the "thrill killing" of the Canadian Grey Wolf which hunts most of the time just for thrill and practice if you will. Countless numbers of elk kills are come across every year that are barely eaten.

This is what people from other parts of the country don't understand, and it shocks me, especially when hunters say to leave the wolf alone. It's a non-native species that needs to be managed....just like every other form of animal and especially predators. Am I saying wolves have no right on this earth and they should all be killed? Absolutely not but they need to be managed instead of simply aloud to expand to countless numbers so that they can virtually kill off every ungulate in a valley, move to the next valley, kill every ungulate in that valley, and so on.

User avatar
tn red
Rank: 4X Champion
Posts: 638
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Christiana Tn

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by tn red » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:18 pm

Sharon wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
Meller wrote:I find it amazing that we can restock the Wolf with years of reserch and $dollars and can't figure out a way to reintroduce or repopulate Quail. :)
The wolf has no loss of habitat; they roam millions of acres. Quail and pheasant need cover. Stop farmers from plowing under game bird habitat and the birds will come back. With birds, waterfowl or upland, it's all about habitat.
Exactly and if farmers would leave those hedge rows between fields the way they used to. But farmers need every inch of land to get by too I guess.
There are hundreds of acres of habitat without a bird on it.I think its time to look beyond habitat loss seems there are other problems other than habitat loss before turkeys were released here you could move 8-10 covies a day same places now there isnt a bird, the habitat is the same or better.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: State?...The one where ruffed grouse were.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:22 pm

tn red wrote:
Sharon wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
The wolf has no loss of habitat; they roam millions of acres. Quail and pheasant need cover. Stop farmers from plowing under game bird habitat and the birds will come back. With birds, waterfowl or upland, it's all about habitat.
Exactly and if farmers would leave those hedge rows between fields the way they used to. But farmers need every inch of land to get by too I guess.
There are hundreds of acres of habitat without a bird on it.I think its time to look beyond habitat loss seems there are other problems other than habitat loss before turkeys were released here you could move 8-10 covies a day same places now there isnt a bird, the habitat is the same or better.

Yes to the above...for many gamebird species.

And turkeys are not the only factor to wear a black hat...anywhere, as populations slide.
We need to think more and ignore less.

chukarmandoo
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by chukarmandoo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Wolves or Raptors ? Pick your poison. Since the 70's it seems that things started to change and now the end is in sight. Kind of " snowballed " in the last few years. You can't hunt ( or kill I should say ) game 24/7 /365 days a year and have a happy ending to this beautiful story. But I guess it comes down to who can win the most bleeding hearts and it won't be the American sportsman. Dan

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 pm

tn red wrote:
There are hundreds of acres of habitat without a bird on it.I think its time to look beyond habitat loss seems there are other problems other than habitat loss before turkeys were released here you could move 8-10 covies a day same places now there isnt a bird, the habitat is the same or better.
I don't deny that. But habitat is THE key element. Without habitat you will NEVER have birds. With it, you MAY have birds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:21 pm

POk3s wrote: Thus why we have the "thrill killing" of the Canadian Grey Wolf which hunts most of the time just for thrill and practice if you will. Countless numbers of elk kills are come across every year that are barely eaten.
Even without "thrill killing", which wolves do, a typical Wi. wolf eats the equivalent of 18 deer a year. There is a very high fawn mortality from wolves, fawns being the slowest and weakest of deer, so factor that in, an 30 deer per wolf per year is a more realistic figure. This means in Wi. we lose about 24,000 deer a year to wolves. In Mn. it is about 75,000.

In our state, the wolf has a range of about 11,000 sq miles, about 17% of the square miles in our state. No wonder that the hunters that hunt the wolf range complain about a lack of deer sightings. That is a pile of deer to take from a small section of the state.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1630
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:23 pm
Location: State?...The one where ruffed grouse were.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
...a typical Wi. wolf eats the equivalent of 18 deer a year. There is a very high fawn mortality from wolves, fawns being the slowest and weakest of deer, so factor that in, an 30 deer per wolf per year is a more realistic figure. This means in Wi. we lose about 24,000 deer a year to wolves. In Mn. it is about 75,000.

In our state, the wolf has a range of about 11,000 sq miles, about 17% of the square miles in our state. No wonder that the hunters that hunt the wolf range complain about a lack of deer sightings. That is a pile of deer to take from a small section of the state.
Good reason to introduce wolves into Ohio.
Slam the deer....maybe the raccoons.
Just a pipe dream tho.

User avatar
Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4243
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:59 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:
...a typical Wi. wolf eats the equivalent of 18 deer a year. There is a very high fawn mortality from wolves, fawns being the slowest and weakest of deer, so factor that in, an 30 deer per wolf per year is a more realistic figure. This means in Wi. we lose about 24,000 deer a year to wolves. In Mn. it is about 75,000.

In our state, the wolf has a range of about 11,000 sq miles, about 17% of the square miles in our state. No wonder that the hunters that hunt the wolf range complain about a lack of deer sightings. That is a pile of deer to take from a small section of the state.
Good reason to introduce wolves into Ohio.
Slam the deer....maybe the raccoons.
Just a pipe dream tho.
Can they be taught to eat pigs? If so, bring 'em on.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

User avatar
ACooper
GDF Premier Member!
Posts: 3393
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm
Location: Sometimes I'm in Oklahoma

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ACooper » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm

jlp8cornell wrote:Greyhounds (Hound group), Whippets (Hound group) and Italian Greyhounds (Toy group) are all separate breeds recognized by the AKC. As Ezzy said, the dogs used for hunting are Greyhounds, the largest.

Along these lines, article that was in the NYT last year that some might find interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/sport ... wanted=all
Just and FYI:
There are several folks who hunt with whippets, here and abroad.

User avatar
POk3s
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 am
Location: Wyoming

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by POk3s » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:42 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
POk3s wrote: Thus why we have the "thrill killing" of the Canadian Grey Wolf which hunts most of the time just for thrill and practice if you will. Countless numbers of elk kills are come across every year that are barely eaten.
Even without "thrill killing", which wolves do, a typical Wi. wolf eats the equivalent of 18 deer a year. There is a very high fawn mortality from wolves, fawns being the slowest and weakest of deer, so factor that in, an 30 deer per wolf per year is a more realistic figure. This means in Wi. we lose about 24,000 deer a year to wolves. In Mn. it is about 75,000.

In our state, the wolf has a range of about 11,000 sq miles, about 17% of the square miles in our state. No wonder that the hunters that hunt the wolf range complain about a lack of deer sightings. That is a pile of deer to take from a small section of the state.
I'm not arguing that at all. I'm just arguing the fact that we "wouldn't see a wolf that weighs over 100 lbs in the lower 48"....which has already happened countless times in the Idaho/Montana seasons. I agree with you completely.

User avatar
ezzy333
GDF Junkie
Posts: 16646
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 pm
Location: Dixon IL

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:59 pm

I am also not arguing the fact that we don't need a bunch of wolves in this country now to control the ungulate population, but much of what I am reading here is just contrary to everything I know about wolves. Google Gray Wolves and read what it says. The Gray wolf is a subspeice and was native throughout all of N. America Europe and Northern Asia. The other sub-spiece is the Red Wolf that was native in the southern parts such as Mexico and and southern Europe and Asia. The Gray tends to be larger up north but most are not a lot larger. The biggest one which was really large was shot years ago in Alaska and weighed 173 pounds I think it says.

So again, it leaves me wondering where all of the info comes from and what is true and what isn't. That info also documents the killing habits of the wolf amd the areas they use or claim as their own. Very interesting reading.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

User avatar
POk3s
Rank: Just A Pup
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:45 am
Location: Wyoming

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by POk3s » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Here you go. This is THE BEST documentary I've seen done and says everything about what I'm trying to say. If you've got an hour give this a watch. Well worth it and only available free on line for a short time longer.

http://cryingwolfmovie.com/

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 am

POk3s wrote:Here you go. This is THE BEST documentary I've seen done and says everything about what I'm trying to say. If you've got an hour give this a watch. Well worth it and only available free on line for a short time longer.

http://cryingwolfmovie.com/
That was an absolutely riveting and fascinating movie. Thanks for posting the link.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
markj
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: Crescent Iowa

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by markj » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:05 am

I think its just a little confusion, when you called your dogs Italian greyhounds many people automatically think of the akc version
Well I shoulda said egyptian since that is where the entire breed originally came from but I sure didnt want to confuse anyone. We used the retired racers to run the yote to ground then the kill dog was sent in to finish the yote off. The breeders round here refer to them as being from italy and some say england so it is easy to confuse these dogs they are one of the oldest breeds in the world. A lot of states have outlawed usingdogs in any form for hunting which is too bad. I dont see anyone using them around here now like 30 years ago.

We dont have wolfs to worry bout here, just them cougars, heck one was shot in Omaha off 114th and dodge street which s a huge populated area. Before that area was turned residential we used to hunt there, deer pheasant etc. Man just keeps moving in and pushing the game further out. Everyone has to have a brand new house, used just wont do......

Did the DNR release the cougars? They did it with the wolves and many belive they are doing it with the cougars to get teh deer population down.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

User avatar
Sharon
GDF Junkie
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 am

sckwest1 wrote:Do wolves get that big or is that guy a midget? What did that monster weight as he appears to be awful fat besides simply giant. SCK

ROFLMBO.... I'd say photo shopped .

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/inspirati ... ed-images/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 am

Pick up you dog, hold it the same way, and take a picture. Your 60# dog will look gigantic. Not, imagine holding a dog like an Akita the same way. I don't think it's photo shopped at all. It's like holding a fish. Ya can make em' look bigger.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
ultracarry
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2607
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm
Location: Yucaipa, ca

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 am

Agreed.

You see the same thiing with deer, elk, Mt lions,. Just in how you hold them.

User avatar
nikegundog
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am
Location: SW Minnesota

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by nikegundog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am

RoostersMom wrote: Not to be argumentative, but these wolves were not killed in Idaho.... and several sites claim they are hoax pictures. The average Gray Wolf male weighs in at 75lbs. The biggest ever recorded shot was in Canada and it weighed in at 175. The farther north you go, the larger the animals. It is unlikely that the lower 48 will see wolves in the 100lb range. I've never seen those statistics on hounds killed by wolves, but I do know that if hounds are run in the spring near dens, they are really in a lot of danger. My pointer got caught in a leghold a few years past - no damage to her.
The average male wolf in MN (according to MN DNR) weigh between 70-110 lbs. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some 100lb+ wolfs killed here.

User avatar
AG74
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 pm
Location: Echo, OR

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by AG74 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:57 am

This is what people from other parts of the country don't understand, and it shocks me, especially when hunters say to leave the wolf alone. It's a non-native species that needs to be managed....just like every other form of animal and especially predators. Am I saying wolves have no right on this earth and they should all be killed? Absolutely not but they need to be managed instead of simply aloud to expand to countless numbers so that they can virtually kill off every ungulate in a valley, move to the next valley, kill every ungulate in that valley, and so on.
Trent, exactly! What this whole "wolf debate" is about isn't legality, morality, or game managment. It is WAAAY bigger than that. This is the ANTI-HUNTING ESTABLISHMENT versus the American Hunter.

The anti-hunting establishment in this country doesn't think that WE should have the "right" to pursue game for sport. By introducing (not re-introducing) a "super" predator, the Canadian Grey Wolf, they believe that the wolf will essentially "replace" us hunters as game herd management. Soon the protected wolf will decimate ungulate herds to the point that sport hunting will no longer be possible, thus eliminating the American hunter altogether.

It is an ideological battle that we will lose if hunters, ALL hunters, don't band together. Personally, I agree with Ultracarry on his solution to the wolf problem. Or better yet, "re-introduce" wolves in the Portland, Seattle, Missoula, Boise, Minneapolis/St Paul, etc, etc metro-areas. Then we'll see how much the so-called environmentalists like having wolves around. These are the people we are fighting - big city "folk" who vote for this stuff, but have no real idea of the resulting affect. They are organized, and if we don't organize against them, they will win. JMHO. thanks

User avatar
markj
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: Crescent Iowa

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by markj » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Stop farmers from plowing under game bird habitat and the birds will come back. With birds, waterfowl or upland, it's all about habitat.
Now thats very hard to do with corn at 6.50a bushel and it is going to go up, they want to maximize their profit. Around here they leave a "buffer strip" around the fields but there are no game birds why? predation. Not one person set a trap this winter here, turkey population is skyrocketing, yotes run thru thefield behind my house every night, I can hear em yipping and such.

Most of these predators were wiped out years ago for a good reason. Then the dusney crowd come in and nw we hae bleeding heart types decideing what is best for us......they all live in the city too LOL. I say get a few wolves, then turn em loose in a PITA office building while a meeting is going on.....here wolfy wolfy wolfy. They would then maybe understand what the wolf, cougar, owl, hawk etc is all about. Killing our animals. Cant leave chickens out in the pen at night, gotta lock em up. Cant leave the dogs out at night, they too are locked up mainly cause they drag home dead varmints like skunks.....or racoons.

Many pieces to the plan if you want game birds around. Not just cover but food and not so many predators will build up the numbers. or hunt apreserve which is the direction hunting may be going. I walked a huge public field saturday, lots of yote skat, dens, signs of coon and skunk not one bird. This field used to hold a greaat covey of quail and a large number of pheasants.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm

Mark, they have the same number of predators you do in N and S Dak., but they have birds. How do you explain that? What the Dakota's have, is great bird cover and a lot of it. As it diminishes, so will the birds. This year the birds were down 38% and it will continue as more CRP goes under the plow.

I DON'T BLAME THE FARMER!!! They have to eat to, and if it were me, I'd probably do the same.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
MN Bonasa
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:18 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm

I just read Minnesota's plan and Wisconsins plan for this years wolf hunt. Our DNR and Wisonsins DNR have a completely different approach on how to hunt them. Wisconsins has a good vision, they will allow night hunting and hunting with hounds after their rifle deer season, but get to start the season in the middle of october. Minnesota's DNR just doesn't have a clue, their to afraid to offend someone.

User avatar
asc
Rank: 2X Champion
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Crystal River Fl.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by asc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:24 am

I just want to know where I can get one of those cool Dreamcatcher things with a beautiful Indian princess and a white wolf painted on it? :D
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Waterdogs1
Rank: Senior Hunter
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 am
Location: Nampa Idaho

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by Waterdogs1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3HkGXvBMXg This is how we roll them out West. :mrgreen:
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:05 am

asc wrote:I just want to know where I can get one of those cool Dreamcatcher things with a beautiful Indian princess and a white wolf painted on it? :D
Gift shop in any Indian Casino.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

User avatar
markj
GDF Junkie
Posts: 2490
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: Crescent Iowa

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by markj » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 am

Mark, they have the same number of predators you do in N and S Dak., but they have birds. How do you explain that?
I dont have an answer for that excepting that the sd and nd folks put out feed and tend to farm them birds so I dont really know. Now in our area the hunter population is huge and this will put a lot of pressure on the birds. Also there are places still hold birds and others that do not in the same county. I used to have a good crop of wild pheasants in the fields behind my place, havent seen one this year. Quail are still here, but why? I also must ask is the turkey population in SD and ND as large as it is near me? I often see flocks of 100 birds or more now. Some have said the turkeys will eat the ground nesting eggs so I just dont know.

Up in Decataur county there is a huge number of birds, but it is a pay to hunt area now. A place close to where I grew up outside Elk City still holds a lot of birds, seems spotty to me.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

User avatar
nikegundog
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am
Location: SW Minnesota

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by nikegundog » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 am

There's been an interesting story in the last couple months, a wolf collared in Oregon has traveled to Cali. which makes him the first wolf known to the state since the early twenties. He's 2 1/2 years old and has traveled over 500 miles (its believed he searching for a mate) he's known by the name OR7 or "Journey".

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:16 am

He ought to do well in Ca;. lots of bunny hugging joggers there if pickin's get a bit slim. :)
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

chukarmandoo
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by chukarmandoo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm

nikegundog wrote:There's been an interesting story in the last couple months, a wolf collared in Oregon has traveled to Cali. which makes him the first wolf known to the state since the early twenties. He's 2 1/2 years old and has traveled over 500 miles (its believed he searching for a mate) he's known by the name OR7 or "Journey".
That is a touching story, but I think he is looking for the people in California the raised him,then took him on a trip. Oops he ran off with the tracking collor! I've heard a lot of stories about dogs that have traveled acorss the country to get back home. A lot of people out here have wolves for pets. A friend of mine has one that he got from some lady. He keeps it in his backyard. Seems pretty high strung and I never petted it. Has a six foot fence with a hot wire above that. Also this guy is about the size of a deer and just as agile, and he was just a pup the last time I saw it. These guys out here in the west are BIG. When we hunt in Idaho we always hear them, and we never hear song dogs where there's wolves. Dan

User avatar
wberry85
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 9:20 am
Location: Ball Ground, GA

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by wberry85 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm

markj wrote:
you used Italian Greyhounds
Yes we did, there are several sizes dude...... Not the toy stuff, they never set foot on a track.......or did you miss that?

Why is everyone so dead set on being MR. right all the time here?
I agree, this is one of the most argumentative forums I have been a member of. I just dont bother to post most of the time. Too many keyboard warriors. :lol:


We do a lot of coyote hunting down here in GA and I can tell ya they are not an easy animal to hunt. I never heard of anyone hunting them with dogs but you got to be on your game to call one in and get a shot off. A coyote is not a wolf but I imagine would offer a similar and even more rewarding experience.

User avatar
nikegundog
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am
Location: SW Minnesota

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by nikegundog » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm

chukarmandoo wrote:
nikegundog wrote:There's been an interesting story in the last couple months, a wolf collared in Oregon has traveled to Cali. which makes him the first wolf known to the state since the early twenties. He's 2 1/2 years old and has traveled over 500 miles (its believed he searching for a mate) he's known by the name OR7 or "Journey".
That is a touching story, but I think he is looking for the people in California the raised him,then took him on a trip. Oops he ran off with the tracking collor! I've heard a lot of stories about dogs that have traveled acorss the country to get back home. A lot of people out here have wolves for pets. A friend of mine has one that he got from some lady. He keeps it in his backyard. Seems pretty high strung and I never petted it. Has a six foot fence with a hot wire above that. Also this guy is about the size of a deer and just as agile, and he was just a pup the last time I saw it. These guys out here in the west are BIG. When we hunt in Idaho we always hear them, and we never hear song dogs where there's wolves. Dan
Can you post a link to an article about this spin to the story?

chukarmandoo
Rank: Junior Hunter
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by chukarmandoo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't know which part? If you are referring to what I said about dogs returning home from long distances than just do a search for " dog returning home after traveling long distances". If you are referring to people having Wolves than do a search on " Wolf hybrid for sale ". Hope this helps. As for someone doing this with a plan? Don't think so. BUT I do think that there are alot of activist that would release Hybrid Wolves into areas to support reintroduction. Especially in Oregon, where they are protected by the masses of city dwellers that love all the " Disney talking animal shows". Could one make it back? Maybe the owner should have released the mate also! Dan

P.S. One of the reasons thay are on the ISL in the west is Wyoming wouldn't go along with the USDW plan. Wyoming classifies them as non protected in their view. So USDW put pressure on the rest of the NW saying it would not allow hunting in Montana and Idaho until Wyoming got on board. Well Wyoming didn't so after while Montana and Idaho grew a pair and opened a season. I carry some 00 buck when I hunt Chukar and Grouse. Comes in handy some times. Lots of coyotes and cats in my neck of the woods. :wink:

User avatar
nikegundog
GDF Junkie
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am
Location: SW Minnesota

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by nikegundog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 pm

chukarmandoo wrote:I don't know which part? If you are referring to what I said about dogs returning home from long distances than just do a search for " dog returning home after traveling long distances". If you are referring to people having Wolves than do a search on " Wolf hybrid for sale ". Hope this helps. As for someone doing this with a plan? Don't think so. BUT I do think that there are alot of activist that would release Hybrid Wolves into areas to support reintroduction. Especially in Oregon, where they are protected by the masses of city dwellers that love all the " Disney talking animal shows". Could one make it back? Maybe the owner should have released the mate also! Dan

P.S. One of the reasons thay are on the ISL in the west is Wyoming wouldn't go along with the USDW plan. Wyoming classifies them as non protected in their view. So USDW put pressure on the rest of the NW saying it would not allow hunting in Montana and Idaho until Wyoming got on board. Well Wyoming didn't so after while Montana and Idaho grew a pair and opened a season. I carry some 00 buck when I hunt Chukar and Grouse. Comes in handy some times. Lots of coyotes and cats in my neck of the woods. :wink:
I was wondering if there was any experts (biologists) who believed that this wolf is looking for his owner. The wolf in this case was shot with a tranquilizer dart from a helicopter in the wild, I had never heard any talk by experts that felt he was a tame wolf that had been released or anything along those lines. I was wondering if there were any article out where an expert felt that it may be the case.

User avatar
gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie
Posts: 4561
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:38 pm
Location: NE WI.

Re: Great Lakes Wolf Hunting

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:59 pm

nikegundog wrote:
chukarmandoo wrote:I don't know which part? If you are referring to what I said about dogs returning home from long distances than just do a search for " dog returning home after traveling long distances". If you are referring to people having Wolves than do a search on " Wolf hybrid for sale ". Hope this helps. As for someone doing this with a plan? Don't think so. BUT I do think that there are alot of activist that would release Hybrid Wolves into areas to support reintroduction. Especially in Oregon, where they are protected by the masses of city dwellers that love all the " Disney talking animal shows". Could one make it back? Maybe the owner should have released the mate also! Dan

P.S. One of the reasons thay are on the ISL in the west is Wyoming wouldn't go along with the USDW plan. Wyoming classifies them as non protected in their view. So USDW put pressure on the rest of the NW saying it would not allow hunting in Montana and Idaho until Wyoming got on board. Well Wyoming didn't so after while Montana and Idaho grew a pair and opened a season. I carry some 00 buck when I hunt Chukar and Grouse. Comes in handy some times. Lots of coyotes and cats in my neck of the woods. :wink:
I was wondering if there was any experts (biologists) who believed that this wolf is looking for his owner. The wolf in this case was shot with a tranquilizer dart from a helicopter in the wild, I had never heard any talk by experts that felt he was a tame wolf that had been released or anything along those lines. I was wondering if there were any article out where an expert felt that it may be the case.
Wolves travel huge distances. An Arctic White Wolf migrated to Montana years ago and was shot there. We got all of our wolves in Wi. when they migrated here from Mn. and Ontario. Wolves have been seen as far south as Chicago (poor misguided wolves). Where I live, we've shot two all ready and we're about 400 miles from wolf country.

In Idaho they've spread through much of the state.

The wolf could be a pet, but I highly doubt it. They are great travelers.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Post Reply