Does your State require a plug for upland

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Does your State require a plug for upland

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Just interested in how many states require a plug for upland hunting. Minnesota and South Dakota do not.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Does your State require a plug for upland

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Yes they do in all provinces in Canada. Doesn't matter if your hunting for migratory game, small game or big game. All shot guns must be pinned (if using clip) or plugged (pumps and semi's) when hunting in Canada.
You actually must be plugged to hold 2 and the third is in the chamber (most dont realize that).
Last edited by Sharon on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Only for migratory but wish they did for upland. At the rate we're loosing our gamebirds it won't make much difference in a few years.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:Only for migratory but wish they did for upland. At the rate we're loosing our gamebirds it won't make much difference in a few years.

Coveyrise64
It's very sad iosn't it?
40-50 years ago my Dad and i would walk out the door to hunt pheasant. Now pheasants and quail are gone fron Ontario and ruffed grouse is in trouble. All very sad.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Yep, Oregon does. Upland and waterfowl. Thing that get's me is that people know our birds are in trouble but still want to take all the limits they can.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm

DonF wrote:Yep, Oregon does. Upland and waterfowl. Thing that get's me is that people know our birds are in trouble but still want to take all the limits they can.
This is interesting having grown up never having to use a plug in upland hunting, I have never heard of putting three or five shells in the gun as taking it to the limits it was just a common practice.
Last edited by nikegundog on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 pm

I believe for deer Ohio is now down to three but for small non-migratory game I do not believe there is a limit. :?:
There should be if there is not tho.

Pennsylvania scatterguns must be plugged for pheasants..I suppose for other game as well.
Well done PGC...again!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Plugs required in Ohio for all hunting. Funny listening during deer season to the guys who don't plug for whatever reason. I cringe and thank heavens we don't hunt deer like that on our land. :roll:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

A_LOTA_NOTA

Post by A_LOTA_NOTA » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

nikegundog wrote:
DonF wrote:Yep, Oregon does. Upland and waterfowl. Thing that get's me is that people know our birds are in trouble but still want to take all the limits they can.
This is interesting having grown up never having to use a plug in upland hunting, I have never heard of putting three or five shells in the gun as taking it to the limits it was just a common practice. What is the limit of being ethical? I wonder how many guys who shoot double barrels only load one barrel for the sake of being ethical.
I took the post as a limit of birds not the number of shells loaded in a gun

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:52 pm

What about the dudes with extenda mags on autos? :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Kansas doesnt require but I dont really care. I have shot one wild bird this year as I have carried a blank gun on every outing except one..... Just doing my part I guess. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 pm

Elkhunter wrote:What about the dudes with extenda mags on autos? :D
Never used one, however I have had had been on a few pheasant drives were I ran through my fifth shell and was using my auto as a single shot. I hunt the first weekend of SD pheasant season with about 15 guys and a few dogs, the posters do 80% of the shooting, sometimes all the birds come out the same spot so one guy may have 5-25 rooster fly by him in a matter of a minute. Its not that they are pulling the trigger for the sake of shooting, they are knocking down birds with the 4th and 5th. Pheasant drives are the way my grandfather hunted 60 years ago and we still do today, so when someone was talking about a 3rd or 4th shell being absolutly worthless I wanted to see how many guys have had the opportunity to shoot a 4th or 5th shot. IMO hunting behind a dog is more enjoyable, but a nice pheasant drive with good people is enjoyable also.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Just because you have the shell and there is a bird there does not mean that you should use it. I am not trying to tell you how to hunt, I'm just saying that is a lame excuse. Do you have to shoot everything that flies? Really? If you had a 20 shot mag, would you shoot 20 pheasants and stack them up like cord wood? Just curious. Again, I am not looking down my nose or anything - just genuinely want to know.

I could shoot 5 deer with 5 shells some times, but I don't because I don't need to.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Petroplex Hunter

Post by Petroplex Hunter » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm

In Texas you get 3 shots for migratory...no limit for upland :cry:

I've seen entire coveys decimated by groups of hunters....I don't care what you're shooting or how many shells you've got, this is unsportsmanlike and it makes me sick to even think about it.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Plug required in Mo. :(

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Wisconsin - plug not required for small game. I guess when I used a pump gun it always had the plug in it in case I happened upon some woodcock while grouse hunting (migratory bird). I now shoot a SxS and don't ever have to worry about it. Personally, if I had 5 grouse get out of a covey, I would relish the fact that I could spend hours trying to get a shot at another one even if somehow a person was able to shoot 3 or 4 or 5 out of that single group flush. The same would go for pheasant - I want the time to last out in the woods. I don't want to be home in an hour after hunting with my birds and a honey do list to complete. I want to spend the time out there with the dogs and HUNT, not shoot.

I often get into disagreements with people concerning the bag and possession limits for game. Our law is your possession is twice the daily bag. I argue until I am blue in the face that this does not mean you can go and shoot a bag limit of pheasants (2 per day)7 days in a row and have 14 pheasants in your freezer. You are allowed to have 4 birds in your freezer! That's what makes me mad.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

deke

Post by deke » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:50 pm

I believe WA does require your gun to have a plug in it. Not really sure though, becuase all my guns have plugs and I have never taken them out. Also, i shoot an O/U for upland. In WA we are not even allowed to use mechanical broadheads for big game.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Sharon wrote:Yes they do in all provinces in Canada. Doesn't matter if your hunting for migratory game, small game or big game. All shot guns must be pinned (if using clip) or plugged (pumps and semi's) when hunting in Canada.
You actually must be plugged to hold 2 and the third is in the chamber (most dont realize that).
Are you sure about that? Never read that here in New Brunswick, the hunt and trap book explicitly says you have to be plugged for migratory but doesn't say anything of the sort for small game/grouse or big game for that matter.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Plugs are a must in CA

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:33 pm

Winchey wrote:
Sharon wrote:Yes they do in all provinces in Canada. Doesn't matter if your hunting for migratory game, small game or big game. All shot guns must be pinned (if using clip) or plugged (pumps and semi's) when hunting in Canada.
Are you sure about that? Never read that here in New Brunswick, the hunt and trap book explicitly says you have to be plugged for migratory but doesn't say anything of the sort for small game/grouse or big game for that matter.
Well I'm 98 % sure. that's the best i can do. :) talk to Great White at OOD.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Jersey and PA are plugged states. Even for Deer you are only allowed three in the gun. You should see the size of the ticket for no plug.

Joe

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Three max for anything in IL. Which is usually 2 more than I use and can not ever remember using three at anything.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:04 pm

Sharon wrote:
Winchey wrote:
Well I'm 98 % sure. that's the best i can do. :) talk to Great White at OOD.
I don't really think it is an issue here, dog guys generally shoot O/U's/ and are chasing woodcock as well so they need to plug their semis. If you are shooting on the wing in the woods generally the odds of a great shot taking a bird on the 3rd shot is miniscule. The vast majority of bird hunters here are road hunters and just ground and limb swat anyways, a lot don't even know what a woodcock is even though they live in one of the best places in the world for them.

The only good reason I have heard someone have for taking the plug out was from my uncle (a swatter) who just took it out and filled it up so he wouldn't have to carry any shells with him on his hike.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:Jersey and PA are plugged states. Even for Deer you are only allowed three in the gun. You should see the size of the ticket for no plug.

Joe
The only exception in NJ that I know about is the conservation order snow goose seasons where capacity is limited to 7 rounds.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Nebraska has plug for waterfowl & dove---everything else NO plug

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Delaware and Maryland , yes and yes on plugs. 3 shells. I believe Va is 5 for everything but waterfowl of course.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm

MTR wrote:Wisconsin - plug not required for small game. I guess when I used a pump gun it always had the plug in it in case I happened upon some woodcock while grouse hunting (migratory bird). I now shoot a SxS and don't ever have to worry about it. Personally, if I had 5 grouse get out of a covey, I would relish the fact that I could spend hours trying to get a shot at another one even if somehow a person was able to shoot 3 or 4 or 5 out of that single group flush. The same would go for pheasant - I want the time to last out in the woods. I don't want to be home in an hour after hunting with my birds and a honey do list to complete. I want to spend the time out there with the dogs and HUNT, not shoot.

I often get into disagreements with people concerning the bag and possession limits for game. Our law is your possession is twice the daily bag. I argue until I am blue in the face that this does not mean you can go and shoot a bag limit of pheasants (2 per day)7 days in a row and have 14 pheasants in your freezer. You are allowed to have 4 birds in your freezer! That's what makes me mad.
Can you show us the law for your state that says you can only have a possession limit in your home freezer?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm

NJ requires no more than 2 in the magazine.

Interestingly, I came across a Delaware reg that allowed unlimited bag of snow geese and also allowed the shooters to pull the plug on their shotguns. I don't do waterfowl so that was kinda surprising.

I spoke to someone who does do waterfowl and they said that an individual bag of 40 or 50 late season snow geese is not unusual.

RayG

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Three max for anything in IL. Which is usually 2 more than I use and can not ever remember using three at anything.

Ezzy
Come out here and spend a saturday with us during deer season. You are allowed two does at a time and two bucks during shotgun. When we do a drive and push 60 to 200 deer passed the standers, bet you shoot more than one shell.

Best we ever did in one drive was 12 Deer. We normally get 4 to 5 drives in on a saturday. Last season with just the 5 in our club plus 3 youth hunters, we freezered over 98 deer from October to Feb 12th.

Joe

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm

RayGubernat wrote:NJ requires no more than 2 in the magazine.

Interestingly, I came across a Delaware reg that allowed unlimited bag of snow geese and also allowed the shooters to pull the plug on their shotguns. I don't do waterfowl so that was kinda surprising.

I spoke to someone who does do waterfowl and they said that an individual bag of 40 or 50 late season snow geese is not unusual.

RayG
They are trying to thin the population because the snows are destroying the breeding grounds of the Canada Geese, I believe you are also allowed to use electronic calls on them in some states.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm

no plug in AZ for upland (really non-migratory)

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:34 pm

nikegundog wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:NJ requires no more than 2 in the magazine.

RayG
They are trying to thin the population because the snows are destroying the breeding grounds of the Canada Geese, I believe you are also allowed to use electronic calls on them in some states.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/201 ... eese12.htm

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Its also all or most of the country in the spring conservation season....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 pm

birddog1968 wrote:
MTR wrote: I often get into disagreements with people concerning the bag and possession limits for game. Our law is your possession is twice the daily bag. I argue until I am blue in the face that this does not mean you can go and shoot a bag limit of pheasants (2 per day)7 days in a row and have 14 pheasants in your freezer. You are allowed to have 4 birds in your freezer! That's what makes me mad.
Can you show us the law for your state that says you can only have a possession limit in your home freezer?
from the Wi DNR small game regulations:
Possession limit means the total number of a particular game species that a person may
possess at any given time.
page 3 of this PDF http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hun ... smgame.pdf

Have spoken with Game Wardens abut this, and Possession is Possession, you harvested them and you possess them in your home. They treat it the same way as USF&W does with possession limits for migratory birds.
Migratory Possession Limit: It is illegal to possess more than two daily bag
limits, except on the opening day when the possession limit is the
same as the daily bag limit.
try and plead your case with the feds like the guys coming back from North Dakota each year after a week of duck hunting with 30 ducks each - Feds fine you and can revoke privileges. Not good. Same thing can happen if you have a freezer full of ducks, I don't right the rules, I just try to follow them correctly.

I just decided to eatem the weekned we get them and we don't have to worry about it.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 pm

The regulation we've discussed that I can't find on the books is I'm allowed a possession limit of 15 pheasants on my SD license, I live in MN were the possession limit is 6 or 9 (3x daily limit) depending on the time of the season. No where in the regs does it address if I can keep my 15 pheasant limit from SD in my freezer.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't know but what is the reason for so many shells. I hunt and over and under and see no differences in what I can bag vs the guys that shoot multiple shot shotguns.

Very few people I know do any damage with the third shot or more.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 am

MTR wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:
MTR wrote: I often get into disagreements with people concerning the bag and possession limits for game. Our law is your possession is twice the daily bag. I argue until I am blue in the face that this does not mean you can go and shoot a bag limit of pheasants (2 per day)7 days in a row and have 14 pheasants in your freezer. You are allowed to have 4 birds in your freezer! That's what makes me mad.
from the Wi DNR small game regulations:
Possession limit means the total number of a particular game species that a person may
possess at any given time.
page 3 of this PDF http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/hun ... smgame.pdf

Have spoken with Game Wardens abut this, and Possession is Possession, you harvested them and you possess them in your home. They treat it the same way as USF&W does with possession limits for migratory birds.
Migratory Possession Limit: It is illegal to possess more than two daily bag
limits, except on the opening day when the possession limit is the
same as the daily bag limit.
try and plead your case with the feds like the guys coming back from North Dakota each year after a week of duck hunting with 30 ducks each - Feds fine you and can revoke privileges. Not good. Same thing can happen if you have a freezer full of ducks, I don't right the rules, I just try to follow them correctly.

I just decided to eatem the weekned we get them and we don't have to worry about it.
Thats what i do as well, ducks don't last long in my possession :D

I have also questioned game wardens i know as well as a fed warden.....to the letter of the law may be true....but its interpreted differently by different officers....some have stated possession ends at your doorstep, the fed told me if your not being investigated nobodies goin in your freezer, the law is there as another tool for LE to use if necessary in special cases....its a matter of intent, he went on to state they aren't worried about for the guy keeping a few ducks for the grill, stored in the home freezer. Straight from 1 of 1000 horses mouths....

I am sure if i would have asked him, 50 ducks in a camper freezer would be a different story maybe....as a vehicle they are still being transported. If you read thru game laws alot of time things are vague for a reason, so that common sense judgements based on circumstance and intent can be made.

But for me (like you) rarely does 12 ducks or 15 phez ever make it to the freezer :wink: Fresh is best.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:26 am

We may only have a few officers for CA but man they are strict!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:29 am

They have to be, everyone in your state who breaks a fish or game law is under the influence of meth. Have you not seen Wild Justice?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:26 am

jcbuttry8 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Three max for anything in IL. Which is usually 2 more than I use and can not ever remember using three at anything.

Ezzy
Come out here and spend a saturday with us during deer season. You are allowed two does at a time and two bucks during shotgun. When we do a drive and push 60 to 200 deer passed the standers, bet you shoot more than one shell.

Best we ever did in one drive was 12 Deer. We normally get 4 to 5 drives in on a saturday. Last season with just the 5 in our club plus 3 youth hunters, we freezered over 98 deer from October to Feb 12th.

Joe
We used to do that till we all saw how many were wounded and not killed cleanly. Thats when we decided we either quit hunting or do it right and humanely, do now on our ground all hunting is sitting or stalking. I haven't shot at a moving deer in years and have never had to track down one either. Have helped the neibors track a lot though. No one is really able to be sure what is behind a moving deer and from a safety angle it just isn't smart either.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:30 am

Winchey wrote:They have to be, everyone in your state who breaks a fish or game law is under the influence of meth. Have you not seen Wild Justice?
Lol I forgot about that show. Sure is full of tweakers.. Some people even have thier way with pigs.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:19 am

Winchey wrote:They have to be, everyone in your state who breaks a fish or game law is under the influence of meth. Have you not seen Wild Justice?
No doubt - it's no wonder the general public thinks hunters are losers. :roll:

If I get one more 'dumb hunter' joke from my sister-in-law I swear I'm going straight to their house and I'm gonna drop-kick her computer through the neighbor's pine trees. :evil:

asc

Post by asc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Fl. yes plugs for upland, waterfowl, and migratory. 5 shot limit for lg game.
We shoot (at) deer in front of dogs, lot more fun than sitting in a tree and harvesting them, more sporting too imo.
Some still shoot from horseback too.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:34 am

3 shot limit in ND.