Kennel Ideas

RayJ

Kennel Ideas

Post by RayJ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:43 pm

I know this topic has been beat to death but I need some ideas from you guys. Does anybody have any ideas for building a sufficient kennel with small space? I have two runs that are each 6x12x6 and will be having a slab poured. I live in an area that has cold winters and hot summers. Budget is limited, so my question is, has anybody built a smaller outbuilding that fed out to the runs. I was thinking something like an aluminum shed with 2 - 4x4 runs inside that would lead to the outdoor runs but figured that would be way too hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Worst case, can I get away with building a roof over the 6x12x6 runs and just having dog den 2 houses? Obviously would like to have some structure for them to get out of the sun and wind but if I can get away with it I can settle for that.

Any pictures of a similar sized kennel to mine or ideas of what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

gotpointers

Re: Kennel Ideas

Post by gotpointers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 pm

I currently have concrete runs and i am getting ready to try gravel. Some dogs are messy in the kennel and sling water everywhere. Scott type kennels are great elimianting the mess. Cover the north side on what you've got for the winter. Move the tin to the south side for summer. Tin over the top combined with the dog dens you should be good to go.

Buckeye_V

Re: Kennel Ideas

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:37 pm

I bought a tool shed and bird pen from a local amish barn builder and they built custom dog kennels with small inside runs too. I thought they would work fine. I have no idea how much he charged for them, but if I were thinking of an option like you I would seriously consider them. Might try one of those steel carports fopr like $1000 and then add some ceiling fans underneath. You could put several runs under one of those and then put dog boxes in the run. I saw a guy who built wood boxes and then placed a shop light in a tin bucket for heat in the winter. Worked fine. Dogs were fine.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520