All I want to do is smack her.

jcbuttry8

All I want to do is smack her.

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Sorry, just need to vent.

So, we have our first trial of the season tomorrow. It is our first AF trial and I was stoked to be running Kona in the pup and the derby. She has been doing extremely well on birds and holding good. Sometimes not even a step.

So, the last two trips out on birds, she just hung the finger out the window and tore up the yard. Put her out on birds today just to run through it one more time and make sure that the last trip out wasn't just a fluke. She busted every bird. Didn't even slow down, forget the pointing.

So, tomorrow we will be playing with all the other pups but pulled her out of the derby. Don't want to continue bad habits on the birds without control and will not put another dog in a position to lose or pick up a bad habit due to my pup.

That is how it works with youngsters. Pain in my A#@.

Joe

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: All I want to do is smack her.

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:57 pm

I m sure you know this, but you do not "have" to point birds in Puppy OR Derby. But your point about not encouraging this behavior holds some water. In those stake, do NOT worry about the other dogs...odds are they won't even be near you. I would run her in both...good for you too.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Actually, if you speak to most of the AF trial guys, the derby dogs are all but broke. They have to at least be steady to the flush, but that is not the point. I don't want secure the habit that she seems to be playing with now.

Joe

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:28 pm

I commend you for making that decision, too many people get too excited about a derby ribbon and leave a young dog down that is picking up bad habits! I would have liked to seen your dog go, I will be down on Sunday ( the weather man might ruin that). Good luck in the puppy.

Derby for a season, shooting dog for the rest of their life.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:09 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:Actually, if you speak to most of the AF trial guys, the derby dogs are all but broke. They have to at least be steady to the flush, but that is not the point. I don't want secure the habit that she seems to be playing with now.

Joe

Good decision. There's a lot to be said for an older, predictable dog. Her day to shine will come.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:35 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:...if you speak to most of the AF trial guys, the derby dogs are all but broke...
Believe me I know, then again who knows if they really r derby aged. :) A good judge can separate the good ones with or without bird work. True, most judges will set the parameters ahead of time that they want to see XYZ in the derby stake. I personally think they may be jumping the gun if they want to see bird work...may not happen. Derbies are to show potential to be a good Shooting Dog.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Some may be different than others and the trial tomorrow may just be one of those that they don't care about the bird work. I do. I have seen way to many dogs allowed to do things just because it is a puppy or derby stake. I am now seeing those same trialers trying to break those pups with several issues that they really shouldn't have to deal with, and it is their own fault.

I would rather sit out a few and work more on birds and get her fit and back on track, then let her jump into birds and think this is what dad wants. I have been building the run alot lately. We have worked birds everytime but it may not have been enough. So we will spend a little more time with the birds and less time on the quad the next couple of weeks. We have a big walking trial on the 17th. She is in two derbies so we will shoot for that trial.

Joe

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Has she had a heat cycle yet?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Bring her on down here for a day Joe........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

No Casey. I truly expected the heat cycle to get me. Just my dumb luck.

BD68, I was just thinking today about coming down to see ya. I know you are up in Harrisburg but next weekend I should be free for the weekend, maybe we can come down and run with your trouble makers.

Joe

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:No Casey. I truly expected the heat cycle to get me. Just my dumb luck.

BD68, I was just thinking today about coming down to see ya. I know you are up in Harrisburg but next weekend I should be free for the weekend, maybe we can come down and run with your trouble makers.

Joe
Would you like to place a bet on this being a "girl thing?" :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:50 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:No Casey. I truly expected the heat cycle to get me. Just my dumb luck.

Joe
Friday I am booked solid in Dover, then I've got to go back to Harrisburg to finish up the show thru Sunday....

How old is the dog now? and I concur with CC i think that time of the year is upon you :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm

She is 10months now.

We will have to figure out a weekend in the future.

Joe

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:05 pm

She isn't swelling any but her momma was fixed after this litter due to the fact that once in heat she would eat kennels to get some loving. I believe three total.

Joe

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 pm

I think you made the right call. Are you sure the issue isn't just the simple fact that she's a pointer? :lol: sorry just kidding.....had to stir the pot a little!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Heard of that and some fixes. Talk to an experienced pro and you will be able to fix it...

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:19 pm

took her out to the club today and did some yard work. Then we put her on a few birds and she stuck it like a champ. Looked darn good doing it. Dropped two pigeons and then released the third from the trap and she didn't even take a step. I think she just got the bug and wanted to remind me that she is still a pup and to slow down a bit. Point well taken.

Joe

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:32 am

That's why I let me doggies have fun for a few years and then start to slowly break them. I will, however, pull her them if they are being total buttheads on the ground. That does include ripping too many birds.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520